Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times

Advertisements

I'm from Florida born and raised, but just moved to Nashville last year and I would say that Atlanta feels the most connected to Nashville to me even though Memphis, Louisville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville would seem to be the logical choices. Something about Nashville makes me feel like Atlanta is Nashville's closest family member.

As for my Florida cities well I lived all over Florida and Orlando and Miami seem connected the most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Proof that Pittsburgh doesnt have a true peer....

Right here on CD Pittsburgh has been said to Characteristics of:

Philadelphia
Chicago
Buffalo
St Louis
Birmingham
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Seattle
Eastern Europe
Portland
SF
NYC
Boston
Minneapolis
Charleston

Now I'm from the burgh and I dont agree with alot of these cities listed or have never been to make judgement...

But I mean how can you say you have a true peer when people say they see a little of each of these cities in the Burgh or the Burgh reminds them of these place with usually one caveat.

Pittsburgh really has no peer if you can see a little of Pittsburgh in each of these cities, that makes it Unique.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM

36 posts, read 75,683 times
For my city, Chicago I would have to say Philadelphia. Some people like to compare Chicago to NY but outside of both having big skylines and mass transit systems, there's not much else in common between the cities. New York is Chicago on a MUCH bigger scale. Chicago is 2.9 million people versus New York 8.3 million. Chicago and Philly's population is closer with Philly being at 1.5 million. Both Chicago and Philly have similar population densities.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But I mean how can you say you have a true peer when people say they see a little of each of these cities in the Burgh or the Burgh reminds them of these place with usually one caveat.

Pittsburgh really has no peer if you can see a little of Pittsburgh in each of these cities, that makes it Unique.
Ummmm, EVERY city is unique. No city has a clone; that's why the title of the thread is "Your city's closest peer," not "Your city's identical twin."

This is a very simple thread; no need to go overanalyzing things.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I agree on Chicago and Philly.

Also, Seattle and Minneapolis/Twin Cities. Very literate cities with diverse in-city populations made up of fairly recent immigrants from a broad spectrum of places with far less diverse metros. Very northerly latitudes and with a strong emphasis on water. Fairly isolated from most other major metros. Vibrant music scenes that have hit the national stage before. Strong, large public universities. Similar progressive politics within the city. Fledgling light rail lines.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
Columbus > Indianapolis > Charlotte > Sacramento > Austin > Nashville > Minneapolis

Having just returned from a few days of business in Minneapolis, I was immediately struck by how "amazingly alike" these two cities are ... I actually saw "alot of Columbus in Minneapolis".

Apart from both of these cities being absolute "Midwest Success stories", there were also many other shared attributes ...

I'm thinking a new thread is in order soon, a "Columbus vs Minneapolis" thread.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Ummmm, EVERY city is unique. No city has a clone; that's why the title of the thread is "Your city's closest peer," not "Your city's identical twin."

This is a very simple thread; no need to go overanalyzing things.
No Not really - Those cities in the Sunbelt are anything but Unique....I'm sorry they all look alike....

Pittsburgh closest peer would have to be IMO Philadelphia

Both cities fell and are recovering at the same time (while Pittsburgh did fall a little bit harder)

Both cities are vicitms of Redneck Pennsylvania

Both cities have the same type of Blue Collar blood running thru them

Same types of housing stock

Seriously a Philadelphian and a Pittsburgher can transverse both cities without feeling a culture-shock in the slightest except for Philly proximities to NYC and the beach...Hell you can even get real Cheesesteaks in the Burgh now...

and its the same type of Non-pretentious work hard ethics in both cities.

Yes Yes Yes we all know Philly is the bigger city and more things are going to come along with that....

Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
No Not really - Those cities in the Sunbelt are anything but Unique....I'm sorry they all look alike....
This is probably the most ignorant thing I've ever read on here. If you think that Charleston, Nashville, Birmingham, and San Antonio (just four examples, for starters) are all clones of each other, then you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Seriously, this is such an enormously stupid statement that I refuse to think that you're really this ignorant. To not be a fan of Sunbelt cities is one thing, but to say that they're not unique and all look alike? That's an extremely ignorant point of view and I wouldn't even repeat that nonsense anywhere else.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 PM

396 posts, read 601,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Except that Charlotte is BIGGER than Atlanta
charlotte and atlanta are probably the most similar in their land development pattern - very low density sprawl/cul-de-sacs, hilly topography, lots of creeks, and no street grid outside of the downtown core. charlotte is also, interestingly, a relatively major airport hub.

other than that, the two are completely different animals - atlanta was a major focal point of the civil rights movement, is much more of a college town, (too many to list here) is a state capitol, has more of a diverse economy, is one of the primary media hubs of the US, is much more diverse, has much more of its historic core remaining (i think there are only a couple of historic high-rises left in dt charlotte) etc etc. charlotte is in a much more multi-polar state than atlanta, with 3 million plus metros. atlanta was also growing at a notably faster rate 30 years ago when it was in position similar to what charlotte is in now.

i don't think there is any one good city to compare atlanta to at this point; if charlotte takes off over the next few decades it'll probably be her closest sister.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Chicago-Toronto (that is the closest city to being like Chicago there is, IMO)
Houston-Dallas
Austin-Sacramento, Columbus, Indianapolis, & Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City