Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'll start calling Seattle a "big city" when it builds freeways through passes so people can get to their homes in an adjacent valley like in Los Angeles and when it has more people than Houston.
Ok you dont make sense Seattle does have passes there like 10,000 ft up in are mts. I 90. And in city we have hills and tunnels like the mt baker tunnel on I 90. and beacon hill tunnel . why go over put the trains and freeways through tunnels. And the water we have 2 of the three largest floating bridges in the world in Seattle crossing lakes. And what kind of statement is it when you say Seattle wont be considerd a large city tell its as big as Houston. So any city to be considerd big needs to be several hundred square miles large. So were all supposed to start basing all other cities of Houston wow your city isn't the perfect city to base all cities on and your perception of how to judge large cities is warped. Ok were going to name all the large cities in the USA hmm lets just compare them to Houston if there bigger than Houston there big huh. Yeah thats a great way to judge cities.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Is nightlife in Houston really that great? I feel like Seattle has better neighborhood bars, but I could be wrong there.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
My vote goes to Seattle. Being more compact and dense than Houston makes it seem more "big city" like even if it's a smaller city.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 PM

163 posts, read 525,698 times
Seattle is a denser "small" big city. Houston is a less dense massive city.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM

443 posts, read 877,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Culture - Houston
Food - Houston
Nightlife - Houston
Downtown - Seattle
Distinct Neighborhoods - Seattle
Density - Seattle
Skyline - Seattle
Walkable - Seattle
Vibrancy - Seattle

Seattle is far more urban but Houston is much larger, so both have a big city feel, but in different ways. Seattle's big city feel is more in the vein of Chicago/SF/Boston (but to a lesser extent), while Houston's big city feel is more in the vein of LA (but to a lesser extent).
I totally disagree about food and nightlife - I think they go to Seattle.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Not even close.

Houston by a mile. Those of you choosing Seattle probably haven't been to both cities. While Houston does have some open lots in downtown, the overall Houston area is much more massive and big city feeling than Seattle, which runs into nothing about ten miles east of downtown (despite being long and narrow along the sound).

Some of you are so biased against the South and sunbelt, that when you haven't been to both places, you choose the wrong choice.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Architecture- Seattle
Big city vibe- Houston
Culture - Houston
Density - Seattle
Distinct Neighborhoods - Seattle
Diversity- Houston
Downtown - Seattle
Food - Seattle
Nightlife - Houston
Scenery - Seattle
Skyline - Seattle
Transportation- Seattle
Walkable - Seattle
Vibrancy - Seattle

Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Not even close.

Houston by a mile. Those of you choosing Seattle probably haven't been to both cities. While Houston does have some open lots in downtown, the overall Houston area is much more massive and big city feeling than Seattle, which runs into nothing about ten miles east of downtown (despite being long and narrow along the sound).

Some of you are so biased against the South and sunbelt, that when you haven't been to both places, you choose the wrong choice.
10 miles East of downtown Seattle is Bellevue, a completely different city with a very different feel, although I certainly wouldn't call it nothing. Your comment makes me question your knowledge of Seattle.

About 8 miles north of Downtown Seattle (still within City limits) is this, though: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=8...,2.83,,0,-0.09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City