Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the top mid-tier city in the Pacific Northwest?
Victoria, BC 22 62.86%
Kelowna, BC 2 5.71%
Kamloops, BC 1 2.86%
Bellingham, WA 6 17.14%
Bend, OR 3 8.57%
Eugene, OR 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 AM

122 posts, read 189,941 times

Advertisements

The Pacific Northwest is home to a number of compelling mid-tier cities. Many visitors are captivated by Victoria, BC, while outdoors publications praise Bellingham, WA.

So which mid-tier PNW city wins in terms of livability, culture, and beauty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Victoria really has the nicest urban environment and setting of those cities. Yes, it's a tourist town, but it's go a beautiful downtown around the Inner Harbor and a lot of the outer neighborhoods are very well situated, some very nice places up around the hills near the provincial governors mansion.

Eugene is just a nice college town, I've never found it to be as exciting as people make it out to be. They need a better downtown. Bellingham has a great location, but it feels like three different towns sorts of combined into an unconnected small city; Some nice areas and some other areas are fairly bland.

Bend is basically the closest place the Northwest has to a big Colorado or Southwestern town--it's a great place if your an Oregonian for ski vacations, though the livability factor gets cut down if you count find a job in the weak economy there--though there's a lot of cool places around there if you like the outdoors.

Never spent much time in Kamloops. Kelowna is a pleasant enough tourist resort type town... When I lived in Edmonton all my classmates famiy would take vacations to the Kelowna/Okanogan area. I haven't been there in some time though...

Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 PM

136 posts, read 244,362 times
There are so many great towns missing. Leavenworth, WA; Newport, OR; Port Townsend, WA; Coeur d'alene, ID just to name a few

Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
There are so many great towns missing. Leavenworth, WA; Newport, OR; Port Townsend, WA; Coeur d'alene, ID just to name a few
None of those could reasonably be called mid-tier cities; most of them have around 10,000-20,000 people. I'd say having a metro population of 100,000-300,000 counts and not being part of another metro(though maybe on the edge of another major city). So, perhaps

Oregon:

Salem
Eugene (Springfield counts as part)
Medford (Ashfield could be included)

Washington:

Bellingham
Olympia
Tacoma
Everett
Spokane

British Columbia:

Victoria

Not sure about the rest, but ones outside of SW BC feel like they're too far to be part of the Pacific NW

Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 PM

^^ I left out Everett and Tacoma because they serve to some degree as suburbs of Seattle. That's the same reason I didn't include Surrey, BC or Vancouver, Washington.

Olympia would probably have been a good choice to include, in retrospect, on this survey.

On the other hand, Spokane with a metro population of 500k+ is almost too big to include with these other cities.

Interesting to see Victoria, BC running away with this. It really is a remarkable city for its size.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Victoria is a very pretty town. However, I would not want to live there. It's just too isolated for me. I'd hate having to deal with the ferry situation to get off the island.

Besides, this is a U.S. thread ...

Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 PM

There are plenty of examples at CityData of Canadian cities being included in city vs city comparisons in the U.S. thread. Comparing cities like Victoria and Kelowna to nearby Bellingham is appropriate, unless the mods argue otherwise.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
The Pacific Northwest is home to a number of compelling mid-tier cities. Many visitors are captivated by Victoria, BC, while outdoors publications praise Bellingham, WA.

So which mid-tier PNW city wins in terms of livability, culture, and beauty?
Kelowna and Bend.

Kelowna and the Okanagan Valley are beautiful. From ski slopes to vineyards.

Bend gets 300 plus day so of sunshine a year. Really pleasant place to live.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Olympia definitely belongs on this list as well.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Victoria has some advantages over the other "mid-tier" metro areas. Not only is it the provincial capital of BC, but Statistics Canada puts the urban area at 363,000 people, and it's the center of commerce for most of Vancouver island, which makes the city feel a bit more important that it would be if it were somewhere off to the east of Vancouver itself, for example.

Victoria International Airport handles around 1.5 million passengers per year, which is hundreds of thousands more than - for example - Eugene's 680,000. So it has more "big city" services than most other mid-tiers. And that's all in addition to the fact that it is a really nice-looking city in many areas, with the waterfront and the turn-of-the-century baroque revival architecture. Beacon Hill Park reminds me of a smaller Point Defiance Park (in Tacoma).

If we're including areas the size of Kamloops (around 90,000 or so), we'd add in Medford, Roseburg, Salem, and Corvallis-Albany (Oregon), Yakima, Wenatchee, and the Tri-Cities in Washington, and Kelso-Longview on the WA-OR border.

Victoria would still win, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City