Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That is exactly why I didn't bring up Minneapolis-St. Paul. Most people know that area as the Twin Cities. That's how the market it. Not to mention that St. Paul has a stronger identity that it is the political capital of it's state. When you look at it, MSP is not a good comparison with DFW.

But the Dallas Cowboys play in what many perceive as a suburb of Dallas. People don't know much less care that it is a suburb of Fort Worth seeing as how people think Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas itself. The Texas Rangers only moved to Arlington because of it's close proximity to Dallas in 1970 considering at the time, it was 8th largest city in the nation that year and Fort Worth was 33rd.
Nope you ever heard of a minor league baseball team called the Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs 1965-1971.

The Spurs set many Texas League attendance records, especially after Turnpike Stadium expanded to a capacity of 20,500 in 1970.[9] The Dallas-Fort Worth area was considered a prime location for an expansion team or a re-located franchise, and nearly was admitted to the National League in 1969. But the league instead expanded to Montreal, Canada, with the Montreal Expos.[10]
Two years later, the struggling Washington Senators received American League permission to transfer to the area, and the Spurs were succeeded in 1972 by the Texas Rangers,[11] who moved into Turnpike Stadium (rechristened Arlington Stadium).[

Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Ha!!! I have been hearing the "FW area" a lot more recently. Watchout Dallas, it is gonna be the FW Metroplex soon

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM

190 posts, read 430,277 times
what you ft. worth folks can't seem to figure out is how annoying it is for you to bash Dallas and then talk about how ft. worth doesn't care and just does its own thing. if its such a great city why must you always discuss it relative to dallas? why are you so proud and vocal about your disdain for dallas? because people from ft. worth bash dallas FAR more than the other way around. in fact, lots of people in dallas think ft. worth has some cool stuff and enjoy visiting every now and again. but when people start saying: it should be FWD or talking about how the cowboys and rangers playing in arlington means anything for Ft. Worth other than the boon of relative proximity compared to if the cowboys still played in their home city (it doesn't- if anything arlington has passed ft. worth in nationwide recognition)- it just makes it seem like the city is seriously insecure, vengeful, and perhaps delusional about their own place within the metro, region, state, and country.

ft. worth is a good city that can certainly be a great city somewhere down the line. but it really isn't at this point, and pointing to sundance square or the stockyards over and over again doesn't sell ft. worth as a utopia but as a one (or two) trick tourist pony (not that it necessarily is). again, this is not hate, i dont hate ft. worth, i just want y'all to get a better grip on reality.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That is exactly why I didn't bring up Minneapolis-St. Paul. Most people know that area as the Twin Cities. That's how the market it. Not to mention that St. Paul has a stronger identity that it is the political capital of it's state. When you look at it, MSP is not a good comparison with DFW.
Pretty much what I was saying. Don't forget, 35E and 35W run through each metro

Quote:
But the Dallas Cowboys play in what many perceive as a suburb of Dallas. People don't know much less care that it is a suburb of Fort Worth seeing as how people think Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas itself. The Texas Rangers only moved to Arlington because of it's close proximity to Dallas in 1970 considering at the time, it was 8th largest city in the nation that year and Fort Worth was 33rd.
And up until last year, the Cowboys played in either Dallas itself and later on, Irving, which is considered a suburb of Dallas (although a case could be made for it being a "Mid-City" as well). Arguably, they are the most famous team in the area, and that goes a long way towards perception as well. Most people couldn't care less about the Dallas Cowboys are now playing in Arlington. Sad, but true.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth is one of the most underated cities in America. You just don't get this in Dallas. Look at that historic architect. The CBD just doesn't look like your typical Sun belt city. The new street car system is just going to give it more flavor in the future. The TRV is going to take the city to a new level. If we can get a couple 60+ towers downtown that would really make my day. Cities like Portland and San Fran often get glorfied because of its uniquness but Fort Worth offers some charm as well. We are just overlooked but the blame should be put on Fort Worth for not showcasing the city to the world.

I had no idea
I love that architecture FW has going on there.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
what you ft. worth folks can't seem to figure out is how annoying it is for you to bash Dallas and then talk about how ft. worth doesn't care and just does its own thing. if its such a great city why must you always discuss it relative to dallas? why are you so proud and vocal about your disdain for dallas? because people from ft. worth bash dallas FAR more than the other way around. in fact, lots of people in dallas think ft. worth has some cool stuff and enjoy visiting every now and again. but when people start saying: it should be FWD or talking about how the cowboys and rangers playing in arlington means anything for Ft. Worth other than the boon of relative proximity compared to if the cowboys still played in their home city (it doesn't- if anything arlington has passed ft. worth in nationwide recognition)- it just makes it seem like the city is seriously insecure, vengeful, and perhaps delusional about their own place within the metro, region, state, and country.

ft. worth is a good city that can certainly be a great city somewhere down the line. but it really isn't at this point, and pointing to sundance square or the stockyards over and over again doesn't sell ft. worth as a utopia but as a one (or two) trick tourist pony (not that it necessarily is). again, this is not hate, i dont hate ft. worth, i just want y'all to get a better grip on reality.
What does Dallas have of any significance outside of a big hub for corporate headquarters. The only major project that has had any success this decade is Uptown. Dallas is a pretentious town with no substance. I hope the Trinity River project and the Arts district live up to its full potential unlike Victory Park. I give major props to DART expansion A+ in my book.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM

i love it when you cement my points for me. come over to dallas and i'll give you a tour. i'm dead serious.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM

let's see:

dallas has a federal reserve bank, has highly regarded medical facilities and schools, has a decent and expanding light rail system, has the largest urban hardwood forest in the country, has one of the country's best urban lakes, has numeorus corporate headquarters, is responsible for producing and nurturing some of the most influential blues and roots musicians of all time, has incredible architecture all around, has numerous established unique neighborhoods, has Fair Park, has a lot of political/historical significance within the state and country, is not merely a hub for but also the birthplace of lots of the large corporations you speak of. we have some of the country's best restaurants and an extremely eclectic mix of dining options. shall i continue?

no major successful projects? uptown is bigger than all of downtown ft. worth, not to mention that downtown dallas is far bigger than downtown ft. worth. you have little to no idea what you are talking about if you think that all the recent projects in dallas have been a failure.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Told you guys, it STILL gets ugly.... over 150 years, and no matter how much the cities help, there's still that "bad neighbor" feeling.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM

then quit stirring the pot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City