Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why there were excluded from the analysis- Do you believe that Atlanta, Houston, and Miami are heads above either Dallas or Philly - it was unscientiifc, but so was the score that this analysis was providing by not including them
Ill say the same thing I said in the other thread.

The issue to me is not whether Houston and Atlanta are more globally important than Dallas or Philly. That is a non issue to me.

What is an issue to me is that cities like Chongqing, Dublin, and Dhaka are on there. I have been to all three and done work in all three (never fly Biman Bangladeshi airlines by the way) and I can say comfortably that none of the above are as important as Dallas or Philly globally and economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I'm glad to see an American city being number one. The surprise to me was San Francisco & Washington DC, both of which are going to rise up the list though.

Los Angeles has benefited greatly by port services. Bay Area & Seattle are both greatly going to increase too, you've got a great point, in time I can see Bay Area surpassing much on that list to crack the top 10.
They already are from last year.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,131 times
The city with the worst roads in the world is #1! Next we will have Tarawa as #1 or what?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
A bit more detail on how exactly this ranking was sorted,
Quote:
So what makes a Global City? Not size alone, that's for sure; many of the world's largest megalopolises, such as Karachi (60), Lagos (59), and Kolkata (63), barely make the list. Instead, the index aims to measure how much sway a city has over what happens beyond its own borders -- its influence on and integration with global markets, culture, and innovation. To create this year's rankings, we analyzed 65 cities with more than 1 million people across every region of the globe, using definitive sources to tally everything from a city's business activity, human capital, and information exchange to its cultural experience and political engagement. Data ranged from how many Fortune Global 500 company headquarters were in a city to the size of its capital markets and the flow of goods through its airports and ports, as well as factors such as the number of embassies, think tanks, political organizations, and museums. Taken together, a city's performance on this slate of indicators tells us how worldly -- or provincial -- it really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
What is an issue to me is that cities like Chongqing, Dublin, and Dhaka are on there. I have been to all three and done work in all three (never fly Biman Bangladeshi airlines by the way) and I can say comfortably that none of the above are as important as Dallas or Philly globally and economically.
You have to understand, Dublin, as the capital of Ireland, is going to be a more important center for culture, education commerce,politics, finance, etc than Dallas, capital of North Texas, even if the Metroplex is more populated and has a larger GDP. So, I can understand Dublin being more important. Dhaka to a much lesser extent, but I do think Dallas is more important. And don't know much about Chongqing.

Last edited by SouthmoreAve; 08-18-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM

244 posts, read 567,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The city with the worst roads in the world is #1! Next we will have Tarawa as #1 or what?
You clearly don't get out much.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:

The issue to me is not whether Houston and Atlanta are more globally important than Dallas or Philly. That is a non issue to me.

+1

On any global list, where an American city falls shouldn't be any concern we should be voicing. I mean seriously, by this study America has 9 global power house cities. More than any other country on the planet by a very wide margin. Not to mention we have, which seems to be general consensus, 2 other cities that fit the bill. Think about that, we've got so many important cities on a global scale in this county we have two spares (a possibly more). We should just sit back and be proud of that

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree that Dallas and Philly should have been included, but doesn't it stand to reason that the more likely answer is that they just barely missed the cut. I mean, what point would there be in just totally ignoring them in favor of 3 cities in the same country using the same methodology.

Nope - read the study - pre selected 65 and only those were ranked. The criteria for those studied was subjective and also was argued as to which were in and out - final answer is no way to tell where Dallas or Philly would have ranked - kind of like the list from an earlier thread (All ranking combined think Montclair was the OP), it showed Philly 18 points behind Atlanta when Philly was excluded from 3 studies and Atlanta from 1, and as the example Philly was ahead of Atlanta in 3 of the 5 they were both ranked in, why these lists can be confusing.

I agree on DC and SF as rated - well done!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Ive seen it. Why do you personally want me to see it?
You seem to think Dallas is more known than Houston on a global scale, which its not.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:

Ranked 35th Sao Paulo, enough said.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You seem to think Dallas is more known than Houston on a global scale, which its not.

Did you see Dallas was not included in the analysis, there is zero way to tell where it would have ranked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City