Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Read the above or better yet read the notes in full report, the link in the thread is the truncated version

Tossed a TX city overboard, decided only one

tossed a NE city overboard

Didnt want to stack the deck and provide more int'l cities, others in the globe were left off too

it is just that simple, for those they scored was objective criteria but their inclusion was not

Even said some cities left out would have likely scored higher even among those included, so in US added regional cities to spread the coverage

The study was scientific with the caveat cities that are influential and likely high scoring were excluded to ensure global and regional coverage to account for regions of the world, which could include regions within countries

I already have provided an argument for Philly,

But again worldwide in the Pharma Industry Philly is considered the most important city, though really the broader region from NY Metro CT to Philly metro Wilmington DE with Philly being the center. But again Pharma is never really discussed on this site.

And to Awesome Danny - I think Education for Boston, well yes, Bio reserach ok (by the way Boston only exceeds philly in NIH finding which without a diatribe doesnt tell the whole story, the private spends in jersey and Philly on research are larger (by a large amount, just not all bio, not to mention most of the Bio research even done in Boston is run out of the Pharm belt here anyway and we get the dollars, market it, sell it, manage it etc.), but on size that is pitance in international dollars and significance. Healthcare is the number one industry in the civilized world in dollars, the epi-center is Philadelphia, so yes it qualifies as a world leader and in the the largest industry, larger than IT larger than oil, employs more, generates more dollars, also the largest industry in the world on R&D spend)

to me there is only one industry of greater import and that is finance, rules all others, why NYC and London are 1 and 2...

Oil is important but is a commodity, as becomes most technologies, Riddle me this, as smart as Google is and they amaze me, at their current rate when will they even be in a p&L discussion with big pharma, their margins suck and struggle to find new revenue streams, infomation management is cheap, the largest and most profitable computer/it co is in Seattle last I saw - because they monopolize a commodity, more good business than pioneering stuff. I am not diminishing anything but business is business. Microsoft is the most influential IT/Computer company in the world, why because they do good business, even if they are not the best. IBM was but failed to see the commodity of the box, Gates was smart, Jobs maybe smarter, and is a good businessman, probably a better marketer than innovator though these days - so Philly has no prominent industry, ehh no, cache' in the NE, well that is maybe more true

and too all these # of billionares, well irrational exuberance sure did help the bay area, how many billionares are there from IPOs for cos that are penny stocks today, anyway this is not to bash any place or industry but take a step back, and also, to those who post that number, question, are you one? are you getting a dollar, then why should I or any of the 300+ million folks who are not a billionare myself included care? but hey we have 18 more here, wow, that represents .00000000000 whatever % of your metro, kudos

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-19-2010 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I'm sure there's a more logical reason to the exclusion of Philly and Dallas. City population did not exclude Dallas, it has well over a million people. In SSP's forum discussion, I read that GDP figures were from 2006, so that explains Houston's lower GDP ranking, so I would assume that they were using metro populations form 2006 as well, which would explain Atlanta holding higher rankings than Houston on both metrics.

There's the criteria, instead of making excuses for Philly and Dallas, figure out why it didn't make this list based on FP's criteria. And I've been thinking this whole time that they picked 65 cities who they thought were global cities, so either Philly and Dallas aren't global cities or those other cities were better BASED on this criteria.

If you think Philly and Dallas deserve to be on this list, than provide an argument that follows this criteria, not by making statements like " ____ is more important than _____, ______, and _____ on a global scale economically, etc". Those don't help at all.
aw so ATL had a higher gdp than Houston in 2006

Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Having the world largest telecommunication company AT&T I think that holds ton of weight. Also worth noting Dallas is the future hub for Wind Energy.
Oh really? A little late on that one. Houston has the world's first tall building (that I know of) powered partially by wind energy. Houston's energy sector is transforming into renewable energy instead of burning fossil fuels which pollute the atmosphere. Just another prime example of how Houston's economy is diversifying. "The sole reason for Houston's existence as a city is because of oil" myth was debunct a long time ago...

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh really? A little late on that one. Houston has the world's first tall building (that I know of) powered partially by wind energy. Houston's energy sector is transforming into renewable energy instead of burning fossil fuels which pollute the atmosphere. Just another prime example of how Houston's economy is diversifying. "The sole reason for Houston's existence as a city is because of oil" myth was debunct a long time ago...
They are putting together a plethora of wind farms on Pelican Island (the island right next to Galveston) to capture wind powered energy. Thats Metro Houston area and that project will add so much more to this sector.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 PM

The largest Green building in the world is in what city? LED green certified

Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Only 23.

Fortune 500

New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA 78
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA 31
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA 28
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA 25
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA 24
Los Angeles-Long-Beach-Riverside, CA CSA 23
Some major corporate departures that have hurt are Northrop Grumman leaving Los Angeles for Washington DC to be close to their main customer (the government) and Hilton Worldwide leaving Beverly Hills for Tyson's Corner near Washington DC. Hilton left to be closer to the majority of their hotels, talent in the hotel industry (VA-MD is home to many hotel company headquarters), etc... Both cases were L.A. being a victim of its geography. Increasingly L.A.'s ties are with the Pacific rim. Companies that don't have ties to the Pacific Rim have less motive to stay. In Northrop's case, they are selling to the Federal Government and not other countries so they decided to leave to be close to their main customer (although we still have the most Northrop employees and factories).

Many of the companies in Los Angeles are foreign operations as well. There are a large amount of "USA Headquarters" from companies across the Pacific, but they won't count as Forbes 500 companies because the final headquarters is in another nation. Toyota North America, Honda North America, Hyundai North America, Toshiba North America, Panasonic North America, Nestle USA, Korean Airlines USA, Nikken USA, etc....

Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And to Awesome Danny - I think Education for Boston, well yes, Bio reserach ok (by the way Boston only exceeds philly in NIH finding which without a diatribe doesnt tell the whole story, the private spends in jersey and Philly on research are larger (by a large amount, just not all bio, not to mention most of the Bio research even done in Boston is run out of the Pharm belt here anyway and we get the dollars, market it, sell it, manage it etc.), but on size that is pitance in international dollars and significance. Healthcare is the number one industry in the civilized world in dollars, the epi-center is Philadelphia, so yes it qualifies as a world leader and in the the largest industry, larger than IT larger than oil, employs more, generates more dollars, also the largest industry in the world on R&D spend)

to me there is only one industry of greater import and that is finance, rules all others, why NYC and London are 1 and 2...

Oil is important but is a commodity, as becomes most technologies, Riddle me this, as smart as Google is and they amaze me, at their current rate when will they even be in a p&L discussion with big pharma, their margins suck and struggle to find new revenue streams, infomation management is cheap, the largest and most profitable computer/it co is in Seattle last I saw - because they monopolize a commodity, more good business than pioneering stuff. I am not diminishing anything but business is business. Microsoft is the most influential IT/Computer company in the world, why because they do good business, even if they are not the best. IBM was but failed to see the commodity of the box, Gates was smart, Jobs maybe smarter, and is a good businessman, probably a better marketer than innovator though these days - so Philly has no prominent industry, ehh no, cache' in the NE, well that is maybe more true

and too all these # of billionares, well irrational exuberance sure did help the bay area, how many billionares are there from IPOs for cos that are penny stocks today, anyway this is not to bash any place or industry but take a step back, and also, to those who post that number, question, are you one? are you getting a dollar, then why should I or any of the 300+ million folks who are not a billionare myself included care? but hey we have 18 more here, wow, that represents .00000000000 whatever % of your metro, kudos
I was indeed well aware of the Pharmaceutical advancements in Philadelphia, but I was plainly not skilled enough to respond as I still don't know whether it is the only location in the country for that industry or if the umbrella for its sub-companies call HQ home in Philadelphia. I had avoided talking about it as I didn't know much of the detail, and while searching online to find out more only confused me even more so.

Would you say that the Bay Area is though inheriting a lot of responsibility from Los Angeles in terms of entertainment, through modern means and modern revolutionized medians for entertainment such as the internet and software integrated within technological equipment over the old fashion lights, camera, action routine that Los Angeles is known for?
Even in that much of the graphic designs for those frames and props in Los Angeles was supported via Bay Area designers for graphics, as well as designers from other innovative technological hub.
I view it as the modern method of media circulation that is a renaissance moving from Los Angeles and shifting to the Bay Area.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 AM

^^^ Well the epi center is the swath of land between Jersey and Philly - the real center oddly enough would likely triangulate to Mercer County NJ. To Say not to include Jersy would be wrong and some of that is NY Metro. But it is true globally it runs from the US to everywhere else and here is the center, I live it everyday, but is a more fragmented indusry no Exxon, no GM, no Walmart in terms of market share

And there are other areas as every other industry, but the think tank is here and decsicions are here

There is Amgen in Thousand Oaks CA
Genentech (Really Roche (Nutley NJ and Basal Switz) in South San Fran - though every key player there is from NJ and Philly)
Or Chicago with Abbott (<TAP the marketing entity next to the Bears training facility>) Takeda, Baxter
Lilly in Indianapolis

Some small mids in Atlanta
RDU - GSK/Split between the triangle and CC Philly
Or even Dallas with Alcon or Orange county with Allergan (Botox somewhat fitting, or Jazz in NOLA again fitting but niche players)

but where is the mass and vast vast majority of mass, probably better said look at Jersey, focus on Philly or 1 or 202 or 287 in Jersey (oh also 202 in DE/PA, cant drive 2 miles without another)

oh there is the biggest Pfizer, NYC and Collegeville PA (Though the old vacant Pharmacia in NJ, site will be a new HQ in a few years, leases are done on the Ave of the Americas) Dont say I didnt tell you in 2014

But yes it is here

Or Cos like Teva #1 producer of pharmaceuticals in the World HQ in Isreal - Operations and decisions in North Wales PA

not to mention 70-80% of the key support industries, now manufacturing is worldwide but the decisions, money flow, marketing, yep here

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-20-2010 at 01:07 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I'm sure there's a more logical reason to the exclusion of Philly and Dallas. City population did not exclude Dallas, it has well over a million people.

I was not saying that city population excluded Dallas. I was saying that if these were done by city instead of Metro then Dallas is obviously out. meaning it is not the population that kicked it out but the city limits.

Look at the number of F500 in the DFW area and then look at the number for Dallas. Dallas as a city is pretty whimpy compared to the metro

Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ Well the epi center is the swath of land between Jersey and Philly - the real center oddly enough would likely triangulate to Mercer County NJ. To Say not to include Jersy would be wrong and some of that is NY Metro. But it is true globally it runs from the US to everywhere else and here is the center, I live it everyday, but is a more fragmented indusry no Exxon, no GM, no Walmart in terms of market share

And there are other areas as every other industry, but the think tank is here and decsicions are here

There is Amgen in Thousand Oaks CA
Genentech (Really Roche (Nutley NJ and Basal Switz) in South San Fran - though every key player there is from NJ and Philly)
Or Chicago with Abbott (<TAP the marketing entity next to the Bears training facility>) Takeda, Baxter
Lilly in Indianapolis

Some small mids in Atlanta
RDU - GSK/Split between the triangle and CC Philly
Or even Dallas with Alcon or Orange county with Allergan (Botox somewhat fitting, or Jazz in NOLA again fitting but niche players)

but where is the mass and vast vast majority of mass, probably better said look at Jersey, focus on Philly or 1 or 202 or 287 in Jersey (oh also 202 in DE/PA, cant drive 2 miles without another)

oh there is the biggest Pfizer, NYC and Collegeville PA (Though the old vacant Pharmacia in NJ, site will be a new HQ in a few years, leases are done on the Ave of the Americas) Dont say I didnt tell you in 2014

But yes it is here

Or Cos like Teva #1 producer of pharmaceuticals in the World HQ in Isreal - Operations and decisions in North Wales PA

not to mention 70-80% of the key support industries, now manufacturing is worldwide but the decisions, money flow, marketing, yep here
Yes, surprisingly, Philadelphia-NJ (roughly to Princeton)-DE (Wilmington) is an epicenter of the pharm/chem industry in the US. As you state, most of the biggies have a presence there.

Last edited by BigLake; 08-20-2010 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City