U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM

18,509 posts, read 30,386,323 times

Advertisements

Sin City will recover. There has always been a big market for sin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,353,005 times
I can see why Tampa is so high on the list. Hopefully things will get better soon, but things don't seem to be changing as fast as I would have thought. That goes for the entire country.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,954 times
I find this ironic. I'm part of a small inter-office group which helps transplants familiarize themselves w/ the city and network (essentially, we just take them out on the town from time to time) and they've come from a lot of different places including LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, SF, San Diego, etc. Most all of them agree the one thing they LOVE about Houston is that it's "more laid back" than where they came from....probably b/c they came here b/c they'd gotten hired :-P

Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 PM

22,402 posts, read 35,160,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I find this ironic. I'm part of a small inter-office group which helps transplants familiarize themselves w/ the city and network (essentially, we just take them out on the town from time to time) and they've come from a lot of different places including LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, SF, San Diego, etc. Most all of them agree the one thing they LOVE about Houston is that it's "more laid back" than where they came from....probably b/c they came here b/c they'd gotten hired :-P

I often wonder if a place like Houston (or Dallas or Atlanta for that matter) are the new melting pot - there are similarities in the migration pattern even if mostly from within the US as opposed to from Europe etc. but really it is like that new expanse of transplants seeking the new American dream. I need to get my thoughts better in order but there are many parallels, even with those moving, not the wealthiest maybe the unemployed but those leaving other areas and maybe the cavalier and those seeking the new dream, maybe also driving the prosperity and growth and ecomonic boom, dunno

Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 PM

10,171 posts, read 14,255,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I often wonder if a place like Houston (or Dallas or Atlanta for that matter) are the new melting pot - there are similarities in the migration pattern even if mostly from within the US as opposed to from Europe etc. but really it is like that new expanse of transplants seeking the new American dream. I need to get my thoughts better in order but there are many parallels, even with those moving, not the wealthiest maybe the unemployed but those leaving other areas and maybe the cavalier and those seeking the new dream, maybe also driving the prosperity and growth and ecomonic boom, dunno
I think its a cycle actually. It has happened to all the great American cities. What started in your region became a sign of prosperity for the Midwest, and then became a sign of prosperity for the west, and now for Texas.

I think its a cycle in general. And true they do not get European immigration, but Latin American immigration and Asian Immigration in Texas is growing. I suppose it is a new concept. Each time it has happened in American history it has added its own twist.

Makes you wonder who is next after these areas and who will get the baton of prosperity next for our great nation.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I think its a cycle actually. It has happened to all the great American cities. What started in your region became a sign of prosperity for the Midwest, and then became a sign of prosperity for the west, and now for Texas.

I think its a cycle in general. And true they do not get European immigration, but Latin American immigration and Asian Immigration in Texas is growing. I suppose it is a new concept. Each time it has happened in American history it has added its own twist.

Makes you wonder who is next after these areas and who will get the baton of prosperity next for our great nation.

Yes I agree, fun to watch, even for me believe it or not, maybe TX is more the Midwest of old in the modern day, similarities on the asian and Latin American influence from the CA

Dunno could also be completing (Meaning that region is last if the Moutain West or Montana/Idaho etc never do) and we could see more maturity like Europe, the Far East may become the new America, though we still have the greatest country - dunno

Also is the Piedmont done, or will it reinvent itself, it seems to have stumbled ever so slightly but all take time

VA and NC seem like they could explode even more but just seem to miss somehow relative to TX - is OKC also a new mecca of sorts

But TX reminds of the Midwest from the north east, just more South Central from the west - gross over simplification though

the NE and CA are mature and not going anywhere quick, but they already arrived, the MW is getting better, South Central is exploding

Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree, fun to watch, even for me believe it or not, maybe TX is more the Midwest of old in the modern day, similarities on the asian and Latin American influence from the CA

Dunno could also be completing (Meaning that region is last if the Moutain West or Montana/Idaho etc never do) and we could see more maturity like Europe, the Far East may become the new America, though we still have the greatest country - dunno

Also is the Piedmont done, or will it reinvent itself, it seems to have stumbled ever so slightly but all take time

VA and NC seem like they could explode even more but just seem to miss somehow relative to TX - is OKC also a new mecca of sorts

But TX reminds of the Midwest from the north east, just more South Central from the west - gross over simplification though
I see Nebraska as the next big for some reason. I see the city of Omaha, which continuously has been rated as one of the next hottest relocation areas for businesses and employment and I see a city that will be booming like the way Austin was 25 years ago.

Nebraska also wields 3rd lowest unemployment rate, the real states that deserve the pat on the back for economy are the two Dakotas and Nebraska. They have shined in these times and have started to build themselves.
Raleigh is a bit of a difference in North Carolina compared to Charlotte, Raleigh in my opinion will be one to watch for sure, its been one I have been reading up on nearly every night. Impressive little city.

Maturity, you're right. The beauty of Europe that we see today are the fully developed and beautiful cities that stood as prominent cities in their heyday and never lost that shine. I love a city that can keep itself afloat even after its prime, Boston, Philadelphia, & Chicago are great examples of that. They are regarded as some of the best in this nation and are examples for many things simply due to their maturity.

Los Angeles in my opinion still has a ways to go to get there, the city has had to work a lot harder given its layout to reach it. In my opinion when it became the 2nd largest city in the country, it still did not inherit all the merits to claim it was 2nd in everything. Chicago still had it beat in everything it lacked as it did for Chicago. I would say both of them (aside from population) were both 2nd and 3rd. They changed per criteria one would be 2nd for one thing and the other for another.

Los Angeles once it finishes its infrastructure and reaches modest and stagnated growth and sustainability will finally be there with those before it.

Atlanta & Miami might want to start looking more sharp otherwise their Texas counterparts may get ahead of them. I know Miami is working on infrastructure and its also working on diversifying its economy.
I don't know much about what Atlanta is up too as I am unfamiliar with it, but I can bet they will have something set forward to bring them back.

The Texas cities are working on their infrastructure, and despite what it may merit, I know they are decades and far away from it. No city just got there in one piece, not London, Boston, New York City, Chicago, or Paris but they got there in time and modified throughout their history to keep up. Which is what made them great. Makes* Then great still.

Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, & Miami are maturing up. Los Angeles is a few decades ahead of the other four but is the example.

Austin, San Antonio, Hartford, Seattle, Omaha, Portland, Sacramento, Oklahoma City (which is going through a renaissance), Fort Worth, Tucson, Charlotte, Columbus, Indianapolis, & Raleigh are the next generation to watch for.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 PM

Dont see Nebraska or Omaha getting there, not at the level, there is in all of history something to proximity of the coast - they miss maybe it will change but history and the full history says otherwise

But where is the non-coastal city of huge prominence not forced by communist regime, only one and was developed through other means - maning nothing more than 100 or 200 miles - may sound silly but where is it, Moscow is the closest and even Moscow is closer to a coast than is Omaha or Nebraska

Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Dont see Nebraska or Omaha getting there, not at the level, there is in all of history something to proximity of the coast - they miss maybe it will change but history and the full history says otherwise

But where is the non-coastal city of huge prominence not forced by communist regime, only one and was developed through other means - maning nothing more than 100 or 200 miles - may sound silly but where is it, Moscow is the closest and even Moscow is closer to a coast than is Omaha or Nebraska
Thats true that sustainable water source is needed, in which Nebraska lacks a coastal setting for port activity and international notoriety. Is still very rich with the worlds 2nd largest underground aquifer as far as sustaining a population goes for a good period of time.

DFW itself is the largest metropolitan area I believe that is land trapped in our country. I suppose Omaha cant match that size, which maybe it shouldn't have to though. Prosperity can come in other variations as well.

I was hoping to see a growth in the essence if Phoenix were to reach 4 million with a limited water source, then Omaha within maybe 60 years or so can replicate that with more water source than Phoenix had in general.
Omaha can easily get half of Phoenix's population and sustain is rather comfortably.
Much like the way Saint Louis navigated port activity down through Mississippi to the Gulf, Omaha can possibly utilize a nearby river which is a tributary of the Mississippi to channel the same way, but that can get quite costly to build such a facility and to accommodate it and maintain its usage, maybe something they might not do after all, but option is always there.

I might be off though, I have had long day with lots of driving so my conspiracies within the realm of my mind have just been building up with curiosity.

However, it is only fair to watch the progression for Omaha for a while longer, as it is way to early for this one. The city just jumped into boomer age right now.

Ogallala Aquifer:

Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 AM

966 posts, read 1,895,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Well another thread to celebrate yet another Forbes list!

01. Las Vegas
02. Los Angeles
03. Houston
04. Tampa
05. Riverside
06. Miami
07. Dallas
08. New York City
09. Chicago
10. Detroit

Source: In Pictures: America's Most Stressful Cities - 10. Detroit, Mich. - Forbes.com
Here is my observation:

1. Stressed because you've blown your $ on gambling and hookers. The wife is not gonna like that.
2. Stressed because of freeway traffic
3. I don't know
4. Stressed because of too many thunderstorms/scared of lightning.
5. Stressed because you wished you lived in Los Angeles. No one pays attention to Riverside
6. Stressed because you partyied too much, can't get any work done. You got fired the next day.
7. Stressed because the Dallas Mavs, Cowboys can't get over the hump and choke in the playoffs. The Rangers most likely will do the same. haha.
8. Stressed because bad things tend to happen in NY. (9/11, security threats, Wall Street, plus you wish a mosque doesn't get built near Ground Zero.
9. Stressed because you live in one of the poorest neighborhoods of Chicago.... And the Cubs suck, haven't won sh*t in 100 years.
10. Stressed because you live in DETROIT of all places. Your life is always in danger. That's why you wear a bulletproof vest. And, you can't find a job, and the prospects of landing one is slim. ..and you don't know how to get the f-out of Detroit. Finally, the mother of all stresses.... your football team is the ... DETROIT LIONS!?!?!? for christ sake.

Last edited by pistola916; 08-20-2010 at 01:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City