Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,173,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And when it finally does make sense to other people out there it will cost double to triple maybe even more to build.
It was shortsighted of the HSR in the first place to plan this thing the way they did, lying to us about cost, lying to us about what the fares would be, lying to us about the process being transparent, lying to us about working together with localities, lying to us about their timetable.

Even before one shovel has been turned, the cost of the CA High Speed Rail is already over wayyyy budget.

From the CA Legislative Analysts Office:
Based on our analysis, the high–speed rail project is likely to cost much more than the $43 billion originally estimated by HSRA for the first phase from San Francisco to Anaheim. That estimate was prepared in 2009 based on very preliminary information concerning which alignments would be selected for the track and what the design of the system would look like.

For example, based on the state’s agreement with FRA, the cost of the initial construction segment between Fresno and Bakersfield alone is now estimated to be $4.5 billion, which is 57 percent greater than was assumed in the original plan.

If the cost of building the entire Phase 1 system were to grow as much as the revised HSRA estimate for the 100–mile segment discussed above, construction would cost about $67 billion.

So we're talking 67 Billion Dollars.

And people think there is no better way to spend money on transportation in the State of California??? HA!

It would be more fruitful to take that money and divide it up regionally and spend money on region specific transportation projects that have the affect of creating just as many jobs and actually doing a lot more at fixing our local congestion issues.

Quote:
I think a LA-SD should be first though.
I totally agree. If it does get built, do it in SoCal first where there are 20+ Million people in a 150-mile radius around Los Angeles. Toss in a Vegas line and that would be PERFECT.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It was shortsighted of the HSR in the first place to plan this thing the way they did, lying to us about cost, lying to us about what the fares would be, lying to us about the process being transparent, lying to us about working together with localities, lying to us about their timetable.

Even before one shovel has been turned, the cost of the CA High Speed Rail is already over wayyyy budget.
I understand the gripes the the HSR Authority and I am not trying to defend their incompetence but am mainly arguing for the idea itself. If done right it could work.

Quote:
If the cost of building the entire Phase 1 system were to grow as much as the revised HSRA estimate for the 100–mile segment discussed above, construction would cost about $67 billion.

So we're talking 67 Billion Dollars.
And what do you think it will cost 20 years down the road? Less?

I understand the frustration with cost estimates being more than originally thought but I don't see you arguing against the Oakland Airport connector despite it costing QUADRUPLE what was originally estimated. So do you think the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge should have never been built considering that it's going to cost well over DOUBLE the original estimates? So lets not pretend that cost overruns with this project is some concept that we aren't used to already.

Quote:
And people think there is no better way to spend money on transportation in the State of California??? HA!

It would be more fruitful to take that money and divide it up regionally and spend money on region specific transportation projects that have the affect of creating just as many jobs and actually doing a lot more at fixing our local congestion issues.
No, they just believe HSR would be beneficial to CA in the long run.

What's ironic is your complaining about cost overruns of around 50% for HSR but want money spent on local projects where cost overruns have gone over 200% to 400% of original estimates for certain local projects that aren't even finished yet. I'm must waiting for the next $1 toll increase to cover more Bay Bridge cost overruns.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,491,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
[/color]
Actually Howest2008, the Fresno to Hanford section is slated for construction first.

They should start the LA to San Diego leg first, but they are stupid so Im not surprised.

[color=navy][color=black]

We could also build a floating bridge to Hawaii but that doesnt mean we should does it??
I have been doing a lot of reading on the Cali Bullet Train , and the supporter are shaking in their's boots about having enough money to do the whole project , and are doing everything possible to start the "project in Los Angeles" because everybody "Knows That The Money Going To RUN OUT" that's a given.....We out here on the Right Coast.."oh my Bad" west Coast should get this thing moving on September 2012 like we are suppose to do and beat out the NYC east coast project any body with me....????

Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,670,479 times
Source: BeyondDC

All though this is what someone would like to see, I don't see the harm in submitting this idea.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Source: Hampton Roads transit plan envisions ferries, rail, buses | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

*Note - this is legit*

Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,491,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post

Is there a stop in Yorktown..?????

Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM

801 posts, read 1,505,144 times
I didn't look throught the whole thread but considering what Jacksonville has now, this will definetely will be an improvment from what we currently have. This plan includes BRT, Light Rail, Commuter Rail, Streetcars, and an expansion of our people mover.
Green- higher frequency busses
Blue- BRT or Light Rail
Red- Commuter Rail
Pink- Streetcar
Beige- Skyway

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM

And there is a PDF file explaining the Hampton Roads Regional Transit Vision Plan:

http://www.gohrt.com/publications/re...lan-report.pdf

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM

801 posts, read 1,505,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I didn't look throught the whole thread but considering what Jacksonville has now, this will definetely will be an improvment from what we currently have. This plan includes BRT, Light Rail, Commuter Rail, Streetcars, and an expansion of our people mover.
Green- higher frequency busses
Blue- BRT or Light Rail
Red- Commuter Rail
Pink- Streetcar
Beige- Skyway

Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Even though this map is 3 years old, it can give you an idea on what South Carolina is thinking about concerning commuter rail (shown in red):

Source: Rail line wouldn't be cheap | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City