Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus vs San Jose
Columbus 21 42.86%
San Jose 28 57.14%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
So you start this thread by NOT extolling the virtues of Columbus, but rather bash California (you don't even really directly say anything about San Jose, really)

You'd be a great fit in the California forum!

What does your rant about California anyways have to do with San Jose itself? When was the last time San Jose had an earthquake that killed a person in San Jose? When was the last time San Jose had a wildfire that damaged property in San Jose? (note: the west side of San Jose is the Santa Cruz mountains that have Redwood Forest all over them, not exactly prime brush fire territory....) When was the last time San Jose had a mudslide that damaged homes in San Jose?

Looks like YOU are having a hard time staying on topic here. Good job. Here's a cookie
Nice, thanks for the chocolate chip cookie ... but I don't like 'em ... I only enjoy oatmeal raisin cookies, but thanks anyways ...

First off, I am discussing San Jose and since SJ is a city in California, it is adversely affected by the crippling demise of the states financial woes ... just as much as San Diego, Fullerton or Sacramento ... simply because "they're all cities in California" and as such, they are governed by the state of California.

You might be surprised to know that I actually like the state of California, including San Jose ... where I have spent alot of time over the years, so I'm speaking from those experiences ... plus I am a former resident of California.
I'm NOT sharing misinformation, nor am I a troll ... I'm sharing some basic, well documented facts about San Jose ... and California in general, since many of the problems that befall the state are common place throughout California.

This happens everytime somebody actually lists "FACTUAL INFORMATION" about a city ... then all of these posters come out crying foul ....???
For heavens sake, San Jose is a pleasant city to be sure ... but, it does suffer from natural disasters, an exhorbitant ( OUTRAGEOUS! ) cost of living and ... it's location is within a state that is operational under a "fiscal emergency".

Those are the facts, so don't shoot the messenger! Next time, PLEASE remember ... only "oatmeal raisin cookies for moi"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
You were like 1 or 2, huh?

I "lived" through a major earthquake as well (Northridge in 1994) and lived only 10 miles from the epicenter. Somehow, I told my sister to stop shaking the bed and fell right back asleep. It's only when the LAFD was evacuating unsafe apartment buildings on TV and my parents acting strangely (not panicking, but were just acting weirdly) that I realized an earthquake just happened.

There are worse things in life that can happen to you. The thing about natural disasters is that you have absolutely NO CONTROL over how powerful they are or when they can strike. So its pointless to worry about it. I mean, I come from an area of the world where there are active volcanoes, typhoons, earthquakes, and catacyclsms happen on a yearly basis, yet somehow less and less people seem to die from them. If they can do it, why can't a 1st world country like America can't?
I was 5 actually haha. Seriously though I remember that earthquake like it was yesterday, no matter how young you are I think you remember a 7.0 earthquake. I was upstairs and the whole house started shaking and ran outside and saw our house sway back and forth....scary stuff for 5 year old lol.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Now you're on about Napa? Wine is produced all over the state. Neither Napa nor most of the Bay are all that close to SJ.
The person is stating that San Jose is in proximity to some great locations such as Napa, nothing wrong with that. Yes wine is made everywhere in the state but no other region in the nation is known for their wine as much as Napa. Also tons of Bay Area cities are close to San Jose, for instance a large majority of the East Bay and the Pennisula.

Last edited by kcee510; 08-26-2010 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mea-oh View Post
"Now you're on about Napa?"

What is that supposed to mean? I was just giving my opinion.

I remember taking a train (BART) from SJ to downtown SF when I visited the area. To me, that's "close" to the rest of the Bay Area.
It must of been a different train service because BART doesn't run in San Jose. BART's last stop is in Fremont and it starts up again in Millbrae.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Nice, thanks for the chocolate chip cookie ... but I don't like 'em ... I only enjoy oatmeal raisin cookies, but thanks anyways ...

First off, I am discussing San Jose and since SJ is a city in California, it is adversely affected by the crippling demise of the states financial woes ... just as much as San Diego, Fullerton or Sacramento ... simply because "they're all cities in California" and as such, they are governed by the state of California.

You might be surprised to know that I actually like the state of California, including San Jose ... where I have spent alot of time over the years, so I'm speaking from those experiences ... plus I am a former resident of California.
I'm NOT sharing misinformation, nor am I a troll ... I'm sharing some basic, well documented facts about San Jose ... and California in general, since many of the problems that befall the state are common place throughout California.

This happens everytime somebody actually lists "FACTUAL INFORMATION" about a city ... then all of these posters come out crying foul ....???
For heavens sake, San Jose is a pleasant city to be sure ... but, it does suffer from natural disasters, an exhorbitant ( OUTRAGEOUS! ) cost of living and ... it's location is within a state that is operational under a "fiscal emergency".

Those are the facts, so don't shoot the messenger! Next time, PLEASE remember ... only "oatmeal raisin cookies for moi"
I'm not exactly the typical California homer. I AM a taxpayer in California (and no, this isn't just sales tax), and I KNOW how crappy state services are. You think I close my eyes whenever I drive around on the crappy roads, or have to help people out with MediCal paperwork, or helping people stay in their homes? I know what California's faults are, and no where in my posts did I deny that California had any of those problems.

However, you really didn't POST any information (statistical or otherwise), or any comparative information between California and Ohio. That doesn't make it a comparison. That just makes it a diatribe. Where EXACTLY were you comparing Columbus and San Jose (When did you specifically say ANYTHING about San Jose?) Or even, when were you comparing OHIO and California? No, most of your posts talk about California itself, without talking about Ohio.

The Bay Area homers (and Krudmonk ) were talking specifically about San Jose's positives and negatives, and others have been talking about Columbus itself. You, on the other hand, haven't said a word about Columbus (which is, I'm sure, a fine fine city in its own right) or San Jose, but rather extended your focus to the larger issues California is facing. Give CD posters more credit! If every single CD thread devolved to "what state the city is in", then the City vs City forum would be pointless.

And again, you posted a list of natural disasters that weren't exactly relevant to San Jose (brush fires and mudslides?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I was 5 actually haha. Seriously though I remember that earthquake like it was yesterday, no matter how young you are I think you remember a 7.0 earthquake. I was upstairs and the whole house started shaking and ran outside and saw our house sway back and forth....scary stuff for 5 year old lol.
LOL! Ironically, I was 5 too (well, 4 and a half since it was early 1994) when Northridge struck. Shouldn't have you been watching the A's-Giants game? That, ironically helped save a lot of lives since a lot of people were home watching the "Battle of the Bay" instead of being out on the roads. I dunno though, I wasn't there. I was a wee little baby when THAT happened

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 08-26-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly the typical California homers. I AM a taxpayer in California (and no, this isn't just sales tax), and I KNOW how crappy state services are. You think I close my eyes whenever I drive around on the crappy roads, or have to help people out with MediCal paperwork, or helping people stay in their homes? I know what California's faults are, and no where in my posts did I deny that California had any of those problems.

However, you really didn't POST any information (statistical or otherwise), or any comparative information between California and Ohio. That doesn't make it a comparison. That just makes it a diatribe. Where EXACTLY were you comparing Columbus and San Jose (When did you specifically say ANYTHING about San Jose?) Or even, when were you comparing OHIO and California? No, most of your posts talk about California itself, without talking about Ohio.

The Bay Area homers (and Krudmonk ) were talking specifically about San Jose's positives and negatives, and others have been talking about Columbus itself. You, on the other hand, haven't said a word about Columbus (which is, I'm sure, a fine fine city in its own right) or San Jose, but rather extended your focus to the larger issues California is facing. Give CD posters more credit! If every single CD thread devolved to "what state the city is in", then the City vs City forum would be pointless.

And again, you posted a list of natural disasters that weren't exactly relevant to San Jose (brush fires and mudslides?)

LOL! Ironically, I was 5 too (well, 4 and a half since it was early 1994) when Northridge struck. Shouldn't have you been watching the A's-Giants game? That, ironically helped save a lot of lives since a lot of people were home watching the "Battle of the Bay" instead of being out on the roads. I dunno though, I wasn't there. I was a wee little baby when THAT happened
Yea my dad had the game on the downstairs t.v, he was making dinner lol.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Yea my dad had the game on the downstairs t.v, he was making dinner lol.
God probably didn't want the Giants to win

WHOOO!

Relevant to this thread; why does it feel like San Jose have more Giants/49ers fans than San Francisco itself? If anything, if I lived in the South Bay, I'd root for East Bay teams. They'd be in better company

Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
My first reaction is:

They are both incrediably boring!

Having said that, I love San Jose because it is quintessentially California, in look and feel. It has perfect weather. It's very nice all over the Silicon Valley. It has very few places that are run down especially compared to most other cities. It has good restaurants and an Asian population like no other American city. It has beautiful coastal mts surrounding it, and easy access to the coast and lots of cultural attractions. It is very low key because all those genius techies are too busy inventing the next big thing in the High-Tech world.

San Jose: Average white guy is a total nerd and goofy looking. Every smart nerd of any race and country, from every part of the world , lives there for a least a year or two. There are tons of "quiet, on-line game playing Asians. San Jose has the most low key Latino population anywhere in California despite being the birth place of one of the largest Northern Cal Mexican gangs. There are very few blacks and those that are there are low-key, laptop carrying, cerebral nerds. There is a Huge highly educated East Indian population. The women are nerds too.

Columbus? Where is that, Ohio? Where is that? Oh, that is where Cleveland is...and where the Cincinati Reds play. I've heard only good things about Columbus. I know it is fairly large. Its in the MidEAST. I have no idea what the nightlife is like. For some reason, it gets no attention at all. Seriously, I have never been there, except I think I had a layover there once.

My post is not a slam on either city, this is just a gut reaction from an outsider. I know San Jose well and I always enjoy going there, my best friend lives there, and I have relatives who have lived there since the early 80's.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-26-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
San Jose, because its in California. Like the saying goes: I'm not a citizen of the United States, I'm from CALIFORNIA. Yes, I'm a homer. So what?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Columbus gets my vote....a very progressive city and the state capitol; also containing a major university.
Stanford University is in the San Jose MSA... fun fact is also that San Jose used to be the state capital for California. And the Bay Area as a whole is quite progressive, in my opinion when it comes to social issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City