Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you visit?
Oakland 11 12.09%
Baltimore 26 28.57%
San Jose 22 24.18%
Fort Worth 17 18.68%
All of the above/ Other Option 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
DMV = DC-Maryland-Virginia region.

I'm really sorry if I offended you (I didn't mean too), and no none of the cities listed above are a suburb. But San Jose & Baltimore both do have their own MSA's. Fort Worth & Oakland are in a MSA with their neighboring cities of Dallas & San Francisco.

In reality, Washington DC needs Baltimore's help. Together they recently surpassed Chicagoland by GDP. Washington DC could not have done that without Baltimore's CSA's help.

And both San Jose & Baltimore are standalone cities. Oakland & Fort Worth are the real secondaries for their respective MSA's.
Ur cool, it gets annoying tho that people (especially on this site) keep joining Baltimore and DC. if people spend time here they would realize that DC is never even thought about in Baltimore. IDGAF what the census say, they are the same agency that still labels MD as a southern state, when it never really was to begin with.

DMV = DC-Maryland-Virginia region is the strictly the DC area... thats not us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
San Jose:

Baltimore:

Fort Worth:

Oakland:

Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
IDGAF what the census say, they are the same agency that still labels MD as a southern state, when it never really was to begin with.
I REALLY don't want to go down this road in this thread, but historically Maryland was indeed culturally Southern, but not nearly as much today.

At any rate, Baltimore and DC are definitely distinct cities with their own flavors, but they are definitely constitute one region. It would be extremely "homeristic" of you to say otherwise.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Baltimore would be my first choice as I am from Northern Cal. I've got friends and family in San Jose (best friend lives there), and Oakland (family lives in Alameda, which is a wonderful city 1/2 mile west of Oakland) Alameda is on an island/peninsula off of SF Bay. Oakland is in Alameda County.

I've actually been to BWI airport a few times but we went straight to DC from there, never been to Baltimore.

I have no interest in visiting Texas anytime soon (but I will visit it eventually, we are thinking of flying to Dallas and then doing a road trip which would include Ft. Worth).

I spent one long horrible hot humid summer in Texas visiting family when they were stationed near San Antonio. And my sister lived in Dallas in the 90's; I was unimpressed......they moved back to California. I've been to Houston's and DFW's airports too many times to count for flight connections to other places, which I hate having to do because its a waste of time.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I REALLY don't want to go down this road in this thread, but historically Maryland was indeed culturally Southern, but not nearly as much today.

At any rate, Baltimore and DC are definitely distinct cities with their own flavors, but they are definitely constitute one region. It would be extremely "homeristic" of you to say otherwise.
MD being a southern state (which it is not) was not the topic. The topic was that the census bureau does not know what they are talking about.
What do u mean culturally anyway?? That is a pretty broad term.

You can call it "homeristic" all u want. That fact is that Baltimore and DC are about as tight as the other cities i have mentioned earlier.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Population & Racial Demographics:

Oakland-Fremont-Hayward Metropolitan Division:
Total Population: 2,473,865
White - 42.9%
Hispanic - 21.8%
Asian - 19.8%
Black - 11.1%

Fort Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Division:
Total Population: 2,074,003
White: 58.1%
Hispanic: 24.2%
Black: 11.8%
Asian: 3.6%

Baltimore-Towson Metropolitan Area:
Total Population: 2,690,886
White: 62.4%
Black: 28.4%
Asian: 3.8%
Hispanic: 3.3%

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara Metropolitan Area:
Total Population: 1,839,700
White: 37.7%
Asian: 29.7%
Hispanic: 26.8%
Black: 2.4%

Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
For living, I would go with Fort Worth because of its laid back nature, economy, low cost of living, and vibrant downtown. However, I love visiting all the other cities in question.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,788,402 times
I'd go with Fort Lauderdale personally because it's close to my hometown of Miami

Thunder Fort Lauderdale Florida | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44506849@N08/4831561709/ - broken link)

Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
The topic was that the census bureau does not know what they are talking about.
The Census is using broad geographic boundaries when they label MD "Southern." It's not that serious.

Quote:
What do u mean culturally anyway?? That is a pretty broad term.
For starters, it was a slave state.

Quote:
You can call it "homeristic" all u want. That fact is that Baltimore and DC are about as tight as the other cities i have mentioned earlier.
That's not a "fact," that's an opinion. Those other cities you mentioned don't constitute one CSA (Atlanta and Charlotte SURELY don't); DC and Baltimore do, and there's a reason behind that. The two cities share suburbs, an airport, etc. There is definitely interchange between the two cities, but it's not quite as tight-knit as the cities mentioned originally.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Yeah Danny I will have to disagree with you on here only with Baltimore. Fort Worth and Oakland are at least still in the same MSA as the primary principle cities and do not need to be combined to become one. You can make an argument that San Jose could be the third primary city and needs to be one MSA with San Francisco and Oakland. Baltimore though is completely different. They are not that tied together as you think they are. They have their own media market, their own radio market, their own thing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City