Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
My picks...
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Maybe in terms of culture, as Atlanta is becoming more of an international city. But in terms of economic output, size, importance, there is no way this is happening in my lifetime. Atlanta has a massive lead over any other city in Georgia.

Quote:
My picks...
Tampa - Miami
To be honest, I can see this one happening. Good find. Economic output and economic strength has never been one of Miami's strong points and economically it does not have as massive a lead on its Florida counterparts, which makes it vulnerable to being surpassed one day. By population, I don't think for the next 4 decades Miami has to worry, because its modestly growing now. Jacksonville is becoming a key Florida economic region as well, Orlando is stepping its game up, and so is Tampa. Culturally there are only a few cities in the country that can reach Miami's level. So Miami doesn't have to worry about that.
If Tampa-Orlando somehow become one metropolitan area one day, Miami might want to start showing concerns then.

Quote:
My picks...
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Memphis is stagnating. Nashville is rising, and so is Knoxville. But the lead the main cities in Tennessee have is only growing, Nashville is in its boomtown phase.

Quote:
My picks...
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
This isn't happening. Austin's GDP is 80 Billion, Houston's 403 Billion, DFW 387 Billion. By economic output Houston has one of the fastest growing in the country, and DFW is close behind following. Economically its not happening. Culturally, every city in Texas is different in culture to be honest.
This is what each is known for:
DFW= True Texas: Fort Worth= Cowboy & Western vibe, Dallas= Texan (which is why Dallas is the cultural capital of Texas)
Houston= International
San Antonio= Tejano & Spanish
El Paso= The desert Wild West
Austin= Liberal, Hippie, Yuppified

All of them have a taste of people from around the world, but they all have their own culture. So culturally they are different, and none of them can surpass another in it.

By size, Houston by city has an EXTREME lead over everything else in Texas. By Metro DFW & Houston have an EXTREME lead over the other metros in Texas. So Austin surpassing them in any way, shape, or form is not happening in my lifetime. Fort Worth surpassing Dallas by city population might happen, which is a big "might" as it is growing faster than Dallas and closing the gap more and more. But not for another 25-30 years.

Quote:
My picks...
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Columbus
I don't doubt Columbus surpassing Cleveland, by metro population Columbus is edging Cleveland already. By city its already the largest in Ohio. But economically Columbus has a ways to go to reach the output of Cleveland and especially Cincinnati. I can see it surpassing Cleveland if all goes well for Columbus. However Cincinnati is growing both economically and by size, albeit at a far more modest rate but I don't see Columbus touching Cincinnati in either anytime soon at all. Cincinnati by 2010 census will have edged out in the tie it had with Cleveland metro and become the larger of the two.

Quote:
My picks...
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Absolutely not. Charlotte only has to worry about Raleigh. Raleigh only has to worry about Charlotte. Thats the way its going to be in North Carolina. Raleigh is one hell of a mega boomtown. Its rather impressive especially to an outsider like me. I don't see either Durham or Greensboro surpassing either of those two in anything.

Quote:
My picks...
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Absolutely not. By economic output, Los Angeles holds one of the largest in the world. 800+ Billion. It has nothing to worry about as far as Sacramento & San Diego goes. Bay Area cities of San Jose & Oakland though will be giving Los Angeles some good run though. Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, & Oakland) will be giving Los Angeles a good economic run from now on as Los Angeles is one of the most affected economical cities in the country by the recession. By population, Bay Area won't be touching that anytime soon, if ever in my lifetime.

Sacramento by economic output and by size is too small to give Los Angeles or San Francisco a scare right now. Maybe by population it can surpass San Francisco in 30 years from now, but thats about it.

Quote:
My picks...
Huntsville - Birmingham
I don't know enough about this to be honest.

Quote:
My picks...
Pittsburgh - Philly
LOL, absolutely not. Philadelphia economically & by size has a massive very massive lead over Pittsburgh in almost every way imaginable. I don't even see Pittsburgh's city limits surpassing Philadelphia anytime ever.

Quote:
My picks...
Tucson - Phoenix
This one is possible. But its the hardest one to predict out of all of the ones you have up there. Tucson is 1/4th the size of Phoenix by metro. And 1/3 the size of Phoenix by city population. For it to surpass Phoenix it would have to grow faster than it is right now and Phoenix will have to go into decline and start losing population, which might happen due to economic troubles or water scare or something, but I don't know.

Culturally they are different. Meaning they won't ever surpass each other culturally. They have their own distinct culture. Anyone who has been to both will know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,694,137 times
Probably Colubums, OH overtaking Cleveland. I think it's safe to say that if you ask the generic question "Name the big city in Ohio" the large majority would say "Cleveland". It's not that Cleveland is losing steam, but I just think Columbus is just gaining momentum... NHL team... Keeps anexing to grow bigger.

I just think back... 20 years ago you rarely heard of Columbus, now it's almost discussed more than Cleveland...

I would also say Madison, WI > MKE. Madison is a growing place and is catching up quick to a slower moving Milwaukee.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:
I had Columbus listed twice in the first list, and replace it with Cleveland in the second...
OK, but the Ohio comparison is still off, LOL.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
It's not that Cleveland is losing steam
It's not? It's declining not just in municipal population, but in metro area population also. Cleveland is indeed losing steam.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM

488 posts, read 855,823 times
While Columbus is catching up to Cleveland in a lot of ways, it is still a city (and metro) that is growing into itself. Cleveland already has the culture and infrastrucure that Columbus is still building. While it's true the MSA of Cleveland is declining and Columbus' may surpass it sometime in the next decade or so, the Cleveland CSA remains quite a bit bigger than Columbus' (just under 2.9 million versus a little over 2 million). I don't see Columbus "outshining" Cleveland or Cincinnati so much as becoming more of their peers as time goes on.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I would also say Madison, WI > MKE. Madison is a growing place and is catching up quick to a slower moving Milwaukee.
I agree. At +12.92%, Madison has had the greatest change in population of any metropolitan area in the Midwest. More people from outside of the Midwest are familiar with Madison vs. Milwaukee, and they're definitely on more people's radar screens than Milwaukee is. The general public's opinion of Madison is 99% always positive, whereas Milwaukee is at best 50/50.

Here's an example of why Madison is going to pass us up. Milwaukee's been fumbling around with $289 million in federal transportation funds since 1991 and still has nothing to show for it. Now all that's left of it is a measly $91 million (the rest was spent on highway repairs) and we're supposedly going to FINALLY build a 3 mile-long streetcar line with the remainder. I'm skeptical and I'm going with a I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it attitude. For $289 million we could have built a light rail system as extensive as Portland's back in 1991. We also can't get our act together and extend the Metra commuter rail service from Kenosha to Downtown Milwaukee either. On top of all that, the greater Milwaukee area doesn't even have a metro-wide bus system. Every county operates a separate system, it's totally retarded. In the meantime, Madison has formed an RTA with sales tax authority and already has plans for commuter rail from Sun Prairie across the isthmus with stops at the capitol, downtown, Monona Terrace, UW, Camp Randall, Kohl Center and ending in Middleton. Totally ridiculous IMHO. Oh well, props to them. I could easily see Chicago, MSP, and Madison as being the Midwest's premier cities (in some ways they already are).

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
Quote:
From July 2009 to July 2010, the metro Augusta area gained 4,700 jobs - more than any other metro area in the state.
Drop outs alter jobless rate | The Augusta Chronicle
Your getting way ahead of yourself here...

Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,694,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
I agree. At +12.92%, Madison has had the greatest change in population of any metropolitan area in the Midwest. More people from outside of the Midwest are familiar with Madison vs. Milwaukee, and they're definitely on more people's radar screens than Milwaukee is. The general public's opinion of Madison is 99% always positive, whereas Milwaukee is at best 50/50.

Here's an example of why Madison is going to pass us up. Milwaukee's been fumbling around with $289 million in federal transportation funds since 1991 and still has nothing to show for it. Now all that's left of it is a measly $91 million (the rest was spent on highway repairs) and we're supposedly going to FINALLY build a 3 mile-long streetcar line with the remainder. I'm skeptical and I'm going with a I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it attitude. For $289 million we could have built a light rail system as extensive as Portland's back in 1991. We also can't get our act together and extend the Metra commuter rail service from Kenosha to Downtown Milwaukee either. On top of all that, the greater Milwaukee area doesn't even have a metro-wide bus system. Every county operates a separate system, it's totally retarded. In the meantime, Madison has formed an RTA with sales tax authority and already has plans for commuter rail from Sun Prairie across the isthmus with stops at the capitol, downtown, Monona Terrace, UW, Camp Randall, Kohl Center and ending in Middleton. Totally ridiculous IMHO. Oh well, props to them. I could easily see Chicago, MSP, and Madison as being the Midwest's premier cities (in some ways they already are).
I almost have never heard of anything bad about Madison. it's always rave reviews

Old 08-25-2010, 05:11 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,017 times
I was gonna say Jersey City to Newark (b/c their close population sizes), but JC is much too close to NYC IMO

Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM

353 posts, read 651,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Maybe in terms of culture, as Atlanta is becoming more of an international city. But in terms of economic output, size, importance, there is no way this is happening in my lifetime. Atlanta has a massive lead over any other city in Georgia.

To be honest, I can see this one happening. Good find. Economic output and economic strength has never been one of Miami's strong points and economically it does not have as massive a lead on its Florida counterparts, which makes it vulnerable to being surpassed one day. By population, I don't think for the next 4 decades Miami has to worry, because its modestly growing now. Jacksonville is becoming a key Florida economic region as well, Orlando is stepping its game up, and so is Tampa. Culturally there are only a few cities in the country that can reach Miami's level. So Miami doesn't have to worry about that.
If Tampa-Orlando somehow become one metropolitan area one day, Miami might want to start showing concerns then.

Memphis is stagnating. Nashville is rising, and so is Knoxville. But the lead the main cities in Tennessee have is only growing, Nashville is in its boomtown phase.

This isn't happening. Austin's GDP is 80 Billion, Houston's 403 Billion, DFW 387 Billion. By economic output Houston has one of the fastest growing in the country, and DFW is close behind following. Economically its not happening. Culturally, every city in Texas is different in culture to be honest.
This is what each is known for:
DFW= True Texas: Fort Worth= Cowboy & Western vibe, Dallas= Texan (which is why Dallas is the cultural capital of Texas)
Houston= International
San Antonio= Tejano & Spanish
El Paso= The desert Wild West
Austin= Liberal, Hippie, Yuppified

All of them have a taste of people from around the world, but they all have their own culture. So culturally they are different, and none of them can surpass another in it.

By size, Houston by city has an EXTREME lead over everything else in Texas. By Metro DFW & Houston have an EXTREME lead over the other metros in Texas. So Austin surpassing them in any way, shape, or form is not happening in my lifetime. Fort Worth surpassing Dallas by city population might happen, which is a big "might" as it is growing faster than Dallas and closing the gap more and more. But not for another 25-30 years.

I don't doubt Columbus surpassing Cleveland, by metro population Columbus is edging Cleveland already. By city its already the largest in Ohio. But economically Columbus has a ways to go to reach the output of Cleveland and especially Cincinnati. I can see it surpassing Cleveland if all goes well for Columbus. However Cincinnati is growing both economically and by size, albeit at a far more modest rate but I don't see Columbus touching Cincinnati in either anytime soon at all. Cincinnati by 2010 census will have edged out in the tie it had with Cleveland metro and become the larger of the two.

Absolutely not. Charlotte only has to worry about Raleigh. Raleigh only has to worry about Charlotte. Thats the way its going to be in North Carolina. Raleigh is one hell of a mega boomtown. Its rather impressive especially to an outsider like me. I don't see either Durham or Greensboro surpassing either of those two in anything.

Absolutely not. By economic output, Los Angeles holds one of the largest in the world. 800+ Billion. It has nothing to worry about as far as Sacramento & San Diego goes. Bay Area cities of San Jose & Oakland though will be giving Los Angeles some good run though. Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, & Oakland) will be giving Los Angeles a good economic run from now on as Los Angeles is one of the most affected economical cities in the country by the recession. By population, Bay Area won't be touching that anytime soon, if ever in my lifetime.

Sacramento by economic output and by size is too small to give Los Angeles or San Francisco a scare right now. Maybe by population it can surpass San Francisco in 30 years from now, but thats about it.

I don't know enough about this to be honest.

LOL, absolutely not. Philadelphia economically & by size has a massive very massive lead over Pittsburgh in almost every way imaginable. I don't even see Pittsburgh's city limits surpassing Philadelphia anytime ever.

This one is possible. But its the hardest one to predict out of all of the ones you have up there. Tucson is 1/4th the size of Phoenix by metro. And 1/3 the size of Phoenix by city population. For it to surpass Phoenix it would have to grow faster than it is right now and Phoenix will have to go into decline and start losing population, which might happen due to economic troubles or water scare or something, but I don't know.

Culturally they are different. Meaning they won't ever surpass each other culturally. They have their own distinct culture. Anyone who has been to both will know what I mean.
No way Tucson passes Phoenix. Phoenix overshadows Tucson in just about everything. Phoenix's water situation is actually much better than Tucson's. Of all the desert cities in America, Phoenix's water situation is probably the best but for some reason everyone thinks it is the worst. Phoenix has a metro of 4.6 mil. and Tucson is barely 1 mil. Tucson is also more isolated and doesn't carry near as much clout as the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City