Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I agree. My point is a lot of people have trouble realizing there is more than one "South" and we're made up of several sub-regions like any other part of the country. It's weird to me how people are aware of a Mid-Atlantic and New England and can collectively classify it as the "Northeast". Or can separate the Pac NW from California and know it's all collectively the West Coast.
i only kind of agree with this. there are exceptions, but i honestly feel that the south has more in common as a whole than does the different parts of the northeast and the west coast. for one, all of the regions developed differently. for centuries, the northeast has revolved around several large urban cores. the south, on the other hand, is still pretty young in development, and in the early 20th century, really was in many ways a monolithic region....in other words, while there are indeed different regions of the south, the lines that separate them are somewhat "perforated" or even faded*; while in the northeast the lines are more solid and defined

i guess what i'm saying is, folks from east texas and central georgia are going to have more in common with each other than someone from southeast pennsylvania would with someone from vermont.

i'm sure i'll have quite a few people disagree with me, but as someone who was raised and has lived THROUGHOUT the south, i definitely feel my opinion is more than sound

*exceptions would definitely be the new orleans/savannah/charleston/etc. enclaves

Last edited by AlGreen; 08-27-2010 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Little Rock

Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i guess what i'm saying is, folks from east texas and central georgia are going to have more in common with each other than someone from southeast pennsylvania would with someone from vermont.
Definitely agree, AlGreen!

And would even take it a step further. I will go so far as to say that people in west Texas have more in common (historically and culturally and all that entails) with folks from Alabama and/or Tennesse -- when it comes down to brass tacks -- than they do with the actual neighboring states of New Mexico and certainly (slightly neighboring) Colorado. Because that is where most came from (along with Mississippi, Georgia, etc). Anglo and black southeasterners primarily shaped west Texas (even the Texas cowboy is a direct decendant of the Old South cattle drover tradition, not the Mexican vaquero). The major Texas cities have an undeniably Southern core to them, even if there have been demographic changes over the years.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Little Rock
It's nice, but definitely not the best in the South.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lol, I wish Miami Beach was included with the City of Miami. If that was the case this would be no contest. IMO theres nothing like South Beach in the rest of the south.
I agree with you on this point...

Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
DOWNTOWN HOUSTON:

http://www.toddicus.com/houston%20downtown%20kiam2.JPG

DOWNTOWN DALLAS:

http://www.dallaswestend.org/uploaded/about/020.JPG (broken link)

DOWNTOWN ATLANTA:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3255/...e6978eafaa.jpg
I love this man. Those photos are what the DT's of those cities resemble.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
DOWNTOWN DC

Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
I think for sheer number of ATTRACTIONS, downtown Atlanta is hard to beat. If you're talking clubs / nightlife / shopping, maybe not since the best clubs are in Midtown and the best shopping of course is in Buckhead. But those are just a short subway ride from downtown, so ...

Downtown Atlanta has:

CENTENNIAL OLYMPIC PARK

PEMBERTON PLACE, home to both the GEORGIA AQUARIUM (center) and WORLD OF COKE (lower right):

CNN CENTER, GEORGIA DOME, PHILIPS ARENA AND WORLD CONGRESS CENTER:

UNDERGROUND ATLANTA:

And of course ... MARTA:

COMING SOON TO DOWNTOWN ATLANTA:
National Center for Civil and Human Rights
National Center for Civil & Human Rights - More than a Civil Rights Museum - Atlanta, GA
National Health Museum
The National Health Museum
College Football Hall of Fame (relocating from South Bend, Ind.)
College Football Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can any other Southern city beat this?!
I think this may have given ATL the title in my book.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
i only kind of agree with this. there are exceptions, but i honestly feel that the south has more in common as a whole than does the different parts of the northeast and the west coast. for one, all of the regions developed differently. for centuries, the northeast has revolved around several large urban cores. the south, on the other hand, is still pretty young in development, and in the early 20th century, really was in many ways a monolithic region....in other words, while there are indeed different regions of the south, the lines that separate them are somewhat "perforated" or even faded*; while in the northeast the lines are more solid and defined

i'm sure i'll have quite a few people disagree with me, but as someone who was raised and has lived THROUGHOUT the south, i definitely feel my opinion is more than sound

*exceptions would definitely be the new orleans/savannah/charleston/etc. enclaves
As one who has live throughout the South myself(FL, TX, NC), I will have to slightly disagree. I'll put it like this. Someone in Philly, has more in common with someone in Boston, than say someone in Miami has with someone in Jacksonville. And I think you'd have to include Miami with those exceptions.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think this may have given ATL the title in my book.
Baltimore gets the title. You will see more in one block of downtown Baltimore than 2 or 3 blocks in those other cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City