Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Orlando's DT is relatively vibrant for a city of 230,000. For its much larger metro area, it might be a bit underwhelming, but overall, it's pretty nice. There are a lot of clubs and restaurants and nearby residential areas. Is it the most vibrant? Hell no, but it's not dead either.

I've never been to DT Nashville, but the only part of DT Memphis that was really vibrant to me was the Beale Street area.

A lot of the neighborhoods you are mentioning for Atlanta aren't a part of what's recognized as the Downtown area, just a part of the immediate urban core of Atlanta, so that argument is a FAIL. Downtown is a distinct area of its own. I might as well say that Bankhead and the AUC/West End or the Old Fourth Ward are Downtown with this type of logic.
WestEnd IS part of downtown.Old Fourth Ward is too.So is Castleberry Hill and I believe although not sure,is Grant Park.Centennial Olympic Park with the museums and Aquarium are and booming.

The difference as you seem to suggest is that Orlando because of its bars/clubs boom at night.But where are the peple in the day?Atlanta's downtown is the exact opposite. Remember NO other city has a daytime population that explodes more in the day.There are a lack of clubs in my opinion but restaurants on Marietta and Luckie streets are booming.

Even downtown on Peachtree as early as this last month has put new bars/ restaurant on the street level.Maybe it is still behind,but with all the attractions downtown Atlanta I only see people complaining about 5points/Underground which bTW is ghetto but by no means isolated or desolate.

BTW has anyone ate at the new Waffle House @ Underground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
WestEnd IS part of downtown.Old Fourth Ward is too.So is Castleberry Hill and I believe although not sure,is Grant Park.Centennial Olympic Park with the museums and Aquarium are and booming.

The difference as you seem to suggest is that Orlando because of its bars/clubs boom at night.But where are the peple in the day?Atlanta's downtown is the exact opposite. Remember NO other city has a daytime population that explodes more in the day.There are a lack of clubs in my opinion but restaurants on Marietta and Luckie streets are booming.

Even downtown on Peachtree as early as this last month has put new bars/ restaurant on the street level.Maybe it is still behind,but with all the attractions downtown Atlanta I only see people complaining about 5points/Underground which bTW is ghetto but by no means isolated or desolate.

BTW has anyone ate at the new Waffle House @ Underground?
Underground is mini fordham rd.. I looks like something you would find in the boroughs of NYC.. you can find the Hottest sneakers down there. but there are some bars and lunges like Luckies,Thrive, Stats, Club inferno.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Pretty much all downtowns are central business districts, so daytime activity goes without saying. The true strength and well-roundedness of a downtown is judged by after-hours activity. Outside of museums, the after-hours focus in Atlanta has just shifted over the years away from downtown and towards Midtown.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Very few in here are "glorifying" DT Atlanta. Many may be pointing out the attractions that may be there, but many are admitting the shortcomings of the DT area, including the issue of vagrancy. There has been little Atlanta homerism on here compared to other threads.

Or is this yet another one of your sad, pathethic attempts to yet again b! tch on a message board about how much you hated Atlanta in order to bait posters instead of enjoying the time in the new city that you relocated to or actually contributing to the conversation with something meaningful? How childish and idiotic, but not surprising coming from the likes of you.
Actually dead on response, i spent my lunch time in downtown Dallas today after a great job interview in one of the beautiful highrises, and enjoyed main street garden after a short walk from my interview and loved that i didnt get hit up for change one time. ahhh it is so nice. I know youre considering a move to Dallas yourself, you should take the plunge like I did. I dont think you'll regret it one bit, as I dont. but yet another typical atlanta homer response to put down anyone who doesnt think its eutopia. i guess im just not into "that scene". sorry tons of panhandlers isnt my idea of a vibrant downtown. =(

Last edited by R1070; 09-01-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Downtown Atlanta itself lacks downtown Orlando's walkable, bar-hopping atmosphere. Just go downtown Atlanta on a Saturday night and go to downtown Orlando and see the difference. They had that in Buckhead, but they decided to trade that in for a shopping mall. Goodbye old Fado, Tongue and Groove, etc. Midtown is a good nightlife district, but there should be more considering its location. Atlanta's nightlife has many great offerings, but it's spread out in pockets around the city.
Ok let's count how many incorrect statements you made. First you say

1.) downtown Atlanta lacks walkability...

downtown 81 Downtown, Atlanta - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score
five points 95 Five Points, Atlanta - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score (http://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta/Five_Points - broken link)
sweet auburn 88 Sweet Auburn, Atlanta - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score

3 areas considered downtown very walkable and served by transit

Downtown is not walkable.... false.

2.) As far as walkable and bar hopping. There are other areas than this, but I only have to say 2 words underground Atlanta... there are over 6 or 7 clubs on top of one another that go until 4 am...
Underground Atlanta - Kennys Alley

Atlanta lacks bar-hopping atmoshphere... false

3.) tounge and groove is still there Tongue and Groove Atlanta Night Clubs, Buckhead - Lindbergh City Center

"goodbye tounge and groove"... hello foot in mouth

4.) Atlanta's nightlife is spread out in pockets... depending on what you mean... if you mean there are several nightlife areas spread throughout the metro... true

If you mean that there are not areas where you have a cluster of nightlife in one spot then once again... False

I have been to Orlando... I had a good time... don't get me wrong, but it's not better than Downtown Altanta imho and it makes my case when you have to make false statements to knock Atlanta...

Furthermore nightlife is only one area what about other areas

Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually dead on response, i spent my lunch time in downtown Dallas today after a great job interview in one of the beautiful highrises, and enjoyed main street garden after a short walk from my interview and loved that i didnt get hit up for change one time. ahhh it is so nice. I know youre considering a move to Dallas yourself, you should take the plunge like I did. I dont think you'll regret it one bit, as I dont. but yet another typical atlanta homer response to put down anyone who doesnt think its eutopia. i guess im just not into "that scene". sorry tons of panhandlers isnt my idea of a vibrant downtown. =(

I never said Atlanta was a utopia. Never have, never will. It's a city with issues and problems like any other major city in the country. And who said anything about panhandlers making a DT area "vibrant"? You're grasping at straws here.

Besides, DT Dallas isn't exactly panhandler free, and they have issues with it too. Is it as much of a problem as it is in Atlanta? No, but don't act as if they don't have a problem either.

If I ever were to move to Dallas, I hope I'll be able spend my time with mature people who don't have a pathological desire to bash a city all the time the way you do. Get help.

Last edited by grindin; 09-01-2010 at 06:40 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Wow. After skimming through the thread, I can't believe only like two people have mentioned Nashville. If you've never been, it's seriously one of the coolest downtowns I've ever been too.

Anyways, in addition to Nashville, I would add New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, and Fort Worth (mainly because of their museum district). Downtown Dallas and Houston are cool, but their downtowns just don't have as much character or personality as the other cities mentioned.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
I dont know about the histories in Dallas or the other cities,but I do know that Atlanta very much DID have a livable urban center with a huge network of streetcars dating back to as early as 1910.

Between 1950-1960.Atlanta city proper gained 160,000 people!That's the Golden Age of the automobile.The population of Atlanta did not began to loose population until after 1970 reaching its lowest in 1990 (394,00)before finally growing and surpassing its highest total today of about 550,00.

Actually, the trolleys and streetcars where pretty common in most big cities before the 1960's. In Houston, when my grandfather was a kid here, they had streetcars, but like Atlanta (I'm assuming), they where torn down becuase the city turned into a car based city so the city had no use for them and dismantled the tracks.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Actually, the trolleys and streetcars where pretty common in most big cities before the 1960's. In Houston, when my grandfather was a kid here, they had streetcars, but like Atlanta (I'm assuming), they where torn down becuase the city turned into a car based city so the city had no use for them and dismantled the tracks.
You assume right. Streetcars were a common form of transportation in Atlanta until the 50's. My father once told me that you can always recognize the neighborhoods here that were served by streetcar because the power poles are still directly opposite each other (to accommodate overhead lines).

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Ok let's count how many incorrect statements you made. First you say

1.) downtown Atlanta lacks walkability...

downtown 81 Downtown, Atlanta - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score
five points 95 Five Points, Atlanta - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score (http://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta/Five_Points - broken link)
sweet auburn 88 Sweet Auburn, Atlanta - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score

3 areas considered downtown very walkable and served by transit

Downtown is not walkable.... false.

2.) As far as walkable and bar hopping. There are other areas than this, but I only have to say 2 words underground Atlanta... there are over 6 or 7 clubs on top of one another that go until 4 am...
Underground Atlanta - Kennys Alley

Atlanta lacks bar-hopping atmoshphere... false

3.) tounge and groove is still there Tongue and Groove Atlanta Night Clubs, Buckhead - Lindbergh City Center

"goodbye tounge and groove"... hello foot in mouth

4.) Atlanta's nightlife is spread out in pockets... depending on what you mean... if you mean there are several nightlife areas spread throughout the metro... true

If you mean that there are not areas where you have a cluster of nightlife in one spot then once again... False

I have been to Orlando... I had a good time... don't get me wrong, but it's not better than Downtown Altanta imho and it makes my case when you have to make false statements to knock Atlanta...

Furthermore nightlife is only one area what about other areas
Come on man, give Pete a break. He moved away between the time the Streets of Buckhead wiped out the old clubs and T&G relocated to Lindbergh City Center.

As far as his remark about the nightlife in Downtown Orlando being more walkable than our Downtown nightlife, I totally agree with him. Orlando has everything very centralized over a couple of square blocks in the heart of Downtown. It's a much smaller area than our Downtown, so it feels much more vibrant. There are literally hundreds of people wandering from club to club.

As far as Underground goes, no comment. I will say it was a blast when it first re-opened in the late 80's.......

The bottom line here, PeteC is no Atlanta basher, and made nothing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City