Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If the Magic win the Championship, then they'll let everyone drink til 6AM, but the Magic WON'T win, the Heat will, so Miami will be the same ole, same ole, party land.
ha ha our only hope is if Lebron follows through on his wish to "take his talents to South Beach" instead of Miami lol. Tip off: "Where's Bron??" "Oh didn't you hear, he took his talents to South Beach and I think he's at Lincoln Road Mall right now." And then of course, there is always Dwight Howard, who shuts down James fairly easily... oh wait I forgot, you guys have Wade too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
ha ha our only hope is if Lebron follows through on his wish to "take his talents to South Beach" instead of Miami lol. Tip off: "Where's Bron??" "Oh didn't you hear, he took his talents to South Beach and I think he's at Lincoln Road Mall right now." And then of course, there is always Dwight Howard, who shuts down James fairly easily... oh wait I forgot, you guys have Wade too.
I personally think Dwade is better than LBJ. I've been a Heat fan since the Tim Hardaway days.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I personally think Dwade is better than LBJ. I've been a Heat fan since the Tim Hardaway days.
I agree that Wade is better than James period. I've been a Magic fan since the Penny Hardaway days lol.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I agree that Wade is better than James period. I've been a Magic fan since the Penny Hardaway days lol.
Both Hardaways.haha. One is a homophobe though.lol

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
I grew up a Heat fan, but live in Orlando now and got caught up with the Magic...love to root for the home team. I am torn between the two teams, but the Magic have no shot against the Heat anymore. D-Wade is my favorite player, and I think he is more clutch than LBJ. LBJ can score all day, but hasn't shown me the killer instinct and winner mentality of Wade...other than that dream 3-pointer that he hit against the Magic which they show ALL THE TIME and oh, BTW, they LOST the series!! The only team capable of stopping the Heat now are the Lakers due to their experience, coaching, and Kobe. Wow, we have gone quite a ways off topic here.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
^Truth. It's sad that even when faced with a Youtube video proving people wrong about Orlando, the insults and insane reasoning persist. I spent a few minutes laughing at the person who discounted how busy Orlando was by saying something about how the party looked. Listen, nobody on here has to like Orlando, you can leave that pleasure to those of us brave enough to live here and travel north of International Drive.

Atlanta shuts down between 2 and 2:30am to my knowledge as well as many other major cities like LA. When I was there we had to take a cab to Dekalb county to drink till 4, not sure if that's possible anymore. Orlando has played with 3am for some Magic games, I'm hopping Mayor Buddy "Downtown" Dyer gets the message about such a change needing to be permanent.

Wrong try 3 to 4 am. Some bars close at 2 but not the clubs or strip clubs.. In dekalb clubs stay open too 6am.. There's nothing wrong with Orlando, it just used to be a bit dull..I made plenty of trips when I was in school in daytona beach..

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Wrong try 3 to 4 am. Some bars close at 2 but not the clubs or strip clubs.. In dekalb clubs stay open too 6am.. There's nothing wrong with Orlando, it just used to be a bit dull..I made plenty of trips when I was in school in daytona beach..
Very cool! glad to see the city turned around on the ordinance for 2:30. this must have been done very recently, when I was there a few months ago the bars still closed before 3 and even closed as early as 11:45 on Sunday. Only strip club I had been to is swinging richards and that closes at 3. I know the city was toying with the idea of implementing a fee to get an after hours permit, perhaps this is what has recently been inacted for the places you say are open til 4am. In Dekalb the bars close later, I was under the impression that the county law was 4am but must have some type of after hours rules because I know club europe stays open until 6am.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I grew up a Heat fan, but live in Orlando now and got caught up with the Magic...love to root for the home team. I am torn between the two teams, but the Magic have no shot against the Heat anymore. D-Wade is my favorite player, and I think he is more clutch than LBJ. LBJ can score all day, but hasn't shown me the killer instinct and winner mentality of Wade...other than that dream 3-pointer that he hit against the Magic which they show ALL THE TIME and oh, BTW, they LOST the series!! The only team capable of stopping the Heat now are the Lakers due to their experience, coaching, and Kobe. Wow, we have gone quite a ways off topic here.
Haha, I agree, they keep showing that LBJ shot as if they won the series, but THEY LOST!! And yes, the Lakers are still the best team, until someone dethrones them. And I don't know if the Heat are ready to face Kobe yet. He's too fierce.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
^Truth. It's sad that even when faced with a Youtube video proving people wrong about Orlando, the insults and insane reasoning persist. I spent a few minutes laughing at the person who discounted how busy Orlando was by saying something about how the party looked. Listen, nobody on here has to like Orlando, you can leave that pleasure to those of us brave enough to live here and travel north of International Drive.

Atlanta shuts down between 2 and 2:30am to my knowledge as well as many other major cities like LA. When I was there we had to take a cab to Dekalb county to drink till 4, not sure if that's possible anymore. Orlando has played with 3am for some Magic games, I'm hopping Mayor Buddy "Downtown" Dyer gets the message about such a change needing to be permanent.
No the clubs close at 3am M-Sat.Last call is 2:30Sundays its 12(11:30) am.Underground Atlanta bars can stay open to 4 am.

Last call (bar term) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I admit I did not know Qrlando was as lively as some of you say,But I just disagree about one being livelier than the other based purely nightlife.What about attractions? restaurants?Public Gathering spots?Transportation?Office buildings.is orlando as busy in the day as it is at night?Im just asking.

Look at Manhattan in NYC.There are section that are quite ,dark and desolate.Even on a Friday night.Yet no one would ever say Manhattan is not vibrant.

No im not saying Atlanta is NYC.Im just saying if you look at one area that is small in comparison to the total area where can find many similarities.I live downtown.I hangout downtown.*
As far as some of those other cities like Memphis?Nashville?

Not to mention that parts of Atlanta are located also in Dekalb county.(Druid Hills,Buford HWY etc).The new mayor actually supports repealing parts of the ban.
Some of my favorite things about Downtown:
This is a visual arts project in Castleberry Hill at night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBxjXUajwcg&feature=related

These are the thing I know and do often downtown:
Favorite restaurant and bars are:
Social-Brazilian Bistro and bar, Danneman's Coffee on Edgewood,eat at Rolling Bones BBQ,
The Rooftop Pool Terrace/ Bar at the W
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs167.snc1/6249_141105201211_630596211_3825777_5318717_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs167.snc1/6249_141105211211_630596211_3825779_8198654_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs167.snc1/6249_141105216211_630596211_3825780_2279120_n.jpg (broken link)
,24hr Kareokee Bar spot on Andrew Young International,Sweet Auburn live Blues club,Brunch at Sweet Auburn Bistro,

Between the Castleberry Hill,C.O.P.,The Aquarium,World of Coca Cola,CNN Center,The Underground, The Convention Center,Hockey Basketball or concerts Phillips Arena,The Georgia Dome,Martin Luther King Jr home,museum,Sweet Auburn Curb Market.

Some people may not know because I was not even aware until recently that at least 3 new bars have popped up on Edgewood near Auburn Ave.I went to meet a friend at a club there and it was a crowd dancing and listening to "indie rock".
I knew about Circa Cafe. and the live music they play there(I recommend this to everyone).Nice place with great blues and Jazz..http://www.linkingatlanta.com/Cafe_Circa1.jpg (broken link)

One of my favorite spots also is the rooftop Terrace at the Glen Hotel.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I admit I did not know Qrlando was as lively as some of you say,But I just disagree about one being livelier than the other based purely nightlife.What about attractions? restaurants?Public Gathering spots?Transportation?Office buildings.is orlando as busy in the day as it is at night?Im just asking.
Every CBD is busy in the day, even in the sleepiest city there is. If all of the bars and clubs make downtown Orlando more vibrant and active versus Atlanta with parks and attractions (including bars), then it just is what it is. In that case, Atlanta's downtown might be more well-rounded, but Orlando's would qualify as more active during non-business hours. It would just depend on what your definition of "better" is.

Quote:
As far as some of those other cities like Memphis?Nashville?
Dude, Memphis and Nashville are BIG music cities, any those types of cities tend to be quite active. Memphis has Beale Street, and Nashville has tons of live music venues like Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City