Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Pretty much. But I didn't drive in either of them. Also I have never lived in either of them, so I don't know about that. But I have recently visited both.
From my perception Washington DC is indeed only about like 60 square miles or so, give or take a bit, but it feels more spread out, where as Baltimore is more centered and built up around that. Which is why I may have felt the difference. Then again remember from where I come from either of them would be considered far more fast paced.

WEll yea density wise DC is more consdensed and closer together ....on another note Baltimore is more row house oriented of a specific structure while D.C is somewhat rowhouse/ brownstone/ low rise apartment oriented... which does structurally gives both cities a different vibe....the south baltimore housing looks similar to D.C

Last edited by boreatwork; 08-26-2010 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
^^^indeed your opinion bc no way is Baltimore or any area in Baltimore county more fast paced than the DC area I will confirm that....you can barely hit 70 on 695....I can barely go less than 70 on 495 ...thats the reason bmore isnt like DC is bc it isnt the hussle and bussle of D.C and more laid back atmospherically if thats a word
Gotta, disagree there, "I can confirm" that at least driving wise, Baltimoreans drive faster than people in the D.C. area, even the speed limits are higher in the Baltimore area and the cops aren't as stingy looking for traffic violations when places like Montgomery has violations by illegal immigrants.

Better Drivers to Worst go in this order... Baltimore > Maryland National Capital Region > D.C. > Northern Virginia. It's a toss up though between the last two, while D.C. residents drive slow in the far left lane, they also drive clueless like they don't know where they are going. I give them the benefit of the doubt and attribute it to the urban environment they live in.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Baltimore/Washington

Business - edge goes to Baltimore, has pure entrepreneur/business environment. Has larger and more popular public companies like Under Armour, T.Rowe, Legg Mason, McCormick etc. Bmore is actually starting to be known for Biotech with two Bioparks, D.C. IDK outside the federal gov prop.

Education -
Baltimore has the edge again, Johns Hopkins is better at whats its known for than what the top rated DC school is known for.

Hospitals -
Baltimore again, they're actually new too, D.C. has a sorry state of hospitals for being the nations capital

Airport -
BWI is just a pleasant experience comparedto Dulles or National

Sports -
Camden yards is better than the Nationals stadium, Ravens better than Redskins (ya I said it).

Built Urban Environment -
Baltimore has highrises but D.C. has more historic and monumental well kept architecture. I will say though Baltimore has the best rowhouses, the best Baltimore rowhouse beats the best D.C. row house and Baltimore has a larger variety.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I understand the sentiment of the above 2 posts, but what I will say is that Baltimore is becoming largely what DC has long been..... where the AA culture is the dominating culture and the others are less significant.

Nowadays in Baltimore, the AA community is the dominant culture. The others are far less significant than they used to be.

So in that sense, they are actually a lot alike.
The difference as people have said though, is that the AA community is the only permanent culture in DC, while Baltimore has many more groups than just AAs that have been there for generations.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Gotta, disagree there, "I can confirm" that at least driving wise, Baltimoreans drive faster than people in the D.C. area, even the speed limits are higher in the Baltimore area and the cops aren't as stingy looking for traffic violations when places like Montgomery has violations by illegal immigrants.

Better Drivers to Worst go in this order... Baltimore > Maryland National Capital Region > D.C. > Northern Virginia. It's a toss up though between the last two, while D.C. residents drive slow in the far left lane, they also drive clueless like they don't know where they are going. I give them the benefit of the doubt and attribute it to the urban environment they live in.
I think they both drive about the same in both cities, drivers in both cities drive pretty fast. I think driving fast is a city thing; driving in heavy traffic what makes or breaks a driver.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
WEll yea density wise DC is more consdensed and closer together ....on another note Baltimore is more row house oriented of a specific structure while D.C is somewhat rowhouse/ brownstone/ low rise apartment oriented... which does structurally gives both cities a different vibe....the south baltimore housing looks similar to D.C
Are you saying you feel like DC is denser than Baltimore? I feel like DC feels like a really big city in downtown, but I feel like Baltimore is a little more walkable. Both are very walkable, but I find that DC has some huge streets and lots of blocks of huge government buildings downtown that suck up a whole block. If there was more street-facing retail, and I didn't have to cross so many 6 - 8 lane streets, I would feel like they're pretty even.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Baltimore/Washington

Business - edge goes to Baltimore, has pure entrepreneur/business environment. Has larger and more popular public companies like Under Armour, T.Rowe, Legg Mason, McCormick etc. Bmore is actually starting to be known for Biotech with two Bioparks, D.C. IDK outside the federal gov prop.

Education - Baltimore has the edge again, Johns Hopkins is better at whats its known for than what the top rated DC school is known for.

Hospitals - Baltimore again, they're actually new too, D.C. has a sorry state of hospitals for being the nations capital

Airport - BWI is just a pleasant experience comparedto Dulles or National

Sports - Camden yards is better than the Nationals stadium, Ravens better than Redskins (ya I said it).

Built Urban Environment - Baltimore has highrises but D.C. has more historic and monumental well kept architecture. I will say though Baltimore has the best rowhouses, the best Baltimore rowhouse beats the best D.C. row house and Baltimore has a larger variety.
Haha. This is funny. I will agree that Camden Yards is better than Nationals Stadium, however. Nats Stadium looks like a convention center. Very unimpressive.

National Airport is one of the most convenient airports in the world.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
but I find that DC has some huge streets and lots of blocks of huge government buildings downtown that suck up a whole block.
You mean like this?

washington dc - Google Maps

And this?

Or this?

Or even worse, this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
If there was more street-facing retail, and I didn't have to cross so many 6 - 8 lane streets, I would feel like they're pretty even.
Something more like this?

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Or this?

Or better yet this?

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Baltimore/Washington

Education - Baltimore has the edge again, Johns Hopkins is better at whats its known for than what the top rated DC school is known for.

Hospitals - Baltimore again, they're actually new too, D.C. has a sorry state of hospitals for being the nations capital

Airport - BWI is just a pleasant experience comparedto Dulles or National

Sports - Camden yards is better than the Nationals stadium, Ravens better than Redskins (ya I said it).

Built Urban Environment - Baltimore has highrises but D.C. has more historic and monumental well kept architecture. I will say though Baltimore has the best rowhouses, the best Baltimore rowhouse beats the best D.C. row house and Baltimore has a larger variety.

REally now....Baltimore just beats D.C in every category huh?....

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
REally now....Baltimore just beats D.C in every category huh?....
for some people, the answer is a solid Yes. For others no.

Regan is the best airport in the area, followed by BWI, and finally Dulles IMO. Dulles sucks big time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City