Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
That's what I've been saying the whole time! I appreciate that you feel the same!!
No, my wife has family in Minnesota. It's a great place, especially the Northern part of the state. I strapped my canoe on top of the truck last summer and spent 3 weeks canoeing Voyageurs and the Boundary Waters. Lots of respect for MN. These are two great states, and this should be kept very civil and respectful. Not like the NJ/Ga thread. I think that one had a clear winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

Most black Minnesotans are originally from here, or from Chicago or Detroit. Very few came from the South (as far as I know).
many if not most black midwesterners are the descendants of southern black migrants

Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and here's some for minneapolis

minneapolis soul food - Google Maps
Most of those places are African or Caribbean soul food (totally different), or closed.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Most of those places are African or Caribbean soul food (totally different), or closed.
it doesn't matter. soul food is soul food with it's southern roots

Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
No, my wife has family in Minnesota. It's a great place, especially the Northern part of the state. I strapped my canoe on top of the truck last summer and spent 3 weeks canoeing Voyageurs and the Boundary Waters. Lots of respect for MN. These are two great states, and this should be kept very civil and respectful. Not like the NJ/Ga thread. I think that one had a clear winner.
Exactly. I have family in Georgia, and I still make it down that way every few years. This may shock some people, but I was actually born in a small town west of Athens, GA, though I don't consider myself a Southerner by any means.

A few years ago, I spent some time in Georgia's Appalachian Mountains, north of Dahlonega. It was beautiful, and actually not too hot (it was spring - April).

I know I'm known as the South basher on this forum, but I actually have a lot of respect for many Southern places, including Georgia. I bash because I love.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it doesn't matter. soul food is soul food with it's southern roots
Africa is in the South? "African soul food" = traditional African cuisine. From Africa, with roots in Africa.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Flywriter, I think you hate a lot of places, so for those of you who aren't use to him, don't take offense. Instead, appreciate the fact that he took the time to antogonize you, meaning he likes you but not sure that you're better than him (cities vs. cities, of course).

Flywriter, let me know if this is WAYYYYY off base.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I think it didn't.

Both GA & MN are great states, both are large with plenty of differences between areas in the states, however GA appeals to me more.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Africa is in the South? "African soul food" = traditional African cuisine. From Africa, with roots in Africa.
excuse me, but i grew up in a house with soul food cooks. the cuisine itself has roots in africa. african/caribbean soul food places are found down south as well, and for the most part, it's southern american inspired cuisine with an exotic twist. there are exceptions, but for the most part what i'm saying is true. the term "soul food" itself was coined in america, so that oughta tell you something

Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Flywriter, I think you hate a lot of places, so for those of you who aren't use to him, don't take offense. Instead, appreciate the fact that he took the time to antogonize you, meaning he likes you but not sure that you're better than him (cities vs. cities, of course).

Flywriter, let me know if this is WAYYYYY off base.
It is kind of is wayyyyy off base. I don't "hate" anywhere, Im just passionate about Michigan and Minnesota. I guess I let my love for my home states get in the way of appreciation for other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City