Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The merger was finalized in October, 2008 and everything I'm seeing is saying many/most employees started to relocate in 2008. The survey shows relocation for all of 2008. I think the "takeover" is a likely culprit.
The two airlines flew with separate operating certificates until 12/31/2010, and were for all intents and purposes two separate airlines at that point, but there may have been some movement of personnel before that ... I do remember folks asking about moving to ATL in the Atlanta forum over the past year or two from the Twin Cities, and some of those were related to the takeover.

Not sure how many folks moved from the former NW SOC in MSP Bldg F to the OCC in ATL in 2008, tho. I don't personally know anyone who moved, but I've not really kept in touch with anyone outside of Bldg J since I left NWA in 2002.

I would guess 400-500 in total in the end will move or have moved, just pulling a number out of thin air. There are a lot of target counties involved on this end of things, though, and even on the Twin Cities side you're talking about several counties, so those 500 people might only show up as a handful in each county-to-county total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 PM

65 posts, read 75,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner;
Atlanta has a fairly large percentage of transplants already, so I suspect it's more open to others. 100,000 a year for the past 30 years kinda makes them a regular occurrence, ya know?
Yeah, you just get used to them really. Went to Landmark Diner yesterday and our server was a transplant from Brussels. He spoke moderately fluent English and said that he really likes it here- an engineering major at GT.

Many more from NYC, Detroit, DC and Philly though.

Listening to the radio at Starbucks on Lindbergh last weekend, I lost track of time and consequently drained the battery. SMH The guy parked next to me (whom I patiently waited to come out and avoid further humiliation) had a defined NE accent. He was gracious enough to assist then later confirmed that he was from NYC, the accent was there. I can attest that NY'ers aren't as bad as some make them out to be (especially now).

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Mint Condition is the best live R&B band of all time, if you ask me.
Um...HELL NO!!Earth Wind,and Fire ring a bell?Kool and the Gang?The Commodores(Linoel Richie)?S.O.S.?LTD?The Ohio Players?Sly and the Family STone?The Doobie Brothers?:smack :
You have LOST your mind!!
Their good but....NOOOOOOOOOO!!
:h amd:

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Not good enough. I want YOUR opinion. Or any other reason. I think it's the typical empty-nester and YUPPY transplantation that's happening all across the sunbelt, and Atlanta has/had lots of jobs. For people with a family and who aren't rich enough for private school, I can't imaging Georgia is the ideal place for their kids to go to K-12.
Well in that case I suppose AMERICA is not the IDEAL pace for kids to go to school,Do you know how many Europeans and Asians complain about the quality of schools in America and how we rank low among developed nations?If you ging to use that worn out excuse for MN is just hands down better then why cannot it work to say why France is better than the U.S.?
I asked this question when this first came up 100 pages or so ago.Of course NO ANSWER.Im sure it was just an oversight......
Well im waiting this time too...

Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^LOL! The data used in the Forbes maps was gathered in 2008, prior to the completion of Delta's takeover of Northwest. How funny that you deduce that can be the ONLY reason more people move from MPS to ATL than the reverse.

Try again.
I cracked up on that remark too. Feeble ,just feeble.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well in that case I suppose AMERICA is not the IDEAL pace for kids to go to school,Do you know how many Europeans and Asians complain about the quality of schools in America and how we rank low among developed nations?If you ging to use that worn out excuse for MN is just hands down better then why cannot it work to say why France is better than the U.S.?
I asked this question when this first came up 100 pages or so ago.Of course NO ANSWER.Im sure it was just an oversight......
Well im waiting this time too...
I think schools in the US catch up eventually, which is one of the reasons that so many students come to the US from all over the world to obtain their college degrees. We just take longer to get there.

I'm not convinced that France is better than the US if you consider all levels of education available in both countries. Are you?

I guess the same could be said about Georgia, too. Eh? After all, Georgia Tech is a nice trophy on the mantelpiece from a GA perspective.

Too bad so many GA kids have to wallow through crap to get there, tho, HOPE scholarship and all...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 09-21-2010 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Fixed bad line break

Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon Kirkpatrick View Post
Yeah, you just get used to them really. Went to Landmark Diner yesterday and our server was a transplant from Brussels. He spoke moderately fluent English and said that he really likes it here- an engineering major at GT.

Many more from NYC, Detroit, DC and Philly though.
You know, this is something that has always gotten under my skin, that people from other parts of the country throw down on Atlanta for this or that reason and have NO IDEA how many of their fellow brethren actually inhabit the place now. I mean, Atlanta truly is a melting pot from all over the country, nee the world. (Atlanta has the largest Korean community in the nation FYI).

Just peruse these boards and you'll see thread topics about people from Miami or Chicago or New York or California asking about moving to Atlanta and there's always an inundation of comments from people who have made the move and have encouraging things to say, offering immediate friendships to newcomers. This is something that's common in most of the fastest growing Sunbelt cities I imagine -- Charlotte, Nashville, Orlando, Dallas, Houston. But it's always seemed particularly unique and noticeable in Atlanta.

Growing up, I had MANY MANY MANY friends whose families were from Ohio, Mass, Penn, Illinois and had moved to the Atlanta region for whatever reason (usually airline related) and they were wonderful people who built great lives here, got involved in community, joined churches, were active in the public schools, etc. Most of them eventually became Braves or Bulldog fans, though they then and still do tend to stay loyal to the hometown NFL teams. Now these friends of mine are grown and have kids of their own and are still here -- 2nd and 3rd generation Georgians now.

Every Sunday in Atlanta, you will find sports bars across town PACKED with fans of distant teams who make up the local Atlanta fan clubs. I know there is a Minnesota Vikings fan club in Atlanta. Is there an Atlanta Falcons club in the Twin Cities? I highly doubt so.

I noticed something similar when I got out of college. I went to UGA and moved back to Atlanta, made friends with grads from all the major SE schools who had ALSO moved to Atlanta after school. I had one good friend from UNC and we would go to the bars in ATL and he would casually run into frat brothers of his from Carolina who now lived in Atlanta. I guarantee you if I'd have gone to Charlotte I wouldn't have run into Georgia classmates on the street there!

Bottom line: You can move to any neighborhood in Metro Atlanta and chances are you're going to find somebody on your street who is from the same place you are. I doubt I could move somewhere up north and find a fellow Atlantan so easily. It ... JUST ... DOES ... NOT ... WORK ... THAT ... WAY. Atlanta is a mecca and a melting pot of people from all over. And once most people get to Atlanta, they don't want to leave.

That's not empty civic boosterism. That's FACT.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Does anyone else besides me find this person completely obnoxious? He keeps twisting my words, he doesn't read my sources when I present facts. If I present opinions he whines and moans about it if he doesn't like it. He works for the airline industry (or did) and can't add anything more to my question than hurling insults. I may ask some edgy questions or touch a nerve, but I'm usually interested in gathering info, not winning a war.

For the record:

I have given Atlanta credit for its amazing growth, its jobs/economic market, its collegiate education system, its rich African American history and diversity being greater than MN's, the aquarium being better than ours, and so on. I've given plenty of credit to Atlanta and Georgia.

I said the 2 million in population growth had LESS TO DO with education and more to do with empty-nesters and young urban professionals -- a sunblet phenomenon that MN doesn't experience. I never EVER said NOBODY ever moved to Atlanta for education. I don't speak in absolutes for this exact reason.

Rcsteiner said MN schools are better, but that there were a handful of GA schools that could compete with MN. I didn't know that, but that wasn't even my point, my point was that Georgia is NOT reknown for its schools, while MN is.

You work for the airline industry and you can't even admit that the government approved the merger in October, 2008 and some employees already began the move to Georgia consequently. It seems like many more likely came in 2009 and 2010, but I said that the merger had SOME relevance in the MN to GA phenomenon. Then I asked you what you thought it was and you haven't answered, only whined.

Every time you get embarrassed you LOL or ROFLMAO or some other "Twitter Talk" language than teenagers use.
Ive had it with you!You whine more than any poster I have ever encountered.:cryin g:You accuse everybody that calls your silly responses out as no more than "twisting your words".Twisting your words on a WRITTEN forum for ALL to see!!

You have used personal attacks by insulting ones intelligence,upbringing and truthfulness.

You dont even realize how many times since this post began YOU yourself have stated:" I did not know,or was not aware," after you or others have thrown outlandish OUTDATED UNTRUE stereotypes about the South.YOU who have NEVER even been To Atlanta or Georgia!!HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

Fact is if people want great schools.They are NOT moving to MN because of it.They would rather move to MA,NJ,or Vermont etc...if that was the case.

If you want another reason people relocate to GA from MN?Higher education as one of the top 5 education centers in the U.S.,military bases like Ft.Benning,Ft.Gordon,Robins AFB,Dobbins AFB,Moody AFB,Kings Bay Subic,Ft Macpherson,etc....Cost of living,All the Nonprofits headquartered here like CARE International,Habitat for Hummanity,American Cancer Society,etc..Then other things like the CDC.The list goes on and on.

And for the record stop the cheap shot remarks.You dont have to agree but the arrogance, insulting ,self righteous attitude should gO!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think schools in the US catch up eventually, which is one of the reasons that so many students come to the US from all over the world to obtain their college degrees. We just take longer to get there.

I'm not convinced that France is better than the US if you consider all levels of education available in both countries. Are you?

I guess the same could be said about Georgia, too. Eh? After all, Georgia Tech is a nice trophy on the mantelpiece from a GA perspective.

Too bad so many GA kids have to wallow through crap to get there, tho, HOPE scholarship and all...
You're right!I dont actually, but many do.(Not necessarily France).ANd Georgia Tech is not the only school that is ranked highly in Georgia.Rankings are subjective.I dont actually see the relevance more so than the results that the schools provide.

I dont think I was lucky.I applied to many different schools from the South and Northeast.I got accepted to them all.I had parents and a sister that all went to HBCU's but went to Georgetown,UGA for grad school.My mom grew up dirt poor n rural south Georgia picking cotton with her other 11siblings.ALL went to terrible segregated schools that had dedicated teachers.They 8 out of 12 went to college.Most went to HBCU's and some went on to UPENN,Penn State,Temple,Rutgers,and UNC for grad and undergrad.All have had relatively successful careers.
So the school really does not matter.Its the drive in the students and the support system.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Um...HELL NO!!Earth Wind,and Fire ring a bell?Kool and the Gang?The Commodores(Linoel Richie)?S.O.S.?LTD?The Ohio Players?Sly and the Family STone?The Doobie Brothers?:smack :
You have LOST your mind!!
Their good but....NOOOOOOOOOO!!
:h amd:
I'm not talking about the old, classic R&B. Come on, give me more credit than that, LOL. I'm talking about the new school R&B, where live bands are pretty much a lost art. Even then, I consider older R&B almost be a distinct genre from the new stuff, which is more like pop actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City