Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
UTHORNS96, is Austin cool with you? Because if it is, I dont see how 7.8% black (60,000+) Austin is enough black culture with enough sistas for you, but the Twins cities, Minneapolis 18% black (64,000+)/St. Paul 12.7% black (34,000+) arent.

I think that's enough where you wont feel isolated, especially compared to Austin.
I was waiting for somebody to bring that up, trust me, it's something I think about all the time. I'm actually notorious for bringing that fact up about Austin. Why, there's a thread on the general forum I believe, that talks about what demographic do you add to your city, I said the same thing about Austin there. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Austin, but black cultural experience are sparse here compared to other places in the state like Houston or Dallas. Though, I do feel like Austin's close proximity to large black populations like Houston and Dallas help a bit, while MN St Paul is a bit more isolated, but the fact I live in Austin is the main reason why I think so much of these things. I used to not mind it as much, but the past couple of years it's really struck me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Oh yeah Clayton, The Ghetto Suburbs . Do they have those in Minnesota? Sorry to those that live in the nice area's of Clayton County.
Absolutely no Ghetto suburbs in Minnesota...

The 'worst' ones probably are Brookyln Center, Maplewood, Robbinsdale, Columbia Heights. And even those aren't even anything to worry about.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Brooklyn Center is really the only one that comes to mind, but I'm from the southern 'burbs, I shouldn't complain.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
How is it negative? Many people enjoy hot weather and hate cold, so ATL is perfect for them. I'm talking average temperatures, not anomalies like today. On AVERAGE, Atlanta is warmer during the summer. I'm not lying at all.
at the end of the day, atlanta's weather is FAR milder than minneapolis/st. paul. winters are fair, and that goes without saying; but even though summers in atlanta are considerably humid, they're still shorter with generally lower temps than many other places in the south.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I was waiting for somebody to bring that up, trust me, it's something I think about all the time. I'm actually notorious for bringing that fact up about Austin. Why, there's a thread on the general forum I believe, that talks about what demographic do you add to your city, I said the same thing about Austin there. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Austin, but black cultural experience are sparse here compared to other places in the state like Houston or Dallas. Though, I do feel like Austin's close proximity to large black populations like Houston and Dallas help a bit, while MN St Paul is a bit more isolated, but the fact I live in Austin is the main reason why I think so much of these things. I used to not mind it as much, but the past couple of years it's really struck me.
don't forget austin's black ex-urb KILLEEN lol. yeah, that's about as black as the austin area gets

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I wasn't saying it was a bad place to live, but a sad story for the area/schools. And yeah, there are some 'ghetto-ish' suburbs in the Twin Cities.
Name one.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Name one.
Lakeville? Two miles south and you're in farm country ghetto

Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Brooklyn Park usually sees a few homicides a year, as does Brooklyn Center. They're no Maywood or Harvey, IL, but there's definitely a little crime. St. Paul is really where much of the "spillover" goes to, which sees roughly half the number of violent crimes as Minneapolis does.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
There are likely anywhere from 15-25 homicides in the suburbs so far this year, but I can't back that up with any stats and don't know where they'd be.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Robbinsdale, Richfield and the east side of Bloomington are all pretty sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City