Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Flywriter, I have to say you can't possibly be right about MN hip-hop or its musical influence in this country in general. I mean, we have some decent talent and history, but I have to say Georgia is like top 5 in the country, and MN is middle of the pack. I'm not a music buff so I can consider myself unbiased. I just don't want Atlanta or Georgia posters to think everyone in MN is naive and believes we have this unreal music scene here -- we don't -- but it's not too bad I guess, like Flywriter enthusiastically point out!
I understand that GA > MN in music. That's obvious.

But to sit there and say that "Indie Rap is everywhere man" and that "Bob Dylan and Prince might be cool in the Twin Cities, but they're nothing outside of there" is just ridiculous.

And I agree, we certainly don't have some great music scene, but MPLS does have it's fair share of local bands and it's quite easy to grab a few beers and catch a decent show any night of the week.

and I agree, while it's not bad here, it's not great, but MPLS still packs quite a punch for having less than 400,000 people there.

And I'll also agree to GA being top 5 in Music in the USA.

Minnesota? probably 15th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yup, all over. Atlanta is in a mixed deciduous and conifer forest.
Yep.

I'd say metro Atlanta is about 60-65% broadleaf deciduous and 35-40% needleleaf (pine) evergreen.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
If you people knew anything about music, production, engineering, mixing and recording you'd understand that Southern Hip Hop, more notably 'Hotlanta' Hip Hop is some of the easiest, most simplistic music around. Easy beat production, slow, 1...2...3...4 rap, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, bridge (with some Autotune mixed in) and then the song ending in "YAAAAHHHHH ATL BOOOIEEE"

I'll make a fruity loops song when I get home and upload it on here and you'll probably think that it was done by Young Jeezy
You repeat those lyrics 17 times and you have yourself a top 20 single! I can't listen to the radio anymore.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
^That's why I don't like rap anymore....there's no substance to it at all! It's literally stupid....but I like the beat!!
That's why southern hip-hop is so popular, the beats are fun to listen to, albeit they are basic. The Chopped and screwed stuff is fun once and awhile too...

From a TI song: "We all know dem southern boys love dat bass"

Last edited by knke0204; 09-02-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Apparently I dont know how to Quote, lol

Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
You repeat those lyrics 17 times and you have yourself a top 20 single! I can't listen to the radio anymore.
To me radio is a guilty pleasure, it's just so rehash that I can't stand it's repetitveness.

Is Usher from Atlanta?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
You mean Urrrsher?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Again, EVERY city has underground hip-hop. It's been around since day one in early 70s. Both links you provided did nothing to show that Minneapolis is some how special in this regard. There are a few good underground groups there (like Atmosphere) but it doesn't close to comparing to the underground scenes in NYC, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Houston, San Francisco, hell even Toronto let alone their commercial scenes. That's just reality.
I can tell you just by looking at the list of the 47 cities that are larger than Minneapolis (2000 Census), maybe 10 have a better hip-hop scene. So thanks for throwing MPLS. in the group you listed.

Quote:
Compared to Denver, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Seattle, Pittsburgh and San Diego (you know, cities that are actually comprable) MPLS has a great Indie hip Hop scene.

That's just reality bro. Don't get salty because your town has Young Jeezey and my town has Prince
I agree. I've lived in Denver and Charlotte and their hip-hop scenes are lame. Heck, their music scenes in general are pretty pathetic.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
1) Undergound is a dead term, it's 'Indie' Hip-Hop.
I still prefer the term Underground because it is more relevant to the fact that these groups outside the mainstream. Indie to me means that you are producing music independent of record labels. Most hip-hop artist underground or mainstream do that already. But really, this is just a semantical debate.

Quote:
2) Let's keep comparing cities like Chicago (3,000,000), Philadelphia (1,200,000), San Fran (800,000), NYC (8,000,000), LA (4,000,000), Toronto (2,000,000), Houston (3,000,000) to a city like Minneapolis (390,000)
Oh it's very relevant point, especially considering Atlanta (550,000) hip-hop scene has been bigger and more profitable over the last 10-15 years than all of those cities except New York.

Quote:
"there are a few good underground groups there"

Brother Ali
I self Devine
Eyedea and Abilities
P.O.S
and Doomtree
Heiruspecs
and Atmosphere are all nationally touring acts and are all considered heavyweights in this 'underground' rap.

For a city with 390,000 in the Midwest, the 'Indie Hip Hop' is very impressive.

Compared to Denver, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Seattle, Pittsburgh and San Diego (you know, cities that are actually comprable) MPLS has a great Indie hip Hop scene.

That's just reality bro. Don't get salty because your town has Young Jeezey and my town has Prince
No saltiness here. Minneapolis is impressive, but the way it was originally brought up in this thread was that it was on par or surpassed with bigger and more influential indie/underground scenes in other cities including Atlanta. You are right that it is on par with the cities you listed above which isn't a bad thing at all.

And Young Jeezy? Why are you going to bring out a second stringer like that from Atlanta's hip-hop scene to compare to Prince. Andre 3000 is a much better comparison and in my view is shaping up to be just as influential to the hip-hop world as Prince was to the pop world.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

YouTube - Ghost Town DJ's - My Boo

YouTube - Keri Hilson - Knock You Down ft. Kanye West, Ne-Yo

Okay lost track Already did T.I. and Travis Tritt so I threw in some Goodie Mobb, ghost town and Keri Hilson. Prince more talent than James Brown, Ray Charles, Little Richard (princes is his protege if you ask me), Ottis Redding, Gladys Knight combined (whatchu smokin up there?) Prince is bad but if you leave Minnesota you might discover he's not God. Besides I was commenting on just the shear volume of Grammy winners, and Gold and Platinum Album earners. No matter what you're opinion on what is good or bad music you have no choice but to give Georgia props on producing a huge output in these categories. I forgot about Detroit (Mo-Town big ups) But I still say strongly NO WHERE ElSE outside NY, CALI can compete.

Don't forget Zac Brown Band

YouTube - Zac Brown Band - Chicken Fried (Full Version Video)

YouTube - Highway 20 Ride

Jason Aldean

YouTube - Jason Aldean - She's Country with Lyrics

Billy Currington

YouTube - Billy Currington - People Are Crazy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1no7Or9BeI&ob=av2n

Third Day

YouTube - Third Day - Cry Out To Jesus

Casting Crowns

YouTube - Casting Crowns - Who Am I

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 09-02-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
To me radio is a guilty pleasure, it's just so rehash that I can't stand it's repetitveness.

Is Usher from Atlanta?
Someone correct me, but I think he's from Columbus originally, but he's lived here for years. I'm too lazy to look it up right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City