Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Two very cool skylines from GA and MN
Is that first one Atlanta?Never seen that view before.Looks really small too from that angle.Nah that can't be Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
"Tacky flashy" is definitely how I'd describe it, too. I prefer the modesty of the Cities, rather than the in your face bling.
You mean like these pics were taken last month in MN?No.NOT "tacky flashy" at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Minnesota vs. Georgia-mn-car-blue.jpg   Minnesota vs. Georgia-yellow-hershey-car-mn.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Is that first one Atlanta?Never seen that view before.Looks really small too from that angle.Nah that can't be Atlanta.
It looks like Buckhead but it's taken from an odd angle that keeps you from seeing most of it's buildings.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:09 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
They are compared to Minnesota. Have you ever been to Lake Forest or Winnetka? Flashy doesn't even begin to describe it.

Still, I see what you mean. Chicago and SF are more "reserved flashy," while Atlanta is "tacky flashy." It's old money vs. new money.
Atlanta doesn't have old money? LOL I beg to differ; case in point:

Atlanta History Center - Located on 33 acres of history in Buckhead, Atlanta

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Rap is rarely played on 104.1, and I can't remember hearing it on that station. This station is mainly oldies R&B. This is the station I listen to. It plays the oldies R&B that I like.
Minneapolis natives whose songs get played on 104.1: Prince. Actually, I think
Morris Day's "Gigolo's Get Lonely Too" might have been played on this station too, and Morris Day is also an Mpls native.
Atlanta natives whose songs get played on 104.1: Gladys Knight and the Pipps, Mother's Finest, and SOS Band.
I was doubtful of it, that is why I said, "not really hip hop". I've flipped through the stations in the morning, and perhaps I heard a hip hop song in my flips on the nationally syndicated radio show that they air, whatever its name. Like I said, I don't listen to it. The only other morning syndicated programs that I know of are the Elvis Durant (sp.)? show on 105.7, and the Don Imus Show, once 106.7, but now unsure, perhaps 1340 AM or 920 AM.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Two very cool skylines from GA and MN
That first one is not Atlanta. I know, I know, you found it from google images, but someone, obviously from outside of the U.S., snapped that photo of some other city, believing it to be Atlanta, and people have come across it believing it to be Atlanta. It's not.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It looks like Buckhead but it's taken from an odd angle that keeps you from seeing most of it's buildings.
Look around the base of those buildings. It has the crescendoing effect of smaller building building to higher buildings. Buckhead's skyline doesn't have this effect, though downtown does. Furthermore, look at the density away from the base. That's clearly of some other city, or some type of photoshop. One tower looks like Buckhead, but that's about it. If it were to be any airport of Atlanta, it'd have to be Peachtree-Dekalb, but even then, the angle is a bit off.

I highly doubt that this is of Atlanta. I've seen enough pictures of Atlanta over the years to spot it, whether downtown, midtown, or Buckhead to spot it. This one is not Atlanta, in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Look around the base of those buildings. It has the crescendoing effect of smaller building building to higher buildings. Buckhead's skyline doesn't have this effect, though downtown does. Furthermore, look at the density away from the base. That's clearly of some other city, or some type of photoshop. One tower looks like Buckhead, but that's about it. If it were to be any airport of Atlanta, it'd have to be Peachtree-Dekalb, but even then, the angle is a bit off.

I highly doubt that this is of Atlanta. I've seen enough pictures of Atlanta over the years to spot it, whether downtown, midtown, or Buckhead to spot it. This one is not Atlanta, in my opinion.
Yeah I see what you mean.

On that subject. How many skylines does the Minn-St Paul Metro have? I know there's Minneapolis and St Paul. Atlanta has Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, and I would also count Cobb Galleria.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You mean like these pics were taken last month in MN?No.NOT "tacky flashy" at all.
By comparison. How many of those ridiculous cars did you see in MN vs. ATL?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yeah I see what you mean.

On that subject. How many skylines does the Minn-St Paul Metro have? I know there's Minneapolis and St Paul. Atlanta has Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, and I would also count Cobb Galleria.
Guess it all depends on your definition of 'skyline.' I wouldn't say the Galleria is a skyline, just a set of above average buildings inside an office park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City