Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yes, I'm sure it does.

However, that's the same argument folks on the MN side make regarding other statistics which tend to roughly follow population numbers which are very much in Georgia's favor, at least if all other things are equal.

I saw something while doing this little bit of research which suggested that MN has the nation's 5th largest road network while only being the 14th largest state, though, so MN does have a propensity for creating infrastructure.

Also, there are some very large states out there that have very small railroad infrastructures, so I'm sure there are many factors involved.

The Georgia and Minnesota comparison seems to be an interesting comparison in many respects. I'm just addressing the general claim that was made by a previous poster that Georgia somehow "wins" in all categories for some reason.
Well I agree winning is subjective.Bottom line is that its still the U.S.We all speak the same languauge.We just do it with a different flair(well in MN case Rick Flair)

I try not to use numbers that are skewed by the varying degree of how many people if its cannot be accurate for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
WRONG!!But here are some good reasons put to words and music about this beautiful state:

Are you saying Georgia is not growing?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Yup. The State of Georgia has inspired so many great people to sing and write so many great things about it. I don't recall hearing anyone famous singing about how beautiful or wonderful Minnesota is. Maybe Bob Dylan did? Help me out here.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I think this thread is about to be shut down very soon.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yup. The State of Georgia has inspired so many great people to sing and write so many great things about it. I don't recall hearing anyone famous singing about how beautiful or wonderful Minnesota is. Maybe Bob Dylan did? Help me out here.
Bob Dylan's "Highway 61"

YouTube - Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan Cover

Old 09-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
So is this how you rank a state -- by how many songs are written about it? Alabama must be a pretty sweet state then -- maybe better than GA!!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying through all this is despite what the polls say to me Georgia seems the logical choice. Why? Because going by the OP's criteria Georgia has everything Minnesota has (except a whole lota lakes and digit (fingers,toes that is) killing cold weather) plus a lot more.

Natural Scenery: Minnesota scores with lakes but other than that Georgia has all that Minnesota has plus bigger Mountains, the Ocean, beautiful interesting Swamps. And all in a smaller more compact area.

Culture: Georgia has more history which equals more culture, Way more diversity which in my book equals more culture. We already established Georgia's musical scene historically and present day blows Minnesota out the water. Georgia has CNN, TBS, TNT, TMC, The Cartoon Network, The Weather Channel. Minnesota has nothing like any of that.

Education: Georgia has higher ranked Universities. Georgia's low SATs and high drop rate out only proves we have too many knuckle heads that don't take advantage of the education we have available here (a bad thing yes). I attended a pretty typical Georgia High School and scored in the 80 percentile on the SAT (top 20%) I had a classmate that scored perfect on the SAT another was accepted to the Naval Academy (He had to have written recommendation from his State Representative in addition to excellent academics and athletic achievement for this) One 2 years my senior is a judge and one is an Air Force Major (impressive rank for his age). When I attended college in Ohio my English 101 and Economic class's were a cake walk in comparison to the college prep classes I took at this High School. Plus Georgia has the HOPE scholarship so those who do take advantage (like yours truly again) can attend college free of tuition as long as they maintain a B average. Minnesota has nothing like this.

Quote:
So is this how you rank a state -- by how many songs are written about it? Alabama must be a pretty sweet state then -- maybe better than GA!!
And Alabama doesn't come close to Georgia in that category either ^.

Yeah. I'll say it again. Using the OP's criteria, Georgia has everything Minnesota has except a bunch of lakes and Double digit below freezing weather. Plus Georgia has alot more. The only reason someone would vote Minnesota is if they are biased.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-08-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying through all this is despite what the polls say to me Georgia seems the logical choice. Why? Because going by the OP's criteria Georgia has everything Minnesota has (except a whole lota lakes and digit (fingers,toes that is) killing cold weather) plus a lot more.

Natural Scenery: Minnesota scores with lakes but other than that Georgia has all that Minnesota has plus bigger Mountains, the Ocean, beautiful interesting Swamps.

Culture: Georgia has more history which equals more culture, Way more diversity which in my book equals more culture. We already established Georgia's musical scene historically and present day blows Minnesota out the water. Georgia has CNN, TBS, TNT, TMC, The Cartoon Network, The Weather Channel. Minnesota has nothing like any of that.

Education: Georgia has higher ranked Universities. Georgia's low SATs and high drop out only proves we have too many knuckle heads that don't take advantage of the education we have available here (a bad thing yes). I attended a pretty typical Georgia High School and scored in the 80 percentile on the SAT (to 20%) I had a classmate that scored perfect on the SAT another was accepted to the Naval Academy (He had to have written recommendation from his State Representative in addition to excellent academics for this) One 2 years my senior is a judge and one is an Air Force Major. When I attended college in Ohio my English 101 and Economic class's were a cake walk in comparison to the college prep classes I took at this High School. Plus Georgia has the HOPE scholarship so those who do take advantage (like yours truly again) can attend college free of tuition as long as they maintain a B average.

And Alabama doesn't come close to Georgia in that category either ^.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Where in College did you go -- don't say Ohio State?!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM

I'm starting to think Alabama vs. Georgia would be a more fair poll....so much in common! And who knows, maybe GA will actually win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City