Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaaa View Post
If Minnesota doesnt have a real summer then neither does Georgia since the average high between the two states arent that much different.
Saying Minnesota summers and Georgia summers are similar is simply ludicrous !

Minneapolis ( historically ) only averages 13 days per year with temps hitting 90.

The historic average high temps for Minneapolis is-------

June-----80
July-----84
Aug-----81
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared
We both know that the US News polling methodology is heavily biased/flawed.

How U.S. News Calculates the College Rankings - US News and World Report

If you look at the Academic Ranking of World Universities, The University of Minnesota -Twin Cities is ranked 28th in the world where UGA, GT, and Emory aren't even ranked in the top 100.

ARWU 2010

Again, very biased and cannot be taken as fact.

I personally go the U of M, so I have a skewed view of how good or bad my school is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Georgia get more funding for reasearch and has a highier student population. What are you arguing?
Fast Facts About Higher Education in the Atlanta Region

"Again, very biased and cannot be taken as fact." who are your talking about yourself.
I'm just going to skip out the majority of the nonsense you wrote. I think the REAL question is what are YOU arguing? I post links to websites that rank Georgia schools ahead of Minnesota and a link to the contrary. The purpose of these links is to show that school rankings can be very subjective/biased, and that they are measured in many different ways.

What does that have to do with having more students? You can't seem to understand simple facts so you have to spew this crap which has absolutely nothing to do with the previous posts.

YOU have constantly been proven wrong my a majority of posters on this thread, Georgia and Minnesota alike. The people who feel like responding to your completely off-base posts are not stereotyping, but posting facts. Once you get that through that thick southern skull of yours, we'll be at an impasse regarding an actual debate.

I have no problem with any of the other Georgia posters, as a majority of use can see somethings ARE better on the other side. But you! No; even when proven wrong; with the facts right in your face, you cannot concede defeat.

If this is what gets this thread shut down, I'm sorry.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
wow...didnt realize Minnesota doesnt have any cities with even more than 90,000 people after the twin cities.
It's not like GA is full of large cities. Two of GA's largest cities are consolidated with their respective counties.

2009 estimates
MN
Rochester - 103,486

GA
Augusta - Richmond County 194,343
Columbus 190,414
Savannah 134,699
Athens - Clarke County 114,983

Last edited by BlackOut; 09-09-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again the CDC is not a school or a Hospital. It does do research on it own, but it also has the responsibity of coordinating information between schools and Hospitals across the country with the local government and etc, if there’s misinformation between Houston and Boston it would be CDC failure. CDC also monitor the public health and responsible for responding to epidemics and disasters. Last the CDC can funded research for schools itself.
Clarification: The "CDC" I was referring to is Control Data Corporation, once a major player in the computing industry, and the company from which Seymour Cray came (the founder of Cray Research, the supercomputer company, which had its headquarters in the Twin Cities).

Well, technically it all sprang from ERA, also in the Twin Cities, but CDC was the company Seymour worked for immediately before creating his own supercomputer tech and company.

I thought that would be obvious in context, but apparently not. Acronyms do have a habit of being reused.

The computer industry used to be referred to as IBM and the BUNCH (Burroughs, UNIVAC, NCR, CDC, and Honeywell).

I was just doing quick searches in my spare time between projects here, so the quality of any information I was able to find is probably suspect. If I did this for a living, I could spend more than a few minutes on it. My main purpose, besides actual curiosity, was to show that various sites and lists over the past few years seem to be mixed on the Twin Cities and Atlanta when it comes to tech and tech-related jobs, and that both metro areas are very highly ranked. It's a toss-up.

I'll see if I can find more current numbers on ports and shipping volumes. 2004 is a little while ago, but those numbers still surprised me.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 09-09-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
40 degrees? That's shorts weather! Seriously, if it was 40 degrees in January I would be outside on a lawn chair in shorts with a cold beer. You Georgians know nothing of cold. As someone said earlier, your winter is like our late spring.

Even though it may get "cold!" (10 degrees) in Georgia for a day or two, it almost never drops below zero. Considering that the AVERAGE winter low in Mankato, which is in balmy southern Minnesota, is 3 degrees, that's nothing. Atlantans were complaining of a week of 30 degree temps last winter. That's a heatwave in Minnesota, or even states like Michigan or Illinois.
Wow. It's so funny to me how if you mention weather some Mid Westerner is going to brag about how he walks around in shorts and T-shirts in 40 degree weather . I mean it never fails!! . Up North that's a sign of Machoness I guess. But the same guys will wimper like a lost puppie when it hits 80 degrees.

For the record I have stated over and over again that No Georgia does not have the kind of solid Ice in your Kiddie pool for months, Cabin fever inducing cold weather that Minnesota has. For a few strange Northerners this is actually considered a minus and I acknowledged that earlier as well. But for the majority of people out there when they come down to Georgia from where ever up North and they see days where it doesn't get out the 30's and feel that cold howling humid winter wind ( I've had folks from Colorado, Indiana, and Iowa tell me that the humid air in Georgia makes temperatures feel colder than lower temps where they're from) They usually say Damn! Georgia has winter weather too? I thought it was going to be like Florida or something.

I went through the whole Ohio deep freeze for months in '92? when there was so much snow everywhere salt for snow plows ran out through out most of the Mid West. It got down to -11 below zero plus wind chill made it feel much much colder. Not a lot of people were out enjoying the weather those days (it was like a desert outside) When those long winter (and frigid early spring) months were over people couldn't wait to finally flock outside and start doing things and screaming about how nice the weather was now. Winter weather is okay with me but I wouldn't overrate it. You can get too much of anything and I guess that's one reason most of my family from Ohio and Michigan have moved to Texas, Tennessee and Florida now.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-09-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Fail. Beautiful, interesting swamps? You seriously think that GA has better 'Natural Scenery' because of 'swamps'?

Minnesota is a lot more than you can even imagine, take a trip up here and you'll see.

Gorgeous pictures of Minnesota. Never said it doesn't have beautiful natural scenery. What I did say and still stand by is Georgia has almost everything it does when it comes to that plus alot more.

In the photos you pictured beautiful evergreen forest. Georgia is absolutely blanketed in these.

You showed pretty fall foilage. I've pictured the same in Georgia a few times now.

You showed the lake coast. Georgia has the coast of the Atlantic Ocean and although not as many lakes as Minnesota it's not completely devoid of them. It's got some good ones.

You showed some great Islands. Georgia definitely has those.

You showed a waterfall. I already showed one great one in Georgia and could have shown more.

You showed a Moose (okay don't have that but Georgia has plenty of wild life that can't be found in Minnesota)

You showed rocky bluffs and Mountains (or maybe big hills?). Georgia has more of those and larger than Minnesota. I have gorgeous pictures posted earlier to prove this.

Plus Georgia has the Okeefenokee swamp (despite your dismissal of this place it's one of the most visited places in America and an extremly important eco system) Piedmont plains, and like I said the Atlantic Ocean. It's just a more varied landscape. I mean our scenery varies from moss hanging oaks and palm trees in South Georgia to ski cabins and a Bavarian Style village in the North Georgia Mountains. It's hard to beat that.

In a State much smaller in size than Minnesota you can in one day go from riding a boat right up to huge alligators to sitting under a palm tree on a beach to chugging German beers in a village admist Mountains while listening to natives play bavarian music (In October anyway). Or if you like you could go hiking, water rafting, surfing. No disrespect to Minnesota but that's pretty cool you gotta admit.

http://www.suite101.com/content/okto...georgia-a66338

http://www.jekyllislandga.com/

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&r...ed=0CEAQsAQwAw

http://www.theblueridgehighlander.co...ting/index.php

Last edited by Galounger; 09-09-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
It's not like GA is full of large cities. Two of GA's largest cities are consolidated with their respective counties.

2009 estimates
MN
Rochester - 103,486

GA
Augusta - Richmond County 194,343
Columbus 190,414
Savannah 134,699
Athens - Clarke County 114,983
Actually only Athens and Columbus are consolidated with the entire county... There are three cities in Richmond County(Augusta, Hephzibah, Blythe)...

Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Georgia has a southern evergreen forest -- very different from the northern evergreen forests found in Minnesota. I'm sorry, but I find Georgia's pine trees very unappealing. They look nothing like those in Minnesota.

Also, Georgia does not have the Great Plains, lakes, marshlands (not swamps -- there's a difference), rocky shorelines, aurora borealis (northern lights), farmland or brilliant fall foliage (I know there is some foliage, but it doesn't compare to Minnesota's color). Minnesota's landscape is more varied - it's not all frozen cornfields.

If by "Bavarian Style Village" you're referring to Helen, GA, then no. I've been there. It's a tourist trap -- a cheesy, touristy mockup of a German village, but it's nothing like the real thing. Just a Southernized tourist trap.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
If by "Bavarian Style Village" you're referring to Helen, GA, then no. I've been there. It's a tourist trap -- a cheesy, touristy mockup of a German village, but it's nothing like the real thing. Just a Southernized tourist trap.
Helen, GA is what happens when you cross the Wisconsin Dells with the Apple River. Except the Wisconsin Dells has more water stuff.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Helen, GA is what happens when you cross the Wisconsin Dells with the Apple River. Except the Wisconsin Dells has more water stuff.
Eeeew... The Dells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City