Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times

Advertisements

This is why I loved Philly. You just don't get this in Chicago.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v77/80/37/56012834/n56012834_32345624_2619.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
it's b/c you didn't get out into the other neighborhoods surrounding the business district. not into lincoln park/old town/lakeview/wickerpark/bucktown/south loop/west loop/greek town/etc...that is where the activity goes to...
just going up to lakeview which goes all the way up starts once you get 3 miles and goes on to 5 miles north of the loop is only 3.2 square miles and a population over 100k people larger than center city... just an example, all the other neighborhoods named above are similar in activity as well.
philly is more active in the cbd yes, but defining chicago to the areas you defined wouldn't be a fair comparison...its much larger and denser.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
philly is more active in the cbd yes, but defining chicago to the areas you defined wouldn't be a fair comparison...its much larger and denser.
Who was this response intended for? In any event, I wanted the comparison to be between downtowns, however that is defined. I'm not an expert on Chicago, but I don't think Wicker Park is part of downtown Chicago. A discussion of Wicker Park would be more appropriate for an overall Chicago/Philly comparison, no? I understand that most of Chicago's vibrancy is outside of downtown, but I created this thread for the exclusive purpose of comparing downtowns. What is your definition of downtown Chicago? Would you include Wicker Park/Lincoln Park in that definition? My sense is that neighborhoods like Old Town, Greek Town, and the Gold Coast are analogous to Georgetown and Dupont Circle in DC. In other words, they are just on the outer fringes of downtown Chicago. Anyway, I'll leave it up to the Chicago folks to define downtown Chicago.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
But this topic is about who has the 2nd best downtown in the US. That includes far more than just night scene, but also skyline, shopping, parks, location, people, business, cleanliness, vibrancy (day & night) etc. There are somethings Philly does better than Chicago (nightlife scene), but overall Chicago wins. There's so many great things about Chicago's downtown that Philly really lacks. Downtown Chicago IMO, looks way more world class, feels more world class and actually is more world class. I actually think downtown Chicago is more beautiful than Center City (I know I might get some flack for this), but it's true to my eyes. Chicago's so photogenic and breathtaking. Philly's is charming and fun, but not breathtaking.
To each their own. Although I've never been to DT Chicago, based on the many pictures I've seen, there is no contest as to it being much more polished and modern than CC Phillly. I think even the most homer-ish of Philadelphians would admit that.

However, if one is enamored by old-world, colonial-era charm (like me) interspersed with a still fairly modern downtown and immediately proximate to human-scaled neighborhoods; Philly would be considered far more breathtaking.

Again, we all have our preferences.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-30-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM

151 posts, read 300,744 times
I like Chicago, but one thing I dislike is the lack of what I would consider livable neighborhoods.

My favorite neighborhoods in New York City (or even London, Paris) are the tightly packed, stunningly intimate neighborhoods with cobblestone streets and gorgeous rowhomes. There is nothing in Chicago that matches the beauty and ambiance of New York's Downtown neighborhoods like West Village, Tribeca, SoHo, etc. or the Upper West/East. Or even Brownstone Brooklyn.

I would take Chicago over Philadelphia, but Center City has better looking residential neighborhoods. Unfortunate that so many of them are so unkempt dumpy.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who was this response intended for? In any event, I wanted the comparison to be between downtowns, however that is defined. I'm not an expert on Chicago, but I don't think Wicker Park is part of downtown Chicago. A discussion of Wicker Park would be more appropriate for an overall Chicago/Philly comparison, no? I understand that most of Chicago's vibrancy is outside of downtown, but I created this thread for the exclusive purpose of comparing downtowns. What is your definition of downtown Chicago? Would you include Wicker Park/Lincoln Park in that definition? My sense is that neighborhoods like Old Town, Greek Town, and the Gold Coast are analogous to Georgetown and Dupont Circle in DC. In other words, they are just on the outer fringes of downtown Chicago. Anyway, I'll leave it up to the Chicago folks to define downtown Chicago.
There just aren't residential neighborhoods really mixed in to DT Chicago. There used to be mansions etc but it burned down and now its pretty much all business/museums w/ scattered high rise condos but no real side neighborhood feel like you have in Philadelphia which has a much older and organic layout. The best clubs and restaurants are definitely *not* in downtown Chicago.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There just aren't residential neighborhoods really mixed in to DT Chicago. There used to be mansions etc but it burned down and now its pretty much all business/museums w/ scattered high rise condos but no real side neighborhood feel like you have in Philadelphia which has a much older and organic layout. The best clubs and restaurants are definitely *not* in downtown Chicago.
Gold Coast, Old Town and to some extent, Streeterville, would be the closest thing to a residential neighborhood in downtown Chicago.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I define the boundaries of downtown DC roughly as North Capitol Street to the east, N Street to the north, 24th Street to the west, and the SW Freeway to the south.

DC's downtown is not as centrally concentrated? What are you talking about? Adams Morgan, Georgetown and U Street are not downtown. And H Street is not a "new hot spot." Spots like the Martini Lounge, Sticky Rice, and H St Country Club have been open for a while. H Street is not a recent discovery. How long have you been living in the area exactly?

Downtown DC is as bland as you can get. Superblocks with very little retail. When you do get retail, it's a Radio Shack, Potbelly's, Quizno's, Au Bon Pain, Five Guys, or Subway. And that's like every block...from Metro Center to Farragut West. And downtown is completely dead after work and on the weekends (7th Street and K Street at night, excepted). 7th Street is alright, but it's just 3 or 4 blocks with any real development. Basically, it sucks, especially for a city/metro area its size.
You misunderstood my point, Im agreeing that Adams Morgan/Georgetown/and U Street (which are the primary nightlife spots in the DC) are not "Downtown" DC, my point is that what is considered DC's Downtown to most people, is some what limited, and that the nightlife is spread throughout city "Beyond the Boundaries" that are considered "Downtown." I agree with the restaurants example, it doesn't have the authenticity of an NY, Chicago, or Philly when it comes to eateries at least within the "Downtown" boundaries.

The difference in DC though is that the population in Downtown is not "Centralized" like Center City or Manhattan or Chicago inside the loop. I believe the numbers were like 38,000. There is so much more going on in those other neighborhoods mentioned (That are not considered Downtown) and they serve a lot of purpose to those in the immediate areas, the city proper doesn't have that huge down town population like other cites, mostly office buildings. Although DC you still will find activity in that K Street area and 7th street/Chinatown on any given night (which are considered Downtown).

Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You misunderstood my point, Im agreeing that Adams Morgan/Georgetown/and U Street (which are the primary nightlife spots in the DC) are not "Downtown" DC, my point is that what is considered DC's Downtown to most people, is some what limited, and that the nightlife is spread throughout city "Beyond the Boundaries" that are considered "Downtown." I agree with the restaurants example, it doesn't have the authenticity of an NY, Chicago, or Philly when it comes to eateries at least within the "Downtown" boundaries.

The difference in DC though is that the population in Downtown is not "Centralized" like Center City or Manhattan or Chicago inside the loop. I believe the numbers were like 38,000. There is so much more going on in those other neighborhoods mentioned and they serve a lot of purpose to those in the immediate areas, the city proper doesn't have that huge down town population like other cites, mostly office buildings. Although DC you still will find activity in that K Street area and 7th street/Chinatown on any given night (which are considered Downtown).
the population in chicago is not concentrated in the loop... hardly anybody lives in the loop actually.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
I would take Chicago over Philadelphia, but Center City has better looking residential neighborhoods. Unfortunate that so many of them are so unkempt dumpy.
The only part of Center City that is dumpy looking is Market East/Chinatown near the Convention Center. The rest of the Center City residential neighborhoods are immaculate for the most part. Society Hill,Old City,Washington West,Queen Village,Bella Vista,Rittenhouse Square,Fitler Square,Logan square,Spring Garden,Fairmount, Art Museum, University City.

The problem is the neighborhoods that surround Center City/Univ City like .N Philly, SW Philly, Camden etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City