Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Drivability vs Walkability
Very drivable not walkable 2 5.41%
Drivable, somewhat walkable 11 29.73%
Walkable, somewhat drivable 15 40.54%
Very walkable, not drivable 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of talk about walkability and its impact on the disarability of cities. However a lot of places that are walkable usually are more expensive to park, have less parking options, with tolls, etc. and overall are less drivable...

What do you think? Where would you rather live?
Is it better to live in a place that is walkable and has a lot of retail in a 2 or 3 block radius with great transit, but expensive parking. Or is it better to have a place with plenty of parking options, cheap/free parking, but moderate transit and is not as walkable... Or a mix inbetween?

1.) Very drivable not walkable: Free parking and easy access (parking lot); few sidewalks, cul-de-sacs style neighborhood

2.) Drivable, somewhat walkable: Free/cheap parking and easy access; some cul-de sack neighborhoods, some grid and sidewalks moderate transit

3.) Walkable, somewhat drivable: Moderate parking ($2-$5/ hour)/ tolls(.50- $2); grid layout, density, great transit

4.) Very walkable, not drivable: Expensive parking ($5+/ hour)/tolls ($2+); walkers paradise, great transit

Last edited by theATLien; 08-27-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Walkability and desirable is not how I see it exactly, its a great asset in a city, but not the most desirable one among transportation and how to get around.

Everytime I fill up my tank full its $43, but personally for me its worth it to have my car handy. Although I do walk quite a bit in Downtown Austin, its the main way people get around over here (lesser extent is driving) which is completely different than Houston & Dallas for some reason but its convenient also. I still prefer driving though. Both in my opinion beat mass transit.
I voted "Drivable somewhat Walkable".

Drive for the win!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I used to live in an area that's like a combination of 2 & 3. It wasn't too walkable, and the stores you could walk to (long walk) were nothing to write home about. It was better to have a car than to have no car. And they wondered why the neighboring county got all the business lol. The only decent transit option was the Long Island Railroad. It was a high crime area, who wants to be prepared for anything to happen while on your long trek to and from a store (especially at night)?

Where I currently live a car is recommended too, less walkable than the one above but it's better, I still want to move somewhere even better. The ONLY transit option is the Long Island Railroad.

I choose #2.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I can't drive so my answer for where I'd rather live is obviously "very walkable, not drivable." And of course, the more walkable a place is, the more the drivers tend to respect pedestrians. Where I live is very drivable, not walkable at all. There are no sidewalks, everything has a drive-thru, and most roads are six lanes. There are endless numbers of (empty) parking lots. And drivers completely ignore pedestrians, I'd even go as far as to say they tune us out completely since we're such a rare occurrence here.

Yep, can't wait to get out of here.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
I'd rather be able to walk where ever I want with a great transit system. I'm only 22 and I'm already sick of driving, especially if I'm in Florida. I'd rather just sit back and relax on a train, let it take me where I need to go. Instead of sitting in traffic listening to brainless people honk at eachother all day.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I think you can be both very drivable and very walkable, but to the OPs point his likely leads to difficulties or cost to park. Now i live in an area i would say is both, there is no issue driving or walking, though you have to dump the car. I rent a space for my car, it costs me about 16.50 a day or about $500 bucks a month. So to me less than a dollar an hour to be able to walk around in one of the most vibrant areas of the country is well worth the price.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Walkable. Totally.

I've lived in the suburbs. I've had to climb into a car and drive 3 miles to get a jug of milk. I drove to work. I drove to the mall. I drove to my friends' houses. I drove to class. I drove to the gym (yeah a car was involved in getting my exercise). I hated it. There was always traffic, car maintenance, insurance, parking, stupid people driving around, stupid people who can't parallel park, stupid road designs, a "no turns" sign where I need to turn. I asked myself on several occasions, "why am I living here?" And the frustrations of driving everywhere were a big part of my reason for wanting to get out.

Now I live in a place where I can walk to everything I need. The supermarket is 4 blocks away, and there are bodegas on my block. Restaurants, bars, shops, banks, coffee shops, diners, post office, parks, sailing school, the gym, big box stores like Target and Home Depot, everything I need is right here. And there's a train station a few blocks away, and light rail stations, to take me places I need to go beyond my neighborhood. It's great. If I need milk, I don't have to start a car and drive somewhere. I walk out my door, turn left, and walk 300 feet to the end of the block. I'm back in 3 minutes. I like taking walks in the evening to clear my head and get some fresh air. I can stop and take care of errands along the way. Or I can just walk around for miles and enjoy being outside. Even in the rain or snow, it's nice to be outside. It's also great to be out because you see and meet your neighbors, and you talk to the local shop owners. I feel more connected to the neighborhood here, unlike the 'burbs where it seemed people were afraid of anyone they encountered.

Within a 2-mile (30 minute walk) radius, there are 5 subway stations, countless light rail stations, 4 hospitals, 3 colleges, countless high schools, libraries, every municipal office/service, a state park, half a dozen county parks, dozens of municipal parks in 3 cities, hundreds of restaurants, retail ranging from boutiques to big box to mall, and about 200,000 people. I can get to all those things using my feet, and no insurance payments, parking, traffic, or carbon & particulate emissions involved.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Walkable. Totally.

I've lived in the suburbs. I've had to climb into a car and drive 3 miles to get a jug of milk. I drove to work. I drove to the mall. I drove to my friends' houses. I drove to class. I drove to the gym (yeah a car was involved in getting my exercise). I hated it. There was always traffic, car maintenance, insurance, parking, stupid people driving around, stupid people who can't parallel park, stupid road designs, a "no turns" sign where I need to turn. I asked myself on several occasions, "why am I living here?" And the frustrations of driving everywhere were a big part of my reason for wanting to get out.

Now I live in a place where I can walk to everything I need. The supermarket is 4 blocks away, and there are bodegas on my block. Restaurants, bars, shops, banks, coffee shops, diners, post office, parks, sailing school, the gym, big box stores like Target and Home Depot, everything I need is right here. And there's a train station a few blocks away, and light rail stations, to take me places I need to go beyond my neighborhood. It's great. If I need milk, I don't have to start a car and drive somewhere. I walk out my door, turn left, and walk 300 feet to the end of the block. I'm back in 3 minutes. I like taking walks in the evening to clear my head and get some fresh air. I can stop and take care of errands along the way. Or I can just walk around for miles and enjoy being outside. Even in the rain or snow, it's nice to be outside. It's also great to be out because you see and meet your neighbors, and you talk to the local shop owners. I feel more connected to the neighborhood here, unlike the 'burbs where it seemed people were afraid of anyone they encountered.

Within a 2-mile (30 minute walk) radius, there are 5 subway stations, countless light rail stations, 4 hospitals, 3 colleges, countless high schools, libraries, every municipal office/service, a state park, half a dozen county parks, dozens of municipal parks in 3 cities, hundreds of restaurants, retail ranging from boutiques to big box to mall, and about 200,000 people. I can get to all those things using my feet, and no insurance payments, parking, traffic, or carbon & particulate emissions involved.
I hear you, the connection to the place is so enhanced on foot!

Unfortunately I need my car fo my job, if not I would just do a car share. But I have to drive to all those suburban office parks for work

Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
the OP's post seems to favor drivability...i say that because its worded in a certain way that is loaded IMO. it gives ppl his opinion and tries to sway them.

anyway, walkable cities are better IMHO because of the amount of things to do, i love public transit (great way to see everybody and meet ppl), there are other expenses to driving. its not like you just get in your car and thats it. you pay for maintenance, gas, etc. its a hassle IMO.

there are pros and cons to each, tho, and one can live in an area thats both walkable AND drivable.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I like my space. If that means I have to drive, so be it.

When I lived in Chicago, it was nice being able to walk everywhere, but I lived in the 7th floor of a high rise and I did not like that.

I prefer a situation similar to what I have now. There is a grocery store and several restaurants within walking distance, but I would have to drive to get most places (or take DART). But its worth it because its not so crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City