Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,677 times

Advertisements

I love them both. Atlanta does have better nightlife, restaurants, cultural amenities, etc., but Seattle is no slouch in any of those categories, and it has very comfortable weather and some of the best scenery of any city in the US, so my vote ultimately goes to Seattle.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
ATLANTA PRIDE is a week-long annual lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) festival held in Atlanta, Georgia. Established in 1971, it is one of the oldest pride parades in the United States.[1]. The parade averages an attendance of 300,000-400,000, making it one of 5 largest gay pride parades in the country. (It is also the largest yearly public festival / celebration held in the city of Atlanta period.)

Seattle's first Gay Pride Week was in 1977 Despite the tolerance of Seattle's population towards the LGBT community there have been recorded instances of tolerance history of homophobia related hate crimes, particularly in Capitol Hill and around and in public open spaces such as Volunteer Park. In January 2009 eleven gay bars in Seattle were sent letters threatening ricin attacks.[2]

ALSO: Ditto to what was said earlier about Atlanta's role in the Civil Rights movement and specifically the roles Mayor Ivan Allen and Pulitzer-prize winning Atlanta Constitution Editor Ralph McGill played in making sure the city was the leader in peaceful transformation from segregation to equal accommodations. Atlanta public schools desegregated in 1961 WITHOUT INCIDENT, unlike other cities in the South and across the nation (i.e. Boston, Chicago, and even Los Angeles ...). Also, when MLK was assassinated riots and fires broke out in every major city in the country, but not in Atlanta ... "The City Too Busy to Hate." A lot of people beyond Atlanta don't realize that this racial dynamic is really what propelled the city's business community for years, and ultimately what led to it being awarded the 1996 Olympics.

ONE MORE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ATLANTA AND SEATTLE: Atlanta is one of the most "churched" major cities in the nation -- with not just large numbers of mainline protestant congregations, but also Catholic, Jewish and Hindu -- and is home to several huge "mega-churches" that wield political and economic influence. Seattle, on the other hand, is the least-churched major city in the nation ... which as a GAY CHRISTIAN really gives me the creeps. The fact Seattle is so secular is a downer.

USATODAY.com - 'Amen' to a church-free lifestyle
Well said.I also might add that Seattle has one of the highest suicide rates in the country going back40 years.Tacoma is number one(1).

What is it about "bridges" that compel people to jump to their deaths?
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...le+and+suicide
Quote:
Tacoma residents contend with one of the highest divorce rates in the country as well as one of the highest unemployment rates. It's cloudy in Tacoma much of the time, and the suicide and property crime rates are high. On a brighter note, Tacomans can feel safe from bodily harm thanks to the low violent crime rate
So Atlanta you can get killed easier,but in living in the Seattle area will make you kill yourself!!:
I'll take my chances in Atlanta because you cannot run away from YOURSELF!
AMERICA;YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Last edited by afonega1; 08-30-2010 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89iscalidreaming View Post
We have a thread comparing seattle (hippies) vs atlanta (rednecks).

I will pass on both
So sad for you that you can find nothing better to do than TRY and denounce others for where they CHOOSE to live.Seeing as how I am African American ,I do not even know how having a "redneck" is even possible.

Wherever you are if this is being "neighborly" or "inviting" then it is I that must pass iff everyone there thinks like you.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89iscalidreaming View Post
^ I am from the big city of Atlanter.

We have peaches, coke and a big airport yall.
LOL.Whats the name of your middle school?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 AM

260 posts, read 757,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
ATLANTA PRIDE is a week-long annual lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) festival held in Atlanta, Georgia. Established in 1971, it is one of the oldest pride parades in the United States.[1]. The parade averages an attendance of 300,000-400,000, making it one of 5 largest gay pride parades in the country. (It is also the largest yearly public festival / celebration held in the city of Atlanta period.)

Seattle's first Gay Pride Week was in 1977 Despite the tolerance of Seattle's population towards the LGBT community there have been recorded instances of tolerance history of homophobia related hate crimes, particularly in Capitol Hill and around and in public open spaces such as Volunteer Park. In January 2009 eleven gay bars in Seattle were sent letters threatening ricin attacks.[2]

ALSO: Ditto to what was said earlier about Atlanta's role in the Civil Rights movement and specifically the roles Mayor Ivan Allen and Pulitzer-prize winning Atlanta Constitution Editor Ralph McGill played in making sure the city was the leader in peaceful transformation from segregation to equal accommodations. Atlanta public schools desegregated in 1961 WITHOUT INCIDENT, unlike other cities in the South and across the nation (i.e. Boston, Chicago, and even Los Angeles ...). Also, when MLK was assassinated riots and fires broke out in every major city in the country, but not in Atlanta ... "The City Too Busy to Hate." A lot of people beyond Atlanta don't realize that this racial dynamic is really what propelled the city's business community for years, and ultimately what led to it being awarded the 1996 Olympics.

ONE MORE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ATLANTA AND SEATTLE: Atlanta is one of the most "churched" major cities in the nation -- with not just large numbers of mainline protestant congregations, but also Catholic, Jewish and Hindu -- and is home to several huge "mega-churches" that wield political and economic influence. Seattle, on the other hand, is the least-churched major city in the nation ... which as a GAY CHRISTIAN really gives me the creeps. The fact Seattle is so secular is a downer.

USATODAY.com - 'Amen' to a church-free lifestyle
Great post actually. Seattle is no slouch in gay pride though either.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
Great post actually. Seattle is no slouch in gay pride though either.
You're right - Seattle is no slouch at all when it comes to this.

This will be Atlanta's 40th annual Festival coming up in October. It is a huge deal here, attracting hundreds of thousands each year.
The Atlanta Pride Committee, Inc.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well said.I also might add that Seattle has one of the highest suicide rates in the country going back40 years.Tacoma is number one(1).

What is it about "bridges" that compel people to jump to their deaths?
seattle and suicide - Google Search

So Atlanta you can get killed easier,but in living in the Seattle area will make you kill yourself!!:
I'll take my chances in Atlanta because you cannot run away from YOURSELF!
AMERICA;YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!!
The suicide stat has been debunked many times. Do you have stats that prove your claim?

This may surprise you:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09..._cities/11.htm

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09..._cities/21.htm

What is the city of Atlanta's attitude toward marijuana? I know that Seattle has a law on the books that makes marijuana possession the lowest priority crime for the police and prosecutors.

Last edited by toughguy; 08-31-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
The Seattle suicide rate is bunk. Look it up before you post that crap.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
The Seattle suicide rate is bunk. Look it up before you post that crap.
Dang!!I guess I touched a nerve.Sorry.I did make a mistake and it was honestly not intentional.The article I read says this:
Quote:
1)Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma residents contend with one of the highest divorce rates in the country as well as one of the highest unemployment rates. It's cloudy in Tacoma much of the time, and the suicide and property crime rates are high. On a brighter note, Tacomans can feel safe from bodily harm thanks to the low violent crime rate
City Mayors: Most stressful US cities
So it stated Tacoma as the "most stressful city".High suicides rates are ONE of the issues that gave the dubious distinction.It was an honest oversight at 3 am.
Now last I checked Tacoma and Seatlle are still in the same CSA.If I am wrong then I apologize.I'm not one for building up something that is just not true.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
The rumor that Seattle has the highest suicide rate has beem proliferated by the uninformed for eons. The facts shout otherwise.

And if you suggest to a Seattle resident that Tacoma is the same as Seattle you'd
be wise to duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.