Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city should host a statue?
San Diego 8 14.29%
Los Angeles 11 19.64%
San Francisco 25 44.64%
Seattle 6 10.71%
Other(please specify) 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,128,301 times

Advertisements

The Golden Gate is in San Francisco. It means nothing outside of the SF imo

What does having redwoods have to do with anything. That's like saying we have Death Valley and Hollywood therefore we need nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,128,301 times
I'm going to be straight up honest. Go ahead and report me, but this is the truth and reporting me will just show that it's true.

You Bay Area posters act so smug and stuck up. You all are too blind to see the beauty in any other area that isn't San Francisco. If anyone posts anything that "threatens" your Bay Area status, you all get on some rampage proclaiming how amazing the Bay Area is. Like any other city, the Bay Area has it's share of problems. The bums are out of control pi*sing all over the streets and buildings, the mayor is a nut, parking is horrendous, crime is a pretty big problem as well. Another California city with a statue is not going to take away from San Francisco. SF will still be known for a high col, Alcatraz,Golden Gate, and the large gay community.As already mentioned, another city with a landmark will not take away from your city. So open your eyes and be open to other cities.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,349,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I'm going to be straight up honest. Go ahead and report me, but this is the truth and reporting me will just show that it's true.

You Bay Area posters act so smug and stuck up. You all are too blind to see the beauty in any other area that isn't San Francisco. If anyone posts anything that "threatens" your Bay Area status, you all get on some rampage proclaiming how amazing the Bay Area is. Like any other city, the Bay Area has it's share of problems. The bums are out of control pi*sing all over the streets and buildings, the mayor is a nut, parking is horrendous, crime is a pretty big problem as well. Another California city with a statue is not going to take away from San Francisco. SF will still be known for a high col, Alcatraz,Golden Gate, and the large gay community.As already mentioned, another city with a landmark will not take away from your city. So open your eyes and be open to other cities.
That would be fine if there were actually Bay Area posters participating in here. Are you sure you're not just transferring your OWN stereotypes about San Francisco onto the posters in City Data? For the most part, they aren't like that.

I don't know what your experiences are in real life, but after living there for 3 years, I didn't really get that impression. Sure, we joked around a lot about where we were from with the usual stereotypes (they'd tell me "I bet if I picked up smoking for 30 years, it still wouldn't be as bad as breathing LA air for one day" and I'd come back with "how does it feel to know that no matter what you say, when people think of California they think of my city first?") but for the most part, people are the same everywhere.

How is what you're doing anything better than what a "Bay Area booster" does to Southern California? It's the same s*it, just different smell. As if all of the Bay Area is like San Francisco, and all of the NorCal is exactly like the Bay Area.

You do this in every single thread about SF. Chill out, bro.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
Yes to San Francisco for the location because LA already has the Hollywood sign, but that particular statue doesn't do much for me and it is a cheap copy of a bong I once saw in an Ocean Beach smoke shop. Like the Statue of Liberty (which New York hastilly unwrapped and set-up before the rest of us could play with it), this new one should be a gift from some other country. That way we wouldn't have to pay for it. We should announce a contest to all of the other countries with the winner getting the chance to present their statue to us on Leno or Oprah. Their prize would be a year's worth of free advice from us on how they could do things better.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
If they want to emulate the meaning of the statue of liberty, why not build it where we have the most people immigrating/crossing borders now? The Mexico/US border. I think if they put it out in the Pacific, it's going to go largely unnoticed. Even if it is close to one of the cities in the poll.
agreed. obviously that won't happen, tho, given how the majority of americans (seemingly) feel about mexican immigrants, legal or not.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,757,358 times
lol, you can build a staute of liberty on Alcatrax island. Wouldn't that be ironic

Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dunno, SD has La Jolla, enough said
please, La Jolla isn't even that exclusive. No Mansions, no upscale shopping, its just a over glorrifeid beach town.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,206,360 times
Brad, I've seen no bashing here whatsoever, not even harsh criticism. Sorry if you don't like the outcome of your own poll, but I'm siding with the majority here. We don't need to erect a monument 'to replicate The Statue of Liberty' or 'attract tourists', that's absurd.

If anything of that kind of monument, like The Statue of Liberty, were to be built on the west coast it would definitely be in SF. Why? Well let me get back to it, in conclusion of this tangent. The only possible reason that I think would be appropriate for such a monument is due to gaining equality, and only when we do across the nation. If Prop 8 gets shot down and spurs the rest of the nation via U.S. Constitution then I am all in favor of a monument for equality. And I do believe if that does happen, we owe it to SF, the battle started there, so to speak, and Harvey Milk is owed some credit as well. I'm speaking equality for all, it's about time minorities and women's rights be a part of this as well. That's my reasoning.

Sorry but, SF is way more appropriate than SD or La La Land. Maybe SD can erect something to pay tribute to all those shirtless men playing ball at Balboa Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Yes there should be a similar type statue on the West Coast. However, it shouldn't be a duplicate of the Statue of Liberty, it should be a very large version of the Statue of Justice found at many court houses around the country.

I would build it on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay. Very appropriate I think.

And then we could have Liberty and Justice for All!
Lady Justice (Roman goddess) sounds good to me, though I'd hope for some kind of modern twist. FYI, the Greek goddess equivalent is called DlKE. Yes, I know.

Also, I think it was eek or something like that, posted the pictures of the hand grasping another hand/arm-whatever statue (I use statue because sculptors deem 'statues' to be inferior because it's sans the art.) to be wretched and disgustingly cheesy. Sorry but if anything like that ever gets built, it deserves to get vandalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
That would be fine if there were actually Bay Area posters participating in here. Are you sure you're not just transferring your OWN stereotypes about San Francisco onto the posters in City Data? For the most part, they aren't like that.

I don't know what your experiences are in real life, but after living there for 3 years, I didn't really get that impression. Sure, we joked around a lot about where we were from with the usual stereotypes (they'd tell me "I bet if I picked up smoking for 30 years, it still wouldn't be as bad as breathing LA air for one day" and I'd come back with "how does it feel to know that no matter what you say, when people think of California they think of my city first?") but for the most part, people are the same everywhere.

How is what you're doing anything better than what a "Bay Area booster" does to Southern California? It's the same s*it, just different smell. As if all of the Bay Area is like San Francisco, and all of the NorCal is exactly like the Bay Area.

You do this in every single thread about SF. Chill out, bro.
Agreed. Seems he's projecting his own apprehensions on others. Sorry, bro.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
A gaudy, massive, self-congratulatory statue would be perfect for San Francisco.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM

117 posts, read 329,658 times
I think San Diego should get it because they have nothing to be really known for. Though I think it will look better in San Francisco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City