Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM

166 posts, read 367,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philly has its fair share of non-row home neighborhoods as well.Mostly in the NW and NE parts of the city.
Yeah, I know about those areas of Philly--that's why I said Philly is "almost" an exclusively rowhouse city. But Baltimore city simply has MORE areas & neighborhoods that have single family homes--and styles of single family homes that are rare or non-existant anywhere within the city limits of Philly. And some of these areas are well within the city limits of Baltimore (along the Charles street corridor, off of Garrison and Liberty Heights Avenues on the westside, off of Cold Spring Lane, Walther Ave, and Echodale on the eastside, and so forth. Perhaps some of the Baltimore natives can post images of some of those areas...I don't feel like doing all that.

But when I first came to Baltimore to go to school, I didn't know my way around most of the city. When friends would drive me to certain areas, I would assume that we were out in the suburbs somewhere--but would be told that we were actually still in Baltimore city. Now, although each of these areas have single-family homes, some of them are still "the hood," some are working-class & middle-class, and others are more upscale (particularly in the upper-central core of the city above Johns Hopkins' Homewood Campus).

Last edited by JMT; 06-21-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Yeah, I know about those areas of Philly--that's why I said Philly is "almost" an exclusively rowhouse city. But Baltimore city simply has MORE areas & neighborhoods that have single family homes--and styles of single family homes that are rare or non-existant anywhere within the city limits of Philly. And some of these areas are well within the city limits of Baltimore (along the Charles street corridor, off of Garrison and Liberty Heights Avenues on the westside, off of Cold Spring Lane, Walther Ave, and Echodale on the eastside, and so forth. Perhaps some of the Baltimore natives can post images of some of those areas...I don't feel like doing all that.

But when I first came to Baltimore to go to school, I didn't know my way around most of the city. When friends would drive me to certain areas, I would assume that we were out in the suburbs somewhere--but would be told that we were actually still in Baltimore city. Now, although each of these areas have single-family homes, some of them are still "the hood," some are working-class & middle-class, and others are more upscale (particularly in the upper-central core of the city above Johns Hopkins' Homewood Campus).
There are also areas in the northeast section of Philly that have single family homes. Like if you didnt know it you would think you were in the suburbs.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM

418 posts, read 809,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowuseeme View Post
Philly is a great city even though baltimore is close to dc. Philly is better maybe even better than dc
What does dc have to do with this?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Some of those Philly pics look like they could be in DC. I think each city has distinct and similar housing stock that's some of the best in the country.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
There are also areas in the northeast section of Philly that have single family homes. Like if you didnt know it you would think you were in the suburbs.
the northeast basically is a suburb just contained within the city limits.

as far as the original question, why pick the city? I'd pick the job. Look for a job in both cities and move to whichever one offers you a better job. You like both cities. Take advantage of that flexibity. Although you won't be able to afford the neighborhoods you mentioned i'm sure you could find a neighborhood that suits you. Two great cities.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 PM

418 posts, read 809,111 times
I don't know, I'll have to break down each element when I get home.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Philly and Baltimore are great cities, they should team up and outdo boston and NY.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 AM

336 posts, read 768,187 times
Baltimore

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Baltimore is coming up!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM

191 posts, read 214,863 times
Philly wins this one but Baltimore is anlretty fun city when I was there. Its nightlife is comparable to new Orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City