Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i don't believe he is attempting to start anything at all. I agree with him that Baltimore is generally more charming than Philly overall. The people are more friendly in Baltimore.
Hmmm, I don't know if I agree. I think it's pretty even. I've had enjoyable exchanges in both cities, and I think any differences can be chalked up to Philly being a larger city (which usually changes the pace and over-friendliness of people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Hmmm, I don't know if I agree. I think it's pretty even. I've had enjoyable exchanges in both cities, and I think any differences can be chalked up to Philly being a larger city (which usually changes the pace and over-friendliness of people).
Its only my opinion. I didn't mean to state it as a fact.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
HTown is just looking to start trouble

I like both cities so am fine with someone liking one more than another
How is saying one has more charm looking tos start trouble. I just find Baltimore more charming. Its not like I said Philly is charmless, I (me, myself, htownlove, personally, moi, the spanish word for I, any language word for I) think Baltimore has more charm.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I think it's a tie.

Philly has the better downtown
Baltimore has the better waterfront
Both of their geographical locations are great.
They're both rich in history.
Food in both is great- Philly gets the slight edge.

If I had to break the tie, I'd say I like Maryland more than Pennsylvania- So I give Baltimore the edge (by a hair)

Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
i'll have a crabcake sub for dinner tonight; best of both worlds... seriously what 2 east coast cities look more alike than Baltimore & Philly? Both City Halls even look alike.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Philly has an undeniable culture for soul music though ....how many soul artist are from philly?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork;
Philly has an undeniable culture for soul music though ....how many soul artist are from philly?
Jill Scott and Musiq Soulchild (although he lives here now, but I'll always place him in Philly) for certain. I'm sure there are others, but they "stick out" so to speak.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Philadelphia.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM

166 posts, read 367,235 times
Baltimore is cool, it's where I live. I agree that "in general" the people in Bmore are more laid back than in Philly. A little more friendly.

As far as straight-up city life, Baltimore can't see Philly. It will help Baltimore alot when (and IF) the city improves its public transportation system. MTA is far inferior to SEPTA. That's why you see so many people standing on the street trying to catch "hacks."

On the other hand, it's easier to get around in a car in Baltimore. Both are row-house cities, but (in general) Baltimore's blocks are longer, the streets wider and there are more larger avenues in the city (and less one way streets). Philly seems more congested , tightly built, and has narrower streets. It's as if much of Philly was built with the idea to cram as many blocks in as little space as possible. So driving through most neighborhoods is--drive a block, stop sign, drive another block, stop sign again. You can't really just get in the car and roll.

I love Reading Market and the Italian Market in Philly. Bmore has Lexington Market, but it's nowhere near on the level of Reading Mkt. Plus they need to do something about all the junkies who love to hang out at Lexington--that takes away from the place. Bmore has no equivalent to Philly's Italian Mkt., and no China Town.

Bmore's downtown is much smaller than Philly's, but they do have the Harbor. That kills Philly's waterfront. Penn's Landing in Philly can't compete, so Bmore wins in that category. The Harbor was a cool spot to hang at when I first got here; but once you've been in here for a while the Harbor becomes old real quick. I live close enough to actually walk to the Harbor if I wanted to, but I haven't been down there all summer. I DID hit the National Harbor in PG though, and that's kind of nice. So Bmore has to compete with them now.

In short: I love Philly and--city to city--I would pick it out of the two for all-around city life. However, I love the greater Baltimore/Maryland region on a whole. (I'm not fond of Pennsylvania as a state).

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Philadelphia - anyone who's read my posts knows I'm critical of Philly, but they win it here.

Outside of the downtowns...i find both cities comparable in look feel and personality....so downtowns being the tie breaker its Philadelphia....

Plus Philly has far better mass transit infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City