Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

Texaplex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM

886 posts, read 2,211,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
KC's density is less that 2k ppsm?? KC's is big geographically, but small in population. Kinda like VA beach of the midwest. Baltimore is larger by 700-800k.
Density figures for KC are misleading. The urban core and it's surrounding neighborhoods (Westport, Plaza, Brookside, Hyde Park, Valentine, etc...) are very very dense.

KC Annexed a bunch of land that isn't dense and is developing or they plan to develop... but its still suburban currently, and it throws off the actual density figures.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Quote:
KC's density is less that 2k ppsm?? KC's is big geographically, but small in population. Kinda like VA beach of the midwest. Baltimore is larger by 700-800k.
While not very dense by east coast standards, most of the original city of KCMO (before they annexed and tripled in size) is 4000-8000 psm. Most of urban kcmo is about 5000 people per square mile.

Again, not super dense, but respectable, especially for a city west of St Louis. How can you look at those photos I posted and tell me that KCMO is a city that feels like a 1400 people per square city.

And again, Baltimore certainly does not seem any larger than KC as a city or metropolitan area. They feel about the same size despite their msa populations being 700k different.

Having said that, I think Baltimore's built environment compares much more favorably to StLouis and the StL Metro. But like I said with KC, I think StL is a nicer city with more to do and has nicer suburbs while the region that Baltimore is in is what sets it apart from cities like KC and StL.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,709,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And again, Baltimore certainly does not seem any larger than KC as a city or metropolitan area. They feel about the same size despite their msa populations being 700k different.

Having said that, I think Baltimore's built environment compares much more favorably to StLouis and the StL Metro. But like I said with KC, I think StL is a nicer city with more to do and has nicer suburbs while the region that Baltimore is in is what sets it apart from cities like KC and StL.
I have to disagree with all of these statements. Baltimore certainly feels bigger than Kansas city or St. Louis in my opinion. And it seems there is more to do in the Baltimore area than Either Kansas city or St. Louis imo. Both great cities, but in my opinion, they don't feel larger. Kansas city is a really nice city though. All subjective though

Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I have to disagree with all of these statements. Baltimore certainly feels bigger than Kansas city or St. Louis in my opinion. And it seems there is more to do in the Baltimore area than Either Kansas city or St. Louis imo. Both great cities, but in my opinion, they don't feel larger. Kansas city is a really nice city though. All subjective though
You think Baltimore feels bigger than St Louis? Guess I don't see it. But like you say, it's all subjective.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You think Baltimore feels bigger than St Louis? Guess I don't see it. But like you say, it's all subjective.
when u say bigger, do u mean population or geographically?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
when u say bigger, do u mean population or geographically?
Both. StL just feels larger to me. The central city feels larger and it feels like StL has more suburbs that are more densely packed around the city. StL also sprawls much further out well outside StL County. You can be 40-50 miles from Downtown StL an still be in built up suburbs but at the same time, the city inside the 270 beltway is as dense as Baltimore. Downtown StL is much bigger than most people think. It's at least the size of Downtown Baltimore. But when you add in the midtown and central west end and clayton areas of StL, I don't think there is much comparison. Baltimore simply doesn't feel like a metro area of 2.5-3 million people. It feels more like a city of 2 million or under with a dense residential urban core. That's why I compare how large the city "feels" to more of a KC. I actually think KC also has more commercial areas (Downtown, Crown Center, Plaza etc). I also think KC has more general attractions. The footprint of metro KC with its big freeways and sprawling corporate suburbs also make it seem larger than Baltimore, but KC can't touch the residential densities of the built up part of Baltimore city or possibly even county.

I guess my point is that I have been to every major city many times over and Baltimore doesn't seem as large the population would imply. I think one reason for that is it actually shares a lot of its suburbs with DC and the area around Baltimore is sort of fragmented with a lot of undeveloped areas between suburbs etc. The downtown area has a skyline that doesn't seem to change much and is rather small for a metro of 2.7 million people, much smaller than StL and StL is constantly hounded for having such a small skyline. Plus, Baltimore doesn't have any large secondary skylines that I know of like StL (or even KC) does.

None of this is a bad thing, just an observation.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-03-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
They are nothing at all alike.

The differences:
- Baltimore is already a large established city, Kansas City is an economic boomtown right now and is growing.
- Baltimore has great mass transit options, Kansas City doesn't have any form of transit rail.
- Culturally they are different.
- One is land trapped, the other has a waterfront.
- One is in the proximity to other major cities, and Kansas City is a bit isolated.
- Among so many other countless differences.

Besides both having only 2 professional sports teams, I can't think of many other or even a few other similarities. Besides the fact they are both cities in which people live in.
LOL, didn't you say a few posts earlier that you didn't know much or anything about Kansas City?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
KC has power and light districe and I'm sure Baltimore has something similar.
Yep, the Inner Harbor.

Interestingly enough, the Power & Light district was developed by a Baltimore-based company.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
kcmo when was the last time you visited baltimore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City