Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,517 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum,

My husband and I have always lived in Texas, and we're interested in leaving our state. But I get a little worried sometimes thinking about leaving as we have a relatively strong economy here, and naturally we want to make good decisions regarding this issue.

The Roanoke, VA area has a lot of qualities we like-- a slower-paced lifestyle, mountains/hills, cooler weather, and an average cost of living. It doesn't seem economically diverse, but maybe it would be a nice place for us to live.

Of course there are the large metros in this state, but we don't like huge cities. If we decide to stay in Texas we've thought about giving Tyler a chance.

People move all the time for various reasons, so would it necessarily be a bad idea to move to a state that appears to be doing decently economically, though perhaps not as well as where you're coming from?

My husband's a high school English teacher, currently I'm a SAHM. I could be incorrect about the economic health of these 2 places, please correct me if that's the case. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
I'd stay in TX in all honesty.

If you really want to leave, I'm sure there's other cities that could become a possibility.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Definitely stay in Texas. - There are other cities that are faring a whole lot better than Roanoke VA.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM

Yeah, just a daydream...Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM

43 posts, read 123,949 times
Have you thought about moving somewhere around Austin, San antonio, or even a small town in the hill country?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
What about the hill city of Nacogdoches,texas you will love it and population around 40,000 and very roaming as city of 100,000.The city like a city that fell out of colorado and landed in Texas!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Yeah, but you know, that's where everybody goes--and for good reasons, I understand-- all along the I35 corridor, communities and cities from SA to DFW. I guess I just want some adventure and security.

We've thought of El Paso, Tyler, Amarillo, we'll probably choose from one of those. I've lived in DFW and Corpus Christi during my life and have visited many areas along I35 and I10, and we'd prefer living in a small city in one of Texas' remote corners.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
Hello Forum,

My husband and I have always lived in Texas, and we're interested in leaving our state. But I get a little worried sometimes thinking about leaving as we have a relatively strong economy here, and naturally we want to make good decisions regarding this issue.

The Roanoke, VA area has a lot of qualities we like-- a slower-paced lifestyle, mountains/hills, cooler weather, and an average cost of living. It doesn't seem economically diverse, but maybe it would be a nice place for us to live.

Of course there are the large metros in this state, but we don't like huge cities. If we decide to stay in Texas we've thought about giving Tyler a chance.

People move all the time for various reasons, so would it necessarily be a bad idea to move to a state that appears to be doing decently economically, though perhaps not as well as where you're coming from?

My husband's a high school English teacher, currently I'm a SAHM. I could be incorrect about the economic health of these 2 places, please correct me if that's the case. Thanks.
Roanoke is a great place to live. People are friendly and genuine. Crime is low. Cost of living is low. Seasons are not in the extremes, and we get to experience all four seasons. I don't know the job market for education, though. There are a few colleges, like Hollins, Roanoke Coll, and Virginia Western. There are a few high schools both public and private. This has my vote.

Texas is also beautiful but too hot for my taste.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Nacogdoches is fine for a smaller city, but we're Jewish, so having a synagogue close by is important to us.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Indeed, Roanoke is a beautiful place, and I wish we could be more sure if it would be a good move. We're obviously far away, so perhaps the chances of finding a job from Texas would be slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City