Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 16,074 times

Advertisements

Hi i am 28 and just recently broke up with my girlfriend.I am currently living in virginia and looking to maybe move out west somewhere.Even if i have to start by living in a shelter and moving up from there.I need a place where i can get a decent job quickly,get myself enrolled in college,Somewhere with alot of outdoor recreation posibilities as i am an avid outdoorsman,i don't have a whole lot of money to work with to begin.I have a Ged and a semester completed in college.I just need a fresh start and need some stability and peace and happiness in my life.And willing to do whatever it takes to do it.I just want a new lease on life and just have an opportunity to build a rich and rewarding future for myself and in turn contribute back to society.Sincerely thank everyone for there answers and suggestions in advance.Sincerely Logik..

Last edited by 2goldens; 09-06-2009 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
You have to start with a plan first not a dream, stay where you’re at for now and fix your problems before running elsewhere. Life isn’t easy being away from family and friends, everyone needs a support group, so when you have things put together correctly and know exactly what you want to do and how to do it, then you’re plan will workout ~ otherwise it’s just running away from what you have now.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 16,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
You have to start with a plan first not a dream, stay where you’re at for now and fix your problems before running elsewhere. Life isn’t easy being away from family and friends, everyone needs a support group, so when you have things put together correctly and know exactly what you want to do and how to do it, then you’re plan will workout ~ otherwise it’s just running away from what you have now.

That's just it i have nothing left now but myself. but thanks for the advice

Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Getting back into college would be a great step, and even if you don't know what you want to do with the rest of your life, you can get all your general classes out of the way while you decide. Being broke can be a good thing while you go to school. That's the best way to get grants.

You need to do a lot of research though. People are different in different parts of the country, and you'll probably do better if you can surround yourself with people that you're compatible with. On either coast, people live a faster paced life, and in the middle of the country its a lot slower. People in desolate climates tend to be more community oriented and they take care of each other, where people in temperate climates tend to be more self-centered. (I'm waiting for the flamethrowers after those remarks )

These days you also have to ask yourself where you'll be able to find work, and where you can find a decent quality of life for the money you'll make. Wages are low and housing is expensive in the beautiful climates, so you'll have to make a decision there. Are you willing to live with lousy weather to get further ahead financially?

Avoid areas going through a real estate bust, and you should also probably avoid areas heavily into manufacturing (Cleveland, etc.). Look for a diverse economy with a low cost of living. You won't get rich quick in those places, but you also won't have to dig for scraps in the dumpster when you get poor quick.

When you narrow down your searches to a few cities or states, then look at the schools, and especially look at how long it will take before you can get in-state tuition.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 01-18-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
You said nothing about debt. Do you owe any money to anybody? Credit card balances, student loans, car payments, anything?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Ok this may sound strange and off the wall (except for those that know me well)

Why not consider taking a job on a Cruise ship for a year.

This will not only give you a opportunity to travel and see new places, but folks traveling love to talk about where they are from.
It would give you the chance to find out about a lot of different places.

This is probably the one time in your life when you don't have the responsibilities of a house and family to try a new adventure.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,657 times
The best place to start is within yourself. Using common sense and facing reality and making a long range plan to try to accomplish one step at a time.
With perseverence, determination, and hard work you can get where you want to be.
The only reason the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is because it got watered more.
Plant your own grass. Let it take root. And decide how you want to cut a path to your future and then follow that path and don't deviate, or stumble over the weeds that might pop up.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logik0505 View Post
Hi i am 28 and just recently broke up with my girlfriend.I am currently living in virginia and looking to maybe move out west somewhere.Even if i have to start by living in a shelter and moving up from there.I need a place where i can get a decent job quickly,get myself enrolled in college,Somewhere with alot of outdoor recreation posibilities as i am an avid outdoorsman,i don't have a whole lot of money to work with to begin.I have a Ged and a semester completed in college.I just need a fresh start and need some stability and peace and happiness in my life.And willing to do whatever it takes to do it.I just want a new lease on life and just have an opportunity to build a rich and rewarding future for myself and in turn contribute back to society.Sincerely thank everyone for there answers and suggestions in advance.Sincerely Logik..

Ya know,
I think everybody on here would like to tell you to pick up and move to say, Denver and your life and position will improve and be great. But we can't.

Some of us have been in your shoes including myself. Learn from our experiences.

Step back, take a deep breath and rethink. These are things you know:

Jobs are all that plentiful these days.
College takes $$
Traveling takes $$
and there is NO stability in a shelter.

These are facts of life that you can't change.

What you CAN change:

Do more research.
Save enough $$ to be able to live for at LEAST 6 months.
Make sure you have a job before you get to where you're going.
Use this time to take some more courses.
Let yourself heal from this break up.

Read the replies you get carefully. There were even a couple I didn't think of.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,259 times
Logik Dear Please do not do anything as drastic as moving someplace unknown with no family or friends (support system). Opting for a shelter to live in. Well Dear one out in areas of these very cold winters, shelters are bursting at the seams and overflowed badly. I do like Karla with a K's answer...if you are determined to get away. I've heard of folks that have worked cruise ships and they love it.
Are you saying you have no family or friends you can live with until you get on your feet and can afford a place of your own? As stated previously, by taking off to places unknown, without a job, place to live etc...is running away from your problem. It will create bigger and un happier problems. It will not fix what ever problem you left behind, and you will look back someday it'll hang around you like a noose around your neck because it wasn't ever resolved or fixed. You just may look back on it someday and be disappointed in yourself that you dealt with it the way you did. Please think everything through with a clear head and not your broken heart.
What field of work would you like to go to higher education for? You see you have an oppertunity right now to plan for your own future and make the very best for your self...your life. Focusing on classes and working toward a better future will keep your mind very busy and keep you moving and if you aren't sitting around idle your mind will not be allowed to keep you down in the dumps. Turn this into something positive and prosporus for yourself.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
28 years young! ,,,, You may want to visit the military recruiters office and find out if you’d like to learn & earn at the same time. All the branches of the service are looking for good clean-cut individuals. You’ll do your country and yourself a favor at the same time while getting your feet back on the ground and your life in order. Good luck, I wish you well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City