Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Your City Still Have A Large Downtown Department Store?
YES...My city still has at least one downtown department store. 124 77.50%
NO...My city does not have a downtown department store. 31 19.38%
NOT SURE...If my city has a downtown department store. 1 0.63%
Don't Care...If my city has a downtown department store. 4 2.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Hey, we have Macy's too! (what a surprise). One is in downtown Minneapolis, a huge store that was once the flagship store for Dayton's (which had bought Hudson's, which was later bought by Marshall Field's, and after that by Macy's). Downtown St Paul also has a Macy's.
Macy's is by far the largest department store in Minneapolis (I think around 450,000 sf). Downtown also has a Target, Saks Off-5th and Neiman Marcus, which are all large stores of 100,000 - 130,000 sf or so, but of these three probably only Neiman Marcus could be considered a true department store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansascrip View Post
Does Victoria Secret count?
No....

Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
There's a Boston Store in Downtown Milwaukee.
That's interesting.........the Boscov's in Wilkes-Barre used to be called The Boston Store and before that it was.......Fowler, Dick and Walker. The 2 large Department stores in Scranton have been converted to office buildings......I guess for the TV show..... "The Office". PS......nice picture.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Yes.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
We have a 4 story outdoor mall right in the middle of Downtown San Diego called Horton Plaza. Does that count?

Yes....I'd say that mall is large enough to count...I should revise my Scranton comment...it's downtown mall is also large enough to be counted.

Mall at Steamtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
Sam Antonio has Macy's, Dillards and a 4 level mall.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/...218ebedfed.jpg

Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,499,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
If Detroit knocks down one more of its beautiful/historic buildings or neighborhoods I might just set the entire city on fire myself. I understand they're abandoned, but they're beautiful . Why not keep them around until Detroit makes it come back? Detroit could easily be the most beautiful city architecturally in the U.S.
It's really one of the few ways that they don't lose money as fast, which is pretty sad.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Sam Antonio has Macy's, Dillards and a 4 level mall.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/...218ebedfed.jpg
Nice picture....we have Dillards and Macys here too, but in a suburban mall.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,550 times
Philly has a huge Macy's, which used to be Lord & Taylor, and before that something else, and originally it was Wanamaker's Dept Store. Wanamaker's was the original department store to have started the Thanksgiving Day Parade, and of course, it was copied by Macy's in NYC and became famous and now people know it as a Macy's show, but it got it's start in Philly by John Wanamaker.

Wanamaker's also has the world's largest playing organ and there are free recitals every day of the week...that's one of the highlights of any visit to Philly if you like classical music. John Wanamaker bought the organ after it was made for a World's Fair and was going to be dismantled...he took it and made it a centerpiece of his store's grand lobby.

Wanamaker's son, as it turns out, was the guy who funded and established the PGA as well.

Quite a bit of history there...

Philly used to have several other department stores downtown or Center City as it's known, there was another one operating even just a few years ago, but it got shut (Strawbridge & Clothier). There was also Lit Brothers and Gimbel's. All lined up along Market Street, and housed in beautiful buildings. The buildings are still there, but now house some pretty sad stuff like Ross and Dress Barn. ugh.

And the 1970s era downtown revival brought the fugly Gallery at Market East mall...that's a huge disappointment and IMHO should be torn down and replaced by something more pleasant. That mall does have a big K-Mart among its other stores.

And there's a another, smaller but nice mall, in the central financial district, Shops at Liberty, although that one doesn't have a dept store anchor in it since it's quite small mall.

And just last year a Barney's Coop opened up as well.

Center City Philly's glitzy shopping gets done along Walnut Street for the most part...so that could be considered another (outdoor) mall since it's got all sorts of stores that an upscale mall might have.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
Philly has a huge Macy's, which used to be Lord & Taylor, and before that something else, and originally it was Wanamaker's Dept Store. Wanamaker's was the original department store to have started the Thanksgiving Day Parade, and of course, it was copied by Macy's in NYC and became famous and now people know it as a Macy's show, but it got it's start in Philly by John Wanamaker.

Wanamaker's also has the world's largest playing organ and there are free recitals every day of the week...that's one of the highlights of any visit to Philly if you like classical music. John Wanamaker bought the organ after it was made for a World's Fair and was going to be dismantled...he took it and made it a centerpiece of his store's grand lobby.

Wanamaker's son, as it turns out, was the guy who funded and established the PGA as well.

Quite a bit of history there...

Philly used to have several other department stores downtown or Center City as it's known, there was another one operating even just a few years ago, but it got shut (Strawbridge & Clothier). There was also Lit Brothers and Gimbel's. All lined up along Market Street, and housed in beautiful buildings. The buildings are still there, but now house some pretty sad stuff like Ross and Dress Barn. ugh.

And the 1970s era downtown revival brought the fugly Gallery at Market East mall...that's a huge disappointment and IMHO should be torn down and replaced by something more pleasant. That mall does have a big K-Mart among its other stores.

And there's a another, smaller but nice mall, in the central financial district, Shops at Liberty, although that one doesn't have a dept store anchor in it since it's quite small mall.

And just last year a Barney's Coop opened up as well.

Center City Philly's glitzy shopping gets done along Walnut Street for the most part...so that could be considered another (outdoor) mall since it's got all sorts of stores that an upscale mall might have.
Great post....thanx for the information. Scranton had a Gimbels and after reading your post....I now remember the second store was a Wanamakers. Wilkes-Barre's second store was a Pomeroys which I believe is now defunct. Here's a list of current department stores and defunct ones in the United States>>>>>

List of department stores of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of defunct department stores of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting reading all the older store names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City