Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Your City Still Have A Large Downtown Department Store?
YES...My city still has at least one downtown department store. 124 77.50%
NO...My city does not have a downtown department store. 31 19.38%
NOT SURE...If my city has a downtown department store. 1 0.63%
Don't Care...If my city has a downtown department store. 4 2.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Notice most responses said, "We have a Macy's". Yes many big city downtowns do, along with every freaking mall in America. Does it capture the nostalgia, character, and ambiance that downtown department stores once had? I say not really.

Think the store windows during the holidays at Marshalll Fields in Chicago, or the enchanted village at Jordan Marsh in Boston. The classic department store image at Bon Marche in Seattle, or Filenes in Boston. All those quintesential holiday shopping memories have either dissapeared or have dissolved into the homogenious mall store character that is Macy's.

Downtown Crossing in Boston use to be a thriving shopping destination. Ever since Filenes was absorbed by Macy's it has really lost it's appeal. Granted there is Saks, and Lord & Taylor in the Back Bay/Prudential but it just doesn't seem as enchanting as Downtown Crossing once did.
Miami Beach had Burdine's but it (like others) was absorbed by Macy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Milwaukee had a Gimbel's, too. Wonder if it was the same chain.
I think so...it was a very large department store...It was once the largest department store chain in the country and one of the most famous.....with the film...Miracle On 34th Street placing it forever in the public's consciousness..

Gimbels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET TRAILER 1947 .

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM

102 posts, read 118,199 times
Toronto has four large, "traditional" department stores downtown - two of which (the first two I list below) are amongst the largest dept. stores in North American.

-Sears
-The Bay (Queen Street)
-The Bay (Bloor Street)
-Holt Renfrew

There are also two Canadian Tire stores (large general merchandise stores that are arguably "department stores"). One of them just opened about four years ago, and is 100,000 square feet.

There are other large, multi-story stores that sell clothes and in some cases other stuff like electronics. There are three H&M stores (one of which is humungous), and about five Winners stores.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM

That's very interesting....when I was a kid we had an American Auto department store downtown....fairly large and sold a variety of merchandise from auto to electronics to clothes; I thought it was the only store of that type, but apparently not. Thanx for participating.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_FMan View Post
Toronto has four large, "traditional" department stores downtown - two of which (the first two I list below) are amongst the largest dept. stores in North American.

-Sears
-The Bay (Queen Street)
-The Bay (Bloor Street)
-Holt Renfrew

There are also two Canadian Tire stores (large general merchandise stores that are arguably "department stores"). One of them just opened about four years ago, and is 100,000 square feet.

There are other large, multi-story stores that sell clothes and in some cases other stuff like electronics. There are three H&M stores (one of which is humungous), and about five Winners stores.
Yes, Toronto has a VERY healthy Downtown retail core. Holt Renfrew is fantastic (Canada's version of Neiman Marcus), and The Bay on Queen Street is beautiful.

I still don't like the fact that Sears took over Eaton's, but at least they call that massive mall on Younge Street Eaton Centre instead of Sears Centre.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, Toronto has a VERY healthy Downtown retail core. Holt Renfrew is fantastic (Canada's version of Neiman Marcus), and The Bay on Queen Street is beautiful.

I still don't like the fact that Sears took over Eaton's, but at least they call that massive mall on Younge Street Eaton Centre instead of Sears Centre.
Thanx for the additional information...I'm happy that many cities have apparently retained that "old fashioned" downtown department store. .

Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 17,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Notice most responses said, "We have a Macy's". Yes many big city downtowns do, along with every freaking mall in America. Does it capture the nostalgia, character, and ambiance that downtown department stores once had? I say not really.
Cincinnati has a Macy's and a huge Sak's Fifth Avenue.

Does we get extra credit for having Macy's corporate headquarters in downtown Cincinnati?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Seattle has Macy's downtown and there's a very large mall downtown in the largest suburb, Bellevue. I don't do shopping, so I honestly don't know if there's more. I know there's a ton of shops downtown so you could easily do without a department store if it left.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailroberts View Post
Cincinnati has a Macy's and a huge Sak's Fifth Avenue.

Does we get extra credit for having Macy's corporate headquarters in downtown Cincinnati?
Yes.....you get extra credit for the corporate headquarters.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
No, unless Foot Locker qualifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City