Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states will be the top 5 Medical/Health/Biotech hubs in 10 years
Maryland 13 13.40%
Florida 4 4.12%
Colorado 3 3.09%
Texas 31 31.96%
North Carolina 18 18.56%
Washington 7 7.22%
Massachusetts 37 38.14%
California 37 38.14%
Pennsylvania 17 17.53%
New Jersey 19 19.59%
Illinois 6 6.19%
Georgia 11 11.34%
New York 13 13.40%
Michigan 3 3.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Great points Tmac. Also Mass is one of the top Nanotech Centers as well (Five Cities Lead Nanotech Activities in The USA)

If we are factoring in Health/Biotech/Pharma/Nanotech overall, how on earth could Mass be 4 or 5?

2nd highest NIH funding (Cali 1st)
2nd largest Biotech cluster (after California)
2nd largest Nanotechnology cluster
Home to the #1 Medical School in the country (According to US News)
Only State to place Two Hospitals on the honor roll for US News Hospital rankings
Top Pediatric Hospital in the country according to US News again
Only state to place 9 different health plans on best Health Plans in the US News rankings.

I really do not see how Mass isn't number 2 after California or in the running for number 1.
Hasn't CHOP been ranked #1 in peds for like 25 years? (Boston Childrens did rank 1 in 3 categories this year but not as consistent accross all specialties however is an excellent facility, really hard to hard say any of the top Peds hospitals are dramatically better or worse than others as there are so many excellent peds facilities in the US)

I agree MA is a research monster but lacks the concentration of Pharma/Bio managment and decision makers. Excels in research not in corporate decisons for this industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Hasn't CHOP been ranked #1 in peds for like 25 years? (Boston Childrens did rank 1 in 3 categories this year but not as consistent accross all specialties however is an excellent facility, really hard to hard say any of the top Peds hospitals are dramatically better or worse than others as there are so many excellent peds facilities in the US)

I agree MA is a research monster but lacks the concentration of Pharma/Bio managment and decision makers. Excels in research not in corporate decisons for this industry.
U.S. News Best Children's Hospitals 2010-11

Children's Hospital in Boston and CHOP seem to be consistently the Top2 in the nation, so you are probably correct that they are both interchangeable.

Of course Mass cannot match Philly and NJ when it comes to corporate Pharma (not that it doesn't exist here) but if you are looking for the perfect mix of Pharma/Health/Biotech/Research/Treatment (like the OP said) you really can't do much better than Mass and Cali, they both have it all.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I just can't believe how ignorant people are to the fact that Texas is a key player in Medicine/Health sector. TMC was responsible for lots of important inventions within the health field.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
U.S. News Best Children's Hospitals 2010-11

Children's Hospital in Boston and CHOP seem to be consistently the Top2 in the nation, so you are probably correct that they are both interchangeable.

Of course Mass cannot match Philly and NJ when it comes to corporate Pharma (not that it doesn't exist here) but if you are looking for the perfect mix of Pharma/Health/Biotech/Research/Treatment (like the OP said) you really can't do much better than Mass and Cali, they both have it all.

I agree CA and MA excel in research (but not to the level of differentiation that exisits in Pharma/Bio managment HQs that jersey for example does (NJ is no sloutch on research either), though overall would still put MA behind NJ, CA and PA - (maybe NY maybe not) Also it isnt just coprorate Pharma (Coprporate Pharma now owns corporate Bio). Also Genzyme is being acquired by SA (out of Jersey) though believe the genetic organization will stay in Cambridge, think Oncology and Orthopedics (Including Synvisc) will move to Jersey though.

And Honestly i am not by any means trying to diminish the prowess of MA (Esp Boston/Cambridge/Waltham) but to me it does not make up for the Pharma/Bio headquarters deficiency with a it's edge on research.

Overall i would still put NJ as #1 all things considered - if you are purely saying research in the bio space an argument (and strong one) can be made for MA (Boston area) or CA on that specific category. For best Hospitals more of a crap shoot as Boston, LA, NYC, Baltimore, Celeveland, Philly, Chicago, Houston could all make pretty strong arguments in that category and many other great facilities (Like in Minneapolis etc.). probably a good thing to have so many great facilities.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I just can't believe how ignorant people are to the fact that Texas is a key player in Medicine/Health sector. TMC was responsible for lots of important inventions within the health field.
Dude, Texas has the 3rd highest amount of votes? So whats the issue? Are you saying it should be higher than MA and Cali?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Dude, Texas has the 3rd highest amount of votes? So whats the issue? Are you saying it should be higher than MA and Cali?
No; I'm not understanding why are people actually debating whether or not we should be higher the FL, GA and a few other states.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 AM

Just a quick point KidPhilly. The SA deal with Genzyme fell through and doesnt seem like it will be considered anytime soon again.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes it is but not at the level in this category of many other states.

Philly has the 4th or 5th largest oil company in the world, does that make it a center of the oil industry, no.

NJ, PA, CA, NY, MA, NC, MD would all be ahead of TX in this category overall

Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Just a quick point KidPhilly. The SA deal with Genzyme fell through and doesnt seem like it will be considered anytime soon again.

Nah - it is going to happen was at SA yesterday

Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes it is but not at the level in this category of many other states.

Philly has the 4th or 5th largest oil company in the world, does that make it a center of the oil industry, no NJ, PA, CA, NY, MA, NC, MD would all be ahead of TX in this category overall
Weak argument; Philly can't even compare to Texas; let alone Houston in the Oil/energy department. Texas offers MUCH more than TMC. I never said TMC solely places us in the top 5, but it sure does help.

People are speaking on Texas as if we're not the 2nd most popular state in the country and one of the richest places in the world. Yet our healthcare ranks on the level of cities 5x's smaller than us???

That's what I'm not understanding. Texas is easily Top 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City