Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,066,025 times

Advertisements

Ok so the key factors are happiness of me and all the tax friendliness and whatnot. It's an internet startup but I refuse to put it in Palo Alto, I have no love for California.

If you were doing an internet startup and the choices were:
  • Boston
  • NYC
  • Minneapolis
  • Seattle
  • Pittsburgh

Which would you pick? If you know of a particular suburb of one of these that would offer better local politicians and taxes for a business please inform.

Again I consider all of these cities to be great cities or I wouldn't have selected them. Now I'm just looking at:
1. Laws
2. Taxes
3. Office Prices
4. Wages
5. Political Environment
6. Cost of living (I'll have to account for it not only for myself but to pay salaries)
7. Good to excellent education for my employees kids
8. Good to excellent universities to recruit from
9. Anything else relevant to this discussion that I may have missed

I'm not looking at now but probably early 2012 or 2013 and need to start the long planning phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
1. Laws
2. Taxes
3. Office Prices
4. Wages
5. Political Environment
6. Cost of living (I'll have to account for it not only for myself but to pay salaries)
7. Good to excellent education for my employees kids
8. Good to excellent universities to recruit from

Numero Uno: NYC, AT LEAST FOR INTERNET START-Up's . . Warehousing / Drop Shipment(s) / Fulfillment Centers in NJ (Very Nearby & The Cheapest in the Country) Ad Agencies + Web Designing + Marketing Consultants + I.P Lawyers + Legal & other related Advisory firms + Financial / Investment Consultants = Best in the Country . . Best Colleges / Uni(s) to Recruit Students AS employees, 'as this would be an Internet Start up' - So to keep costs low, Until your Business is SUCCESSFUL.

Taxes + Expenses are a Bit more, Compared to other States, BUT "You Get what you Pay For",

The Success Ratio of Entrepreneurs is the HIGHEST in NYC, as Compared to anywhere else,

CAUSE of the Presence of "BASIC Business Infrastructure" (Being in place) =

The Most highly Experienced + Very INNOVATIVE at the same time.

BTW: I am not from NYC, OR Even 'United States', We have a Branch Office in NYC.

I am personally from Hong Kong.

My Company Exports to 90 Countries (Can't Count the Number of Cities, where we have Business Relations) So, out of MY PERSONAL "BUSINESS TRAVEL EXPERIENCE", The Vibe + The Energy + The Can Do ATTITUDE of New Yorkers = Makes it one of the MOST ENTERPRISING Places in the World. Use it as a HUB, To Grow From There to all over US.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 AM

624 posts, read 1,122,738 times
Minneapolis

Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,066,025 times
Care to elaborate MilkDrinker on why you say Minneapolis is the better option?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,721,977 times
New York has the most internet start ups and general IT companies after Cali (Google's second largest office after Mountain View is in NY), so I am guessing its a good place.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,179 times
NYC is super expensive for Taxes and Wages..and the Government in NYC is as corrupt as you can get........People who say NYC are not thinking it all the way through, just the Great NYC Default Answer for everything...

The best would probaly be: Pittsburgh or Minneapolis because of the Lower Cost of living, strong IT markets, not sure about Minneapolis taxes or business climates, but Pittsburgh is very friendly for small businesses.

Pittsburgh's becoming Silicon Valley of the East, seeing as Google (expanded operations tied for the largest Google offices on the East Coast with Boston), Apple, Disney and Microsoft have set up operations there because of the talent put out by the top tier colleges.

Google in Pittsburgh signals tech burst | Marketplace From American Public Media (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/09/07/am-tech-companies-set-up-shop-in-pittsburgh/ - broken link)

Best Places to Launch a Small Business 2009 - Top Large Places - FORTUNE Small Business

Old 11-20-2010, 02:44 PM

6,617 posts, read 16,603,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
NYC is super expensive for Taxes and Wages..and the Government in NYC is as corrupt as you can get........People who say NYC are not thinking it all the way through, just the Great NYC Default Answer for everything...

The best would probaly be: Pittsburgh or Minneapolis because of the Lower Cost of living, strong IT markets, not sure about Minneapolis taxes or business climates, but Pittsburgh is very friendly for small businesses.

Pittsburgh's becoming Silicon Valley of the East, seeing as Google (expanded operations tied for the largest Google offices on the East Coast with Boston), Apple, Disney and Microsoft have set up operations there because of the talent put out by the top tier colleges.

Google in Pittsburgh signals tech burst | Marketplace From American Public Media (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/09/07/am-tech-companies-set-up-shop-in-pittsburgh/ - broken link)

Best Places to Launch a Small Business 2009 - Top Large Places - FORTUNE Small Business
If you listen to the local chamber of commerce, Mpls's business climate and taxes are the pits. Not sure it is true, I suspect the C of C types say this in every American city.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
We are talking about Business taxes, not personal taxes. Business taxes in NYC are pretty low and there is tons of exemptions. By the way, even from your link NYC is top10 of the best places to launch a small business...

Old 11-20-2010, 04:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,179 times
^^^^^^^ Who the hell wants super high personal income taxes like NYC, which is why NYC is at the bottom for wages paid on the business end...Talent is going to be costly premium in Nyc.....while other cities you can retain top talent for very modest incomes to both the employers and employee....

Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^ Who the hell wants super high personal income taxes like NYC, which is why NYC is at the bottom for wages paid on the business end...Talent is going to be costly premium in Nyc.....while other cities you can retain top talent for very modest incomes to both the employers and employee....
But there is also a significantly larger talent pool. There are probably more IT people in New York than there are people in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City