Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times

Advertisements

Southern California baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
So are you saying you prefer New York or Virginia beaches in December when the ocean temp is 45F or LA when it is 60F? It is so cold along the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic coast from November to May [35-55F] that any water contact would be insane. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide
That's funny how you say NY & VA then bring up LA, how about SF since it's at a similar latitude. Would anyone ever swim in the waters around SF?

I'm good with staying out of the Water, anything below 70 isn't comfortable at all so I wouldn't be at LA's beaches in the Winter either. Plus to me an air temp has to be above 80 degrees, especially since beaches are windy.

Look, I love California but other than scenery (some beaches are gorgeous) most beaches aren't really better in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I can go to San Diego's beaches when the water temp is comparable to Long Island/Jersey Shore's (75-80) but as a whole the East Coast is more comfortable to me.

Last edited by N130; 09-18-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
SF is way different weather then SoCal. it's cold, cloudy, and foggy in SF almost all year and the water up there is freezing all year

So, Southern California has the best mild weather imo.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
SF is way different weather then SoCal. it's cold, cloudy, and foggy in SF almost all year and the water up there is freezing all year

I'm well aware, I just don't see why NY to VA beaches would have to be compared with SoCal (other than Summer temps) when they're latitudes are closer to SF. SoCal is like SC/GA's latitude.

Yes SoCal has the best mild weather, I agree, however that doesn't mean it's the best weather. 60's/70's by the coast isn't beach weather to me.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post

But nobody is asking about mild weather, the question is what each individual likes. You keep pushing it like it is the only place worth living (it isn't).

Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
That's funny how you say NY & VA then bring up LA, how about SF since it's at a similar latitude. Would anyone ever swim in the waters around SF?

I'm good with staying out of the Water, anything below 70 isn't comfortable at all so I wouldn't be at LA's beaches in the Winter either. Plus to me an air temp has to be above 80 degrees, especially since beaches are windy.

Look, I love California but other than scenery (some beaches are gorgeous) most beaches aren't really better in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I can go to San Diego's beaches when the water temp is comparable to Long Island/Jersey Shore's (75-80) but as a whole the East Coast is more comfortable to me.
I used the Northeast as an example because an earlier poster wrote that it is more comfortable swimming off New York\ New Jersey than southern California. Actually if one examines the link of ocean temperatures I provided the Atlantic gets cold during winter right down to the Carolina's and Georgia [cooler than the California coast]. Yes, the Pacific ocean off California is generally chilly due to several things: the north Pacific current and the way the wind creates upwelling of cold water to the surface. Also the Pacific ocean near California is very deep with a shallow continental shelf unlike the Atlantic.

In-fact, this summer has been breaking all records for cold ocean and land temps in California; coldest summer on record in most coastal cities and still cooler than normal in September due to ocean temps as much as 10+ degrees below normal. Swimming in the Pacific along the northern California coast takes a little getting used to but places like Santa Cruz still attract many surfers and swimmers because the waves are just too exciting. In Southern California the water is warmer but still on the coolish side for the most part; most summers only reach the low 70's. I prefer the water temps in Florida for absolute comfort but there aren't any waves to speak of so it is a compromised on either coast.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:46 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,568 times
Give me that 86-87d temperature warm bathwater off Houston/Galveston I in the Gulf any day. Lived 4 years in Los Angeles - and it sure was a lot more scenic at the beaches but I hated swimming in the Pacific. ALWAYS cold! The humid summers moisturize the skin. An added bonus: those beautiful Texas honey's always look 10 years younger than what they really are.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Give me that 86-87d temperature warm bathwater off Houston/Galveston I in the Gulf any day. Lived 4 years in Los Angeles - and it sure was a lot more scenic at the beaches but I hated swimming in the Pacific. ALWAYS cold! The humid summers moisturize the skin. An added bonus: those beautiful Texas honey's always look 10 years younger than what they really are.
Yeah but the "honey's" on either coast rarely even go into the water but rather just lay there soaking up the rays. Honestly, I think California women are more attractive because they tend to diet strictly. I think women in Texas tend to eat too much.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah but the "honey's" on either coast rarely even go into the water but rather just lay there soaking up the rays. Honestly, I think California women are more attractive because they tend to diet strictly. I think women in Texas tend to eat too much.
I guess we are both in the right place. You like the twiggy model-types and I like the lil' bit thick babies got back !

I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley like you (Covina vs Pasadena) and liked going to Venice and Newport when I went to the beach in SoCal. What are your favorite beaches for sceneries of all kind. I forgot ... Santa Monica was pretty sweet too.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,232 times
A couple things I think are worth mentioning are that I think it is a misconception that people say Southern CA is always warm and sunny. This is not true especially at night during the winter. It is NOT t-shirt and shorts weather year round. That's the first thing. And secondly, I could tolerate humidity if it lasted for only about three months in a year. Any more than that and I'd probably get tired of it. And even though drier climates like NV and AZ experience hot summers, at night you won't be dripping with sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City