Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM

150 posts, read 557,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Here's is why California is the largest state in America

Well once again…just for the sake of science…what you say is incorrect:

1) The Gulf Coast (and both the Atlantic/Gulf side of Florida) is the biggest area that reports the fewest days with freeze in the USA –California is not even close. The less than 10 days with freeze line – runs through a tiny area of coastal CA (San Diego to the Santa Barbara area – RIGHT NEAR THE COAST). On the Gulf/Atlantic the 10 days or less line runs further inland and all the way east the Florida/GA state line. Now look at the less than 5 day line (found NOWHERE in California)…it runs across the Texas Coast to the Panama City, FL area. Of course, about 70% of Florida is in the less than 5 day line (compared to the sliver along the extreme southern CA coast):

2) The ocean is freezing all year of California (even right now). Winter/summer. Here is a map of winter SST – it CLEARY shows that the Gulf and South Atlantic are warmer that the frigid California waters. I lived in Californian…trying to compare the water temps to the Gulf and East Coast is ridiculous – and you know it. The currents that feed the Gulf and south Atlantic come from the tropics…the currents that feed the CA come from the NORTH POLE:

3) No matter how you slice it…no matter how many ways you try to spin it …what I said in my first post is 100% correct and scientifically provable: Beyond the 3 cold months (Dec/Jan/Feb) when cities like LA/San Diego are with 3 to 5 F warmer than cities on the coast of the Gulf/south Atlantic (cities like Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi, New Orleans, Panama City, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, ALL OF FLORIDA )…the OTHER 9 MONTHS of the year – the Gulf and South Atlantic are warmer (or much warmer) than anywhere along the California coast. This map of annual mean temperatures clearly show that the 65 F annual temp runs along the coast from Texas to South Carolina – it is found NOWHERE in coastal California:

Finally, I too, lived on the West Coast – then like all real beach nomads…I knew I had to head to the Gulf/south Atlantic states to find the real deal. Trust me …the ocean is far warmer on this side… the weather far warmer…for way more months…and there is less fog/gloom… than coastal California. Despite what you might have been hoodwinked into believing by marketing forces in California…there are many areas in the Gulf/Atlantic states with beaches...

Like South Padre Island, TX:

Or Virginia Beach, VA:

Or Daytona Beach, FL:

Or the Outer Banks of North Carolina:

Or Myrtle Beach, South Carolina:

Or Ft. Lauderdale, FL:

Or Miami Beach, FL:

Or the Florida Keys...

...trust me, they have everything a beach nomad needs for the rest of their life on the coast of the Gulf and South Atlantic states.

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM

33 posts, read 82,647 times
Right now it's fall and it feels like winter all over again, because I have a sore throat. Also, the hot,muggy summers here doesn't make it feel like paradise. Whatever season is here, it's never comfortable nor a beautiful sight. It's all too pretentious.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,903,400 times
Love all the beach shots! Looks wonderful in all those places! Good thing they have all that water because the humidity will kill ya! So, if you can LIVE on the beach you are golden, most cannot though. But, it is beautiful, TO ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleures87 View Post
Right now it's fall and it feels like winter all over again, because I have a sore throat. Also, the hot,muggy summers here doesn't make it feel like paradise. Whatever season is here, it's never comfortable nor a beautiful sight. It's all too pretentious.
...and where is "here"?

MI has the four seasons and the water, which is awesome. Personally, I cannot handle all the gray days. It is a personal choice, I suppose. My mom loves the gray days. I need more sun!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,045,740 times
Well, I wish for seasons every year but living in Phoenix I haven't seen them for awhile. lol
Here is my perfect weather list:
Warm short summers, love humidity, saves money on lotion.
crisp fall, changing leaves, morning chill
Winter with some snow, falling right out my windows
Spring, a real one, with little flowers popping up out of the frost.

Enough rain to not increase my water bill if I want a garden.

In Phoenix we have alien seasons, really f ing hot, hot, not so hot, mild. Oh, yes, and 2 days of "wow, it's cold today", "it must be like, 60 degrees". ha ha

Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,903,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well, I wish for seasons every year but living in Phoenix I haven't seen them for awhile. lol
Here is my perfect weather list:
Warm short summers, love humidity, saves money on lotion.
crisp fall, changing leaves, morning chill
Winter with some snow, falling right out my windows
Spring, a real one, with little flowers popping up out of the frost.

Enough rain to not increase my water bill if I want a garden.

In Phoenix we have alien seasons, really f ing hot, hot, not so hot, mild. Oh, yes, and 2 days of "wow, it's cold today", "it must be like, 60 degrees". ha ha
Sounds wonderful. (where is this place?) You should search out that dream, life is just too short not to enjoy where you live.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM

437 posts, read 1,295,377 times
Coastal Deep South Texas(South Padre Island, Port Isabel, Laguna Vista)
the most underrated sub-tropical area of the U.S. IMHO
same weather as south central Florida(Sarasota, Vero Beach) with slightly higher absolute winter minimums
a lot of people don't realize that you can grow coconut palms, royal palms and other tropical vegetation in Deep South Texas from Brownsville towards the coast and barrier islands.
Also the only place in Texas where I've seen the government use true tropicals such as sea grape and natal plum

Of course Hawaii about 600 feet above sea level beats anywhere in the U.S...

Last edited by Zone13; 11-25-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 07:13 PM

74 posts, read 249,230 times
houston's and galveston's temperature is almost identical to san diego in the winter
houston avg temp
dec:65/47
jan:63/45
feb:67/48
san diego's avg temp
dec:65/49
jan65/50
feb:66/52
galveston avg temp
dec:64/52
jan:62/51
feb:63/53

absolute lows
houston:10F
san diego:25F
galveston:15F
Average Monthly Weather for San Diego Lindbergh Field
Warmest US Cities in Winter - Current Results
Quote:
As far as human comfort no other state can compare to California. The fact that S. California winters average from the mid 60-low 70's yet are at the same latitude as northern Texas, Arkansas, Georgia & North Carolina is remarkable for California's warmth. Many times during winter California has the warmest temperatures and not just in the desert yet are close to 1000 miles north of deep south Texas and south Florida. That says something loud and clear and one major reason why California has the largest population. Why don't you chose cities at the same latitude as Los Angeles, Palm Springs, San Diego? Places like Dallas, Little Rock, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. These Southern cities at the same latitude are at least 10 degrees and in many cases close to 20 degrees colder than Los Angeles and other Southern California cities. We don't have lawns that turn brown and trees that lose leaves like all these Southern cities do each winter. Where even citrus trees would die and no flowers grow because nights are too cold in the South right down to the Gulf Coast. LA rarely records maximums below 60F [maybe a few days in the 50's each winter] while these Southern cities as well as Houston, Galveston, New Orleans, Pensocola, Jacksonville are much colder yet much further south than southern California.

There are no U.S. cities at the same latitude as California that have as warm a winter as California. Even San Francisco which is at the same latitude as Washington DC is almost 20 degrees warmer and never experiences frost. Can you name one U.S. city at 37-38N latitude that does not see frost each winter and has a 365 day growing season? Can you name one U.S. that has 365-day growing season? They are San Francisco, LA, San Diego and Miami yet San Fransisco is at least 1500 miles north of south Florida.

The uniqueness of the California climate is moderation with very mild winters and cool summers at least on the immediate coastline. Also there are numerous micro-climates due to mountains and short distances from the ocean so that it can be 75F at the beach but easily 85F downtown LA and 95F in the valleys [all within 10-15 miles of each other]. Where else can you experience that in the nation? Nowhere!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,325,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
houston's and galveston's temperature is almost identical to san diego in the winter
houston avg temp
dec:65/47
jan:63/45
feb:67/48
san diego's avg temp
dec:65/49
jan65/50
feb:66/52
galveston avg temp
dec:64/52
jan:62/51
feb:63/53

absolute lows
houston:10F
san diego:25F
galveston:15F
Average Monthly Weather for San Diego Lindbergh Field
Warmest US Cities in Winter - Current Results
Houston latitude: 29N [same as New Orleans, Jacksonville, Florida]. San Diego latitude: 32N [same as Charleston SC, Dallas]. That's about 400 miles difference in latitude. Yet Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville are cooler than San Diego in winter. And Los Angeles is even further north than these cities yet even warmer during winter. Texas has colder winters and hotter summers then most of California.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,686,146 times
I am sure enjoying the weather now! That stated, I think that while 70-75 degrees is still pleasant at low humidity levels, when it is at that range in December and January I kind of get disappointed. But LA is so far south, that's why we get these temperatures in the middle of winter. It isn't expected to be over 70 until Wednesday. And then its back down to the 60s again.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 PM

437 posts, read 1,295,377 times
Quote:
Houston latitude: 29N [same as New Orleans, Jacksonville, Florida]. San Diego latitude: 32N [same as Charleston SC, Dallas]. That's about 400 miles difference in latitude. Yet Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville are cooler than San Diego in winter. And Los Angeles is even further north than these cities yet even warmer during winter. Texas has colder winters and hotter summers then most of California.
But those hotter summers make up for our cool winters, you can't grow coconut palms in California, but can grow them in deep south Texas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City