Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM

25 posts, read 50,409 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking into Chicago, Austin, Oakland, or potentially even Albuquerque... but are open to other options and I would like some input from others.

A little background...

I currently live in Richmond Virginia. I am a 2008 college graduate with a degree in Mass Communications, focus on Broadcast Journalism. Since completing school I worked briefly for a production company and our local PBS affiliate, then the economy went south, work dried up, and I was forced to take a job at a restaurant, followed by a job in a warehouse. I have worked at this warehouse for the past year.

When I completed school, I also had a child, who is now 2 and a half.

My significant other had a little more success, and works for a major cable provider as a direct sales rep. She does not especially like it, but she makes good money and has a decent amount saved up.

We're hoping that this savings will enable us to move and we are tossing around the options. As parents with some limited savings and similarly limited experience, we need a city where we can afford the rent, but has job opportunities for both of us. As I'd like to work in television, film, or even corporate and event video production, the obvious choices for industry are NY and LA... those are also the most difficult to afford, especially considering child care. I am also open to any job that my degree and experience qualifies me for.

She has the same degree, and is even more open with what she wants to do.

We have considered Austin, TX based on the low unemployment numbers and great music scene, as well as the studio system that they have built. But I hear warnings of overqualified people and underemployment.

My favorite city we've looked at is Chicago, as I grew up there for the very early parts of my life and I think it's a great city. I hear they're building a studio system, to be owned by Cinespace, and I know some people with some connections in that area.

The lady wants to go to San Francisco/Oakland. I think it's out of the price range and am not sure of the work opportunities there, though I am willing to be proven wrong.

Albuquerque seems like it's blowing up for film, but who knows how long that will be sustained and how hard it is to break in there. Also, what else is going on there for employment?

What cities are we overlooking that we should check out? What are opinions on those cities from people who know better than us?

Would love input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Knoxville has HGTV and some smaller video outfits.

There is some movie production out of Wilmington NC.

It you do TV work, couldn't you search for jobs in affordable cities that have the climate and amenities you want?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM

We would prefer a larger city- which is the appeal of Chicago for me. Professional sports, public transportation' and increased salary potential with rents similar in some neighborhoods to what we pay now. The climate wouldn't bother me in any place really, though for the lady she's socal all the way, but can cope.

Over Knoxville or Wilmington I'd say Atlanta, but despite the logical arguments in favor of any SE city, the lady refuses the southeast further inland or further south than where we are.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
I would seriously look at Atlanta if I were you since several cable networks such as CNN, TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network are all hedquartered there.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Try Oakland

Population - 400,000+
Well known for its night scene: tons of diverse restuarants, clubs, bars, concerts, events, weekly festivals, and parades

Randy McNally rated Oakland as having the best weather out of major cities. With 73% sunshine in daylight hours

Rated 3rd best city for women owned business

ONe of the most diverse cities in the United States

A bridge away from San Francisco and Alameda, and city limits away from Emeryville, Berkeley, San LEandro

AS part of the East Bay Regional PArk District, Oakland has more parks per capita than any other city if the U.S

The transportation hub of the Bay: Amtrak Train, B.A.R.T train, AC Transit,shuttles, Ferries, access to 2 bridges, tunnels, and major highways.

Tons of attractions : Oakland Zoo, LAke Temescal and Lake Merritt, Chabot Space and Science Center, Sports: MLB, NBA, NFL, JAck London Square, Children's Fairyland (one of the inspirations to Disneyland), Museums, ANd many, many more

Major corporations are all over Oakland, and of course in the bay
Area. And they happen to be major employers

School Alumni include : Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood, Bill Russell, Gary PAyton, Jason Kidd and a HOST of MANY athletes, entertainers, activist and politicians, musicians, and composers, writers and poets etc..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Oakland_night_skyline_web.jpg/1000px-Oakland_night_skyline_web.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Stephen1110; 09-14-2010 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Needed more info and pictures

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 AM

Can Oakland compete with Chicago in terms of overall affordability and availability of schools/child care in low-rent areas?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks are from Oakland?!?!!??!

I thought Tom Hanks was Canadian!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
I don't know, you should research it. See what you like based on your preference.

Tom and Clint are not from Oakland, however they are alumni of 2 different large highschools in Oakland.

Oakland Technical Highschool, in North Oakland

Oakland Skyline, in the Southern Oakland Hills

Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBarrett View Post
Can Oakland compete with Chicago in terms of overall affordability and availability of schools/child care in low-rent areas?
How much are you looking to pay for rent?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Well we currently spend 1150, which is high for our area. Our range is from way cheaper to maybe a little more if an income of about 30k or more isn't too hard to establish in the area. We will have maybe 15k total with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City