Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times

Advertisements

As of 2000 Census (2008 Estimate in Parens)
American FactFinder

1. NYC 17.8 Million (18.4)
2. LA 11.8 Million (12.2)
3. Chicago 8.3 Million (8.6)
4. Philadelphia 5.1 Million (5.3)
5. Miami 4.9 Million (5.2)
6. DFW 4.1 Million (4.6)
7. Boston 4.0 Million (4.1)
8. DC 3.9 Million (4.2)
9. Detroit 3.9 Million (3.8)
10. Houston 3.8 Million (4.4)
11. Atlanta 3.5 Million (4.2)
12. SF 3.2 Million (3.3)

What will be the top 10 Cities for urban Area and in what order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM

8,515 posts, read 10,029,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
As of 2000 Census (2008 Estimate in Parens)
American FactFinder

1. NYC 17.8 Million (18.4)
2. LA 11.8 Million (12.2)
3. Chicago 8.3 Million (8.6)
4. Philadelphia 5.1 Million (5.3)
5. Miami 4.9 Million (5.2)
6. DFW 4.1 Million (4.6)
7. Boston 4.0 Million (4.1)
8. DC 3.9 Million (4.2)
9. Detroit 3.9 Million (3.8)
10. Houston 3.8 Million (4.4)
11. Atlanta 3.5 Million (4.2)
12. SF 3.2 Million (3.3)

What will be the top 10 Cities for urban Area and in what order?
I think it's funny how you try to create posts and threads in order to make Philly look in the best light possible.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think it's funny how you try to create posts and threads in order to make Philly look in the best light possible.

You are right I should have called it (aka Philadelphia is still ahead of Houston thread, well technically all except NYC, LA, and Chicago) Is UA not a relevant topic for this forum?

No there is much talk of MSA, so why not discuss the more relevant city sizing metric.

BTW what is the last thread I created that is meant to put Philly in the best possible light?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
BTW what is the last thread I created that is meant to put Philly in the best possible light?
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...egst-city.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...opulation.html

and: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ity-sizes.html

I didn't check for any others, just got online for 5 minutes and need to go, in hurry.

Anyways, I really couldn't resist. I didn't post them to start any trouble or anything but to simply answer your question, and I don't really prefer to get into a debate/bicker or anything as to why those threads were created and what they mean and whatnot, so I'll just take your word for it, I really don't have the time to stick around. So I'm just going to say, cool thread Kidphilly (I seriously mean it), and yeah, but you should also put their land boundaries and densities up too. You know for the density addicts and those that like to compare land area, if you can.

EDIT: It's from the year 2000, but the land boundary and density should probably have had nothing in the sort of drastic change. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_urban_areas I guess Los Angeles is the densest among them (then).

Last edited by DANNYY; 09-21-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...egst-city.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...opulation.html

and: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ity-sizes.html

I didn't check for any others, just got online for 5 minutes and need to go, in hurry.

Anyways, I really couldn't resist. I didn't post them to start any trouble or anything but to simply answer your question, and I don't really prefer to get into a debate/bicker or anything as to why those threads were created and what they mean and whatnot, so I'll just take your word for it, I really don't have the time to stick around. So I'm just going to say, cool thread Kidphilly (I seriously mean it), and yeah, but you should also put their land boundaries and densities up too. You know for the density addicts and those that like to compare land area, if you can.

EDIT: It's from the year 2000, but the land boundary and density should probably have had nothing in the sort of drastic change. List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I guess Los Angeles is the densest among them (then).

So how are they posts to put Philly in the best light - I believe them to be relevant ways to compare cities often overlooked by municipality oriented metrics.

One was a month ago and one was three months ago - is that the best you could come with? Are these irrelevant metrics. I agree I am a philly booster but how are these topics pro Philly? Yes Philly ranks higher than MSA but I dont feel MSA tells the whole story so I at time offer other statistics

So is a MSA ranking pro Houston or Dallas?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Personally I wish there was an more accesible metric that profiles population over 7K density (as the Census sets now 1K is very spartan; less than 1K isnt even suburban) - to me that is when a place starts to feel urban

Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:

One was a month ago and one was three months ago - is that the best you could come with?
See messages for this one. Lol.

Quote:
So is a MSA ranking pro Houston or Dallas?
Did I ever say that? Please show me where I even said the names Houston and Dallas? Man just because I have posted for those cities in the past, doesn't mean that they're all I talk about! Lol, believe it or not, but I actually can go a few weeks without saying the name of any of those cities, I only have to say the one when I talk to my mom on the phone about when I come home and stuff.

But yeah, nice thread topic. Philadelphia is 4th, and after that it can probably get a bit tricky.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

But yeah, nice thread topic. Philadelphia is 4th, and after that it can probably get a bit tricky.
Actually Miami could be at #4. there are 3 locations where high density continuous UA is cutoff in the Philly Metro - so the MSA designations even play a role on this metric

Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
Personally I wish there was an more accesible metric that profiles population over 7K density (as the Census sets now 1K is very spartan; less than 1K isnt even suburban) - to me that is when a place starts to feel urban
Isn't the term "urban area" more about land use than population density? There are many large warehouse/industrial/office areas of cities that are considered to be urban because of the buildings and the way it is built up, but the population density often isn't anywhere near 7K. I'm not sure what the exact definition of "urban area" might be, but I would think it has something to do with land use?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
I just think that he can't accept the fact that Dallas and now Houston has passed Philly... Now he is trying to use other ways to make Philly seem bigger in population.. I wish he would give it up..it's becomeing ridiculous. Just except it and move on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City