Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:52 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times

Advertisements

Here are some similarities and differences I could think of

Similarities

Large Latino populations
sprawled out
large cities
I think this is true of both cities that people tend to concerned with their looks

Differences

LA has a large Mexican population Miami has a large Cuban population
LA is bigger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 05:11 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Miami is humid, LA is not
LA has hollywood/the entertainment industry and Miami doesn't(at least not to the same extent).
LA has mountains and Miami doesn't.
LA has a large Asian population and miami doesn't
Miami has a lot of black people/Afro Latinos (almost 1/4th of the city) and LA doesn't(not even 10 percent and most are African American).
LA metro has over 12 million people and Miami doesn't even have half of that.
LA has a lot of universities in the area, a lot that are top notch such as USC and UCLA Miami doesn't to the same extent
40 percent of people in LA speak spanish at home(city proper) in Miami that number is almost 65 percent.
I'm sure there are a multitude of other differences within each cities. Culturally speaking the two cities are pretty dissimilar but I see your point of comparison, there are some major similarities between the two as well.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,977 times
LA has 18 milion.
The inland empire counts.
Sb County is even connected to the street grid.

Last edited by Freddy K; 03-17-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 05:30 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
In terms of metro areas

LA is in a politically progressive state, Miami is in one that is substantially less so.

LA's hispanic and black population are much less diverse than Miami's

LA has a massive population compared to Miami

LA is in general more expensive than Miami

LA has a much more diversified economy than Miami does

LA is generally dry while Miami is generally quite humid

LA has risks of earthquakes, Miami has risks of hurricanes

LA has much cooler beaches and water temperatures, Miami has much warmer beaches and waters

LA sprawls in all directions, Miami is oriented more on a north-south axis

LA has mountains in and around it, Miami is very flat

LA's nightlife dies down pretty early, Miami's goes on for far longer

Both are infilling and becoming denser and more urban at the core, but LA is doing so at a much greater scale

Highrise living is much more common in Miami than in Los Angeles

Old 03-17-2016, 06:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Here are some similarities and differences I could think of

Similarities

Large Latino populations
sprawled out
large cities
I think this is true of both cities that people tend to concerned with their looks

Differences

LA has a large Mexican population Miami has a large Cuban population
LA is bigger

I find Cuban girls in Miami more sexy looking than Mexican in LA. I don't know why but a lot of Cuban girls in Miami dress very sexy like they are trying to pick you up.

Well Mexicans in LA dress more modest and sexy seems to be more a taboo or culture taboo.

But it easier to pick up girls in LA and the dating scene is better in LA than Miami.

Miami more a laid back and more Caribbean culture.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:16 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times
Other thing is people with tattoos are more popular in LA than Miami. If you spend time in Miami than go to LA you in for a culture shock of seeing so many people with tattoos.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:08 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Miami is humid, LA is not
LA has hollywood/the entertainment industry and Miami doesn't(at least not to the same extent).
LA has mountains and Miami doesn't.
LA has a large Asian population and miami doesn't
Miami has a lot of black people/Afro Latinos (almost 1/4th of the city) and LA doesn't(not even 10 percent and most are African American).
LA metro has over 12 million people and Miami doesn't even have half of that.
LA has a lot of universities in the area, a lot that are top notch such as USC and UCLA Miami doesn't to the same extent
40 percent of people in LA speak spanish at home(city proper) in Miami that number is almost 65 percent.
I'm sure there are a multitude of other differences within each cities. Culturally speaking the two cities are pretty dissimilar but I see your point of comparison, there are some major similarities between the two as well.

I just want to point out that L.A. has more black people numerically than Miami. But as a percentage Miami is higher.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,528 times
Easier to pickup girls in LA than Miami?? Not too sure about that one.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Easier to pickup girls in LA than Miami?? Not too sure about that one.
I guess it depends on what part of the city and how confident you are as a person.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:11 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
LA and Miami basically have the same size black population with as of 2014 a difference between each other is a little over 1,000. Miami's though is growing faster. But I disagree with Miami having a large black population and LA doesn't. Both CSA's black and mixed black population is over 1.4 million.

Outside of both being beach cities, popular with celebrities, and dense development with some similar housings maybe, I don't see many other similarities between the two. There's nothing like LA but there's nothing like Miami either in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City