Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
hmmm blacks seem to be doing great in san jose and los angeles.

What the hell blacks are doing way to great in Honolulu lol.
A lot of it for some of these cities with smaller Black populations is that many are military affiliated. Even with the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area, West Point is in that metro. With that said, it is probably the metro with the smallest gaps between groups in the country. I can't forget that many in that metro work in NYC and commute from there.

Also, we can't deny the self selecting nature of immigration and how it can give different results between groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I wonder how much household size affects the outcome of this study? That is to say, are White households statistically smaller than Black, Hispanic or Asian households in the US? If so, that would impact the statistics. That is not to say that I think there is income parity in the US across all demographics. I am just saying that if income earners make up a larger percentage of one demographic is going to drive up the per capita income.

Example: household "A" with 2 adult wage earners making $100,000 and supporting one child yields a much different PCI than household "B" with 1 wage earner making $100,000 and supporting a spouse, 2 children and an elderly parent.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I don't think all indians coming in the US are educated or with rich families..Some poor indians must come in the US too.
I'm not agree, Asians seem more commited about the education, with work/family values.
I think that a lot of it has to do with the prevailing, post-litigious-society, anti-intellectual society that we currently live in. Immigrants come looking for a better life and tell their children that no matter how difficult school is, no matter how much you dislike your teacher, no matter how disinterested you are in the subject matter... you go to school, do your work, listen to your teachers, and go on to get a stable career. Basically, the same way that people in the US used to talk to their kids about education.

Fast forward a couple generations, regardless of race or social class, kids know that they can ultimately, get away with slacking off, ignoring and/or mocking their teachers, and generally be much, much more concerned with social issues than educational issues when it comes to school. I've heard people coming from the middle class come down hard on "poor" kids "from the inner city" (read: black or hispanic kids) for this, when it's really absolutely no better when it comes to middle-class white kids.

Although I will be the first to say that there are huge problems with the state of public education in America, at the same time, I'll be the first to say that people need to stop blaming teachers and schools for their kids not being able to read, not knowing how to write, not knowing how to add or subtract, and generally coming from public schools primed and ready to ask "paper or plastic?" It's a problem that is now deeply ingrained in American society and needs to be dealt with quite badly.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
That's because they come here with $, not because their ethnic group is inherently more motivated or talented. For every Indian in the US with a PhD, there are ___ (fill in the blank) Indians living in their homeland who are illiterate. Their families are in no position to send them to college, US or elsewhere.
Eh, that might be true in some circles and in more recent times, but for the most part a lot of the earlier East Asian immigrants (don't know about South Asian) came here fairly poor and uneducated.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, that might be true in some circles and in more recent times, but for the most part a lot of the earlier East Asian immigrants (don't know about South Asian) came here fairly poor and uneducated.
I've known Indian and Pakistani immigrants who came here because of religious or social persecution (Sikhs, Indian Muslims, lower-caste people) and set about saving money to buy entry-level businesses like gas stations, liquor stores, etc. They took much of the money that they made to put their kids into private schools, or at the very least, to put them through college - usually, they're pushed to enter a field that traditionally has high monetary returns, i.e. doctors, lawyers, business administration, etc.

There are certainly wealthier Indians who have immigrated to the US (especially the Bay Area and the greater NYC metro), however it seems like this tends to be a much more recent phenomenon due to the growth of the Indian economy - at least, it is in the numbers you currently see.

This situation isn't exponentially different from, for instance, Chinese and Filipino immigrants, though.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
In st.louis asians earn 108% over 100% for whites. Blacks and Hispanics in st.louis seem to be on the same par with hispanics earning slightly more. Interesting

Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
Quote:
I've known Indian and Pakistani immigrants who came here because of religious or social persecution (Sikhs, Indian Muslims, lower-caste people) and set about saving money to buy entry-level businesses like gas stations, liquor stores, etc. They took much of the money that they made to put their kids into private schools, or at the very least, to put them through college - usually, they're pushed to enter a field that traditionally has high monetary returns, i.e. doctors, lawyers, business administration, etc.

There are certainly wealthier Indians who have immigrated to the US (especially the Bay Area and the greater NYC metro), however it seems like this tends to be a much more recent phenomenon due to the growth of the Indian economy - at least, it is in the numbers you currently see.

This situation isn't exponentially different from, for instance, Chinese and Filipino immigrants, though.
Newer Generations of Asians are here because they want to earn more than they did in their old countries where they lived a essentially upper class lifestyle of their country which equals to upper middle class in the states. The older generations however, worked more for their earnings because they would usually spend their entire savings on immigrating here. Now days most of the poor of these asian countries are staying because of the booming economy or immigrating to closer areas as the world countries economies have generally improved

Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 PM

341 posts, read 902,607 times
East Asians who came here during the 1800s were dirt poor. Among Asians - Chinese, Korean, and Indians usually perform very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City