Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Midwestern Great Plains city?
Sioux Falls, SD 0 0%
Rapid City, SD 1 3.33%
Fargo, ND 0 0%
Bismarck, ND 0 0%
Grand Forks, ND 1 3.33%
Mankato, MN 1 3.33%
Marshall, MN 0 0%
Sioux City, IA 1 3.33%
Iowa City, IA 0 0%
Des Moines, IA 0 0%
Kansas City, MO 10 33.33%
St. Joseph, MO 1 3.33%
Wichita, KS 0 0%
Topeka, KS 0 0%
Kansas City, KS 1 3.33%
Lincoln, NE 0 0%
Omaha, NE 10 33.33%
Other 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite city in the Midwestern Great Plains?

For the purposes of this thread, Great Plains is defined as areas of Midwestern states where prairie is the dominant landscape. The Great Plains, in general, also has a sparse population and heavy farming activity. Southern states like Texas and Oklahoma are specifically excluded from this thread, as are Western states like Wyoming and Colorado (that means no Denver or Dallas). Midwest cities only.

Choose based on:
Peacefulness
Economy
Diversity
Weather
Progressiveness
Development
Education
Activities/Things to Do
Population Growth
Access to major cities

Last edited by northstar22; 09-28-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Peacefulness: Omaha
Economy: Omaha (has the best unemployment rate in the USA), or Kansas City
Diversity: No clue, what exactly are all the states associated with the Great plains?
Weather: I can tolerate every kind of weather thrown at me, all day, all night, easy!
Progressiveness: Again what are all the states in the Great Plains?
Development: Omaha for sure!
Education: I don't know!
Activities/Things to Do: You only get bored if you're some pathetic boring person. Hope that answers this.
Population Growth: Again what are the states we're talking about here?
Access to major cities: Omaha is centralized in the USA, everything on the 4 corners of the country is more convenient. Imagine someone flying from Boston to Seattle... yeah no problem with Omaha.

Overall: Omaha, followed by Kansas City, and then Saint Louis. At least until I figure out all the states involved.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Also, Minneapolis-St. Paul is not on this list because the cities are not located in the prairie portion of Minnesota. Only western Minnesota and the parts of southern Minnesota west of I-35 and below I-94 are prairie. I wanted to pick at least two cities from each state, and Mankato and Marshall are the largest cities in this region of MN (I'm sorry).

Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
What is your favorite city in the Midwestern Great Plains?

For the purposes of this thread, Great Plains is defined as areas of Midwestern states where prairie is the dominant landscape. The Great Plains, in general, also has a sparse population and heavy farming activity. Southern states like Texas and Oklahoma are specifically excluded from this thread, as are Western states like Wyoming and Colorado (that means no Denver or Dallas). Midwest cities only.

Choose based on:
Peacefulness
Economy
Diversity
Weather
Progressiveness
Development
Education
Activities/Things to Do
Population Growth
Access to major cities
I don't think the great plains and the midwest are synonymous hun. Actually the great plains is just west of the midwest and does include some parts of Texas and Colorado but if you want us to not include these then we will respect that.

with that in mind I would have to say that I would choose somewhere in Montana, probably Butte

Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Peacefulness: Omaha
Economy: Omaha (has the best unemployment rate in the USA), or Kansas City
Diversity: No clue, what exactly are all the states associated with the Great plains?
Weather: I can tolerate every kind of weather thrown at me, all day, all night, easy!
Progressiveness: Again what are all the states in the Great Plains?
Development: Omaha for sure!
Education: I don't know!
Activities/Things to Do: You only get bored if you're some pathetic boring person. Hope that answers this.
Population Growth: Again what are the states we're talking about here?
Access to major cities: Omaha is centralized in the USA, everything on the 4 corners of the country is more convenient. Imagine someone flying from Boston to Seattle... yeah no problem with Omaha.

Overall: Omaha, followed by Kansas City, and then Saint Louis. At least until I figure out all the states involved.
States in the Great Plains -

All of:
Nebraska, Kansas, the Dakotas.

Parts of:
Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa

Kansas City is Great Plains, but St. Louis is not.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
States in the Great Plains -

All of:
Nebraska, Kansas, the Dakotas.

Parts of:
Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa

Kansas City is Great Plains, but St. Louis is not.
Oh in that case Omaha all day long! The city also has the brightest future, is the BEST economically right now (out of the other places talking about) and its freakin baller. Lets just ask Warren Buffet, yeah!

Kansas City is nice too, its very underrated. And I've seen some beautiful pictures of its downtown.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Roughly, the Great Plains begin (in the Midwest) west of about the 93rd to 94th parallel. So, for example, Cleveland and Chicago are Midwestern, but not Great Plains.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Roughly, the Great Plains begin (in the Midwest) west of about the 93rd to 94th parallel. So, for example, Cleveland and Chicago are Midwestern, but not Great Plains.
Ya, from your original post I though you ment the great plains to be the midwest, as in Illinois, Ohio Michigan, etc, but I gotcha now.

Here is a map to help you out. It eliminates Dallas and Denver:

Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM

That map looks OK, but should include more of Minnesota and Iowa.

Here's my map of the Midwestern portion of the Plains (excluding the South, Canada and the West), based on population density, topography and culture:

Untitled

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM

398 posts, read 993,533 times
So you post here under two names? kazoopilot and flyingwriter?

Anyway, if you are going to include Marshall, Minnesota in your poll you have to include cities like Lawrence, Kansas. Or Manhattan, Kansas. Ames, Iowa. Salina, Kansas. Hutchinson, Kansas. Hastings, Nebraska. Aberdeen, South Dakota. Mason City, Iowa.

Everyone will say Omaha, Kansas City, Des Moines, etc. but the mid-sized cities have a better quality of life. My favorite is probably Lawrence, Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City