U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 AM

5,098 posts, read 8,167,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
to be honest, and i'm not KONY, but since he's not posting, i'll debate with you...

from my personal experience, some of the ppl in the south don't help everyone outside of the south's perception of the south one bit when they are walking stereotypes.

i used to work with a girl (this is when i lived in the south, by the way) that talked about how country she was and how her fam really would look for road kill to eat. now obviously that is an extreme...

but like my ex gf would always talk about how country they were. they being her fam. my current gf who is also from the south talks about how country she is.

if you guys stop talking about how country you are then maybe we won't think you're country!!

the drawn out words definitely don't help...neither do the made up words.

the music and the images that come out of the south just don't help out what you're saying.

i remember when my cousin and i went down south to visit my ex gf's family and i'm trying to tell her that the south is not what she thinks it is and how its not "country" necessarily and etc. etc.

and stanky leg comes on the radio.

i mean come on. ruined the whole soap box moment i had trying to convince her that the south wasn't "country."

southerners aren't helping with the south's image at all IMO.
not sure what you're getting at here. you seem to be confusing coonery with country. and like i said up above, country does not equal ignorant and backwards. and let's not act like there isn't plenty of foolishness coming from new york. flava flav, the shiny-suit era of hip-hop, lil kim, etc..the south had nothing to do with any of those things lol

yes, southerners are generally more earthy and less "refined" than people up north and out west. but we are what we are

and i have no clue what the accents have to do with anything. we speak southern down here. we can't help that. just like you can't help your accent.

and so what about the stanky leg? you and i both know that's not what the south is all about. and besides, it's dance music and there's nothing wrong with that. dancing has been a part of black culture long before rap ever was. there's nothing wrong with making a fun song
Rate this post positively

Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 AM

10,171 posts, read 14,268,850 times
I'm not country, nor do I think I live in a country city, based off my definition of country. But I will note, there is nothing at all wrong with being who you are. I'm not one to judge a person based off what they look like or act like. I like people who are themselves, and if they're country then they are still ay-okay in my books. Part of being open minded is being able to accept everyone of every background. I've never hated anyone for their race, gender, looks, skin color before in my life, or even where they come from, and I don't ever want to either. I see that so much on here, frankly its disgusting. It truly is, that behavior is just disgusting and its the kind you find at an insane asylum.

We live in a great country where theres a variety of cultures and people here, whether regional or international. But here is my definition of country.

My definition of country:
Moderator cut: image removed

Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 7,149,303 times
i mean i don't mind or anything. my gf defines herself as country and calls her kids country.
there are cultural differences between us and i still have a little trouble understanding her son when he speaks but there are far more similarities than differences.

i just think that our idea of "country" and her idea are different. country here means backwards, slow, ignorant, etc.

its pretty negative. when she calls herself country i definitely don't think that she sees it as a negative.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,347,807 times
downtown atlanta sure is lively

Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 AM

5,098 posts, read 8,167,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
My definition of country:
you live in houston, correct? well, yes houston has its transplants, it's foreigners, culture, and industries, but deep down in it's heart it's still a country city. the same goes for dallas and atlanta. the natives can argue it until they're blue in the face, but it won't stop it from being true. hell, even the rappers from these cities will PROUDLY confess to being country boys

....and houston, when you have neighborhoods where people still have horses in their backyards, that ought to give you some indication that you are a country city . and that's what i love about our southern metros. they're their own brand of cosmopolitan, but they're still real

Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 AM

9,086 posts, read 14,335,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly, when i think of country i think of...ppl that draw their words out, cut words off, colorful hair pieces on females, some of which have gold teeth, dreads and gold teeth on dudes, elderly ppl with gold teeth, dudes in plaid shorts with the matching shirt, ppl that say:

-finna
-fin to
-fixing to
-thang
-drank
-thank
-stank
-yuh
-mane
-naw

ppl that say shawty, daowg, etc.

and i gotta be honest...all of that is done in atlanta...

is everybody -is every female in atl country? no.

but come on. there are a lot of country ppl in atl.

had a friend that asked me if i had ever been to olive "gerden" and she was from atl.

atl is the home of speech such as:

yuh shawty, namtombout? we owl da way turnt up shawty...to da max.
dudes finna loo dey mind round here, shawty.
Thats called "country-ghetto"
Do you really think this is any different?:
"nah mean"(repeated to bridge countless sentences.Sometime 25 time in one paragraph.
worrrrrddddd?
SON;waddup son?
people wearing Shorts and tims at the same time
a fedora and a rag underneath is totally ghetto and might as well be country
Hey pa
Hey ma
Shorty"
Yo
and my favorite HATED phrase:"thats whats up"
No matter the question or statement made!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,347,807 times
fir nay lah nay

Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,742,125 times
Ignorance or stupidity, I really can't tell at this point.
I'll admit that people here consider people in TX, MS, AL, GA, FL, and the rest of LA to be country (there's a thread about this in the LA forum), because they adhere closer to the southern stereotype but it isn't meant in a negative way. Country =/= Rural, Ignorant, etc. and I admit that I was taught the see the rest of the south as country by that definition. Now that I think about it, I can't even define what country is supposed to be but growing up it was always associated with southern stereotypes.

-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
fir nay lah nay
Chockmo Fi Nah Nay

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Do you really think this is any different?:
worrrrrddddd?
SON;waddup son?
people wearing Shorts and tims at the same time
Yo
and my favorite HATED phrase:"thats whats up"
That's common around here and sounds almost exactly like it does when they say it, so if lingo makes one region country it has to do the same with the other.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 7,149,303 times
our slang comes from actual words pronounced the same way they would normally be pronounced...

son
ma (as in mami)

i don't know anybody that says pa here (but some girls say papi)
shorty (again, actual word)
word
etc.

i'll give you yo. i think that na'mean comes from philly originally...but for the most part, we never cut words off here.

i'll also give you "you know what i'm saying" because that used to be said 50 million times in a sentence back in the day and it was really annoying.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 AM

9,086 posts, read 14,335,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
not sure what you're getting at here. you seem to be confusing coonery with country. and like i said up above, country does not equal ignorant and backwards. and let's not act like there isn't plenty of foolishness coming from new york. flava flav, the shiny-suit era of hip-hop, lil kim, etc..the south had nothing to do with any of those things lol

yes, southerners are generally more earthy and less "refined" than people up north and out west. but we are what we are

and i have no clue what the accents have to do with anything. we speak southern down here. we can't help that. just like you can't help your accent.

and so what about the stanky leg? you and i both know that's not what the south is all about. and besides, it's dance music and there's nothing wrong with that. dancing has been a part of black culture long before rap ever was. there's nothing wrong with making a fun song
I disagree completely with this statement!This has more to do with economics/class than make a generality like that.Unless you mean that traditionally the South has had more economic disadvantage historically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.