U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

8,114 posts, read 13,261,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
William P. says:

"If you do come (and I highly discourage it) my advice would be to tell you never to say, "well back in New York we..."

Nobody cares about New York here or what you did there. If New York is so great, well Delta has 13 flights a day back there. It's like saying, "back in dog turd covered hell we..."

Putting a New Yorker in Atlanta is like putting your left shoe on your right foot. Its like giving having your grandmother slip you some tongue at a family gathering. Its like rolling around in a bed of tacks then taking a rubbing alcohol bath.

The corned beef is bad here. There's no such thing as a knish in this town. Women thank men who told doors open for them here versus calling them sexist pigs. A bandana is not considered a fashion accessory here.

We think its impolite to yell at others as opposed to the right of free speech that New Yorkers think general rudeness is.

You should stay in New York. You'd really hate it here."
What's the point of posting a comment from a totally different website on this thread?

I'm sure you could find similar rants from someone in any other city in the country.

Back in reality if find very little animosity (except for when it comes to baseball) between Atlanta and NYC. Hell, a good 1 million people in Metro Atlanta are originally from NYC and Northern Jersey (and probably more) including my own parents. I myself spent most of my summers in NYC as a kid so it's kind of like my second home.

This is also a bond that goes back longer than just recent times. During the first and second Great Migration, African-Americans from Georgia mainly ended up in New York City (my mother's side were among them). Then in the 70s, many of the children of those who left during the Great Migration started to return to Georgia and is one of the main factors why Atlanta has tripled in population since the 70s. Also, not usually known by many, Atlanta has a large Jewish community which was initially put together by entrepreneurs from Brooklyn who came to Atlanta in the early 20th century.

So while NYC and Atlanta are two totally different cities in every way imaginable, the people of both have very little real animosity towards each other. If anything it's just simple kidding around (I've been guilt of this from time to time).
Rate this post positively

Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 AM

436 posts, read 872,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What's the point of posting a comment from a totally different website on this thread?

I'm sure you could find similar rants from someone in any other city in the country.
Because it's funny. Lighten up.

Quote:
Back in reality if find very little animosity (except for when it comes to baseball) between Atlanta and NYC. Hell, a good 1 million people in Metro Atlanta are originally from NYC and Northern Jersey (and probably more) including my own parents. I myself spent most of my summers in NYC as a kid so it's kind of like my second home.
Come on. 1/6 of the people in Atlanta metro are from NYC metro?

Do you seriously believe this?

There is a lot of animosity between Georgia (that's the place that own Atlanta) and NYC, as Georgia is very pro-gun, and NYC is very anti-gun. Bloomberg actually sued a Georgia gun shop, and Bob Barr's firm defended the gun store.

Gun-owning Georgians do not want NYC to infect their state.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Because it's funny. Lighten up.
Well, in a forum where ideas are exchanged, it's kind of hard to have a worthwhile conversation if the person can not defend their comments.

If you say it was just done in humor, then why say this...

Quote:
There is a lot of animosity between Georgia (that's the place that own Atlanta) and NYC, as Georgia is very pro-gun, and NYC is very anti-gun. Bloomberg actually sued a Georgia gun shop, and Bob Barr's firm defended the gun store.

Gun-owning Georgians do not want NYC to infect their state.
First off, there is a big difference between comparing a "Georgian's" attitude toward NYC and an Atlantan's attitude toward NYC. Atlanta is in Georgia, but it's not much like the rest of Georgia. Just like NYC is in New York, but isn't much like the rest of New York state or how Chicago is in Illinois but not much like the rest of Illinois.

For the record, I supported Mayor Bloomberg's stance in that law suit.

And when it comes to conservative blowhards, every city has their share. We've got Bob Barr and Newt Gingrich, y'all have Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. It equals out

Quote:
Come on. 1/6 of the people in Atlanta metro are from NYC metro?

Do you seriously believe this?
Have you ever been to Atlanta? Every other person (especially black people) has a New York family connection or are from their themselves. We just don't participate in that stupid "5th borough" nonsense that certain other cities I won't mention do.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM

11,340 posts, read 18,743,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
Of course I love ATL born and raised but even the most fly homey knows it doesn't hold a candle to NYC. Atlantans are proud but we're not stupid. I'm thinking this thread was created hoping just to heap praise on NYC and bash ATL.
I'm thinking the opposite.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm thinking the opposite.
Probably a little of both...especially when the usual suspects find out about this thread.

Before that happens, let us enjoy some holding music from Atlantans and New Yorkers being cool:

YouTube - Da Art Of Storytellin - Outkast ft. Slick Rick

Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 AM

436 posts, read 872,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
For the record, I supported Mayor Bloomberg's stance in that law suit.
In the wake of McDonald, RKBA is a fundamental right, applicable to the states.

If Mikey goes mucking around with a fundamental right under color of state law, he can get himself personally sued and charged with civil rights crimes.

A Republican presidential candidate can do worse than to threaten Mikey with prosecution from the campaign trail.

Anyway, sorry to hear Atlanta isn't a little more like the rest of Georgia.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
In the wake of McDonald, RKBA is a fundamental right, applicable to the states.

If Mikey goes mucking around with a fundamental right under color of state law, he can get himself personally sued and charged with civil rights crimes.

A Republican presidential candidate can do worse than to threaten Mikey with prosecution from the campaign trail.
Not sure I follow you completely, but I supported Bloomberg's stance because I saw it as a big signal to Federal government to start looking at changing gun laws.

Quote:
Anyway, sorry to hear Atlanta isn't a little more like the rest of Georgia.
I'm not Not that I hate Georgia, but there is a very specific reason why I live in Atlanta as opposed any other city in the state...

Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM

4,591 posts, read 5,075,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Atlanta combined statistical area against the city of New York not including metropolitan area. Premier city of Northeast against premier city of Southeast. To make fair all of Atlanta area against only city of New York. Atlanta area is 5.8 mill, NYC is 8.3 mill. Which place has good nightlife, weather, sports, school, scenery, economics, power, culture, dining, vibe, lively, transport, and all other goods?
Oh gee this isn't a troll thread made by a New Yorker ) Oh the trolls crowd pop up too kid and West as cheerleaders LMAO. Beside Chicago, LA, and you know city data posters are SF groupies no other city as a comparison would come out fair. So how about a thread New York city vs Philly CSA or The Twin cities CSA. why Atlanta? because a New York poster with a ego wanted to bash Atlanta in the south.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,743,915 times
I'd have to roll with New York on this one. There's not really much to say about it. The only reason I'd consider Atlanta out of the two would be weather and distance from family.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM

287 posts, read 442,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oh gee this isn't a troll thread made by a New Yorker ) Oh the trolls crowd pop up too kid and West as cheerleaders LMAO. Beside Chicago, LA, and you know city data posters are SF groupies no other city as a comparison would come out fair. So how about a thread New York city vs Philly CSA or The Twin cities CSA. why Atlanta? because a New York poster with a ego wanted to bash Atlanta in the south.
basically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.