Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:27 AM

6,186 posts, read 11,790,664 times

Advertisements

I'll have to go with Atlanta as far as where I'd rather live, simply due to the lower cost of living, better climate, friendlier people, and more laid back/less stress. Overall, ATL is an easier place to live, and thus the QOL is higher. NYC does have an edge with its public transportation, urbanity, walkability, and overall safer per capita.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:02 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,037,821 times
Like Atlanta but I gotta take the Capital of the World over the Capital of the South!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
How rude, I created thread to see why one may prefer living in ATL over NY but you Atlantans are to emotional to handle a simple comparison. But put ATL against Cincy or Minny and the arrogance jumps on bridge about how superior your city is compared to them. This comparison is just as legitimate as any, dont like it then fine dont come in. You people act like your city is the haven for Jesus's 2nd coming. Prove why its big league, I did not make thread to harm or bash ATL in anyway, its lovely city but start owning what you say and prove why you like it more than NY, dont parade around here acting like its gods gift to world without any logic behind assertion.
Im happy to take this time to tell of my LOVE of ATLANTA..

Yes I am Georgia born and mostly raised.I spent part of my young life in between boarding school in Philadelphia and mostly in South Georgia up until my senior year of high school we moved to the suburbs South of Atlanta.Having come from Parents that were both educated with advanced level degrees and a father in the Army Reserves.We did travel the U.S. and the world.

My mom spoke and taught fluent French when I was a small child,but of course living in South GA and in the suburbs of South Atlanta,French was just not spoken,so her knowledge dwindled away from lack of use.Not many "Frenchies" in South Georgia after she decided to teach elementary grades.

After leaving the Air Force I decided to move back to Atlanta.I had never really lived in the city of Atlanta.So thats what I did.I really enjoyed it but felt a little bored.My best friend and his wife had a big house in the burbs of Philly in Jersey near Cherry Hill.They told me I should try living up there.I did.For a full year almost.It was okay but not much better.Although I did enjoy the diversity I felt people were a bit distant.Not mean or cold but just distant.

I should remind you that through out my life I have spent countless summers in Philly where a large part of my family have lived since the 1920's in the first African american migrations and more later.So Philly I consider my second home away from home.I love it, I hate it.Thats another thread.

SO i moved back to Atlanta but traveled constantly ,Although I was no longer active duty,I was now in the Reserve which actually gave me more opportunity to take short assignments all over the world.More so than active duty.

For 6months I had a lull in assignments and decided to take another friend up on his offer to come to NYC and take the extra room he had.Of course I was excited!I was going to live in NYC!!!OMG!! I felt like this was like hitting the lottery!I had all kinds of emotions of euphoria!I was scared but mostly excited.I was so proud to tell everybody I was moving to NYC!!My parents were worried but of happy I was happy so they were cool.Even if they did not understand why anyone would want to "live in all that".

So I packed up and head North in my new tricked out 96 Neon and headed to NYC.
Well To cut the story short,when I first got there it was every thing I had hoped for with the exception of my living space.My friends idea of an d "extra room" was a "closet" with no door in a cramped old raged brownstone in Harlem somewhere near 147th and MLK jr(I think thats right)
Needless to say I was not impressed,but hey I was in the military,you learn to adapt easy.So i did.

The first month was great,after then I started to realize that it was just TOO chaotic!The people thought i was from Mars when I told them Georgia.The thing is its not like I have an accent.I do not.The city I grew up in in South Georgia was a huge Air Force town so I was used to different accents.Still very Southern town but as it was nicknamed;"The International Gateway",I just did not pick up a strong one.Plus my parents both being educators were big on grammar and enunciating your words clearly.(SHOUT OUT TO MOM AND DAD,THANKS!!)

So the daily grind began to wear on me.Attitudes,negativity,"hustler" mentality jsut was not me.And it was the constant nagging from people about how they assummed I must be glad to get away from Georgia and the South!When I ask why would they say that?They just look blankly and basically have nothing more to say than:"Its the South.Its Georgia."

When I ask:"oh you have been to Atlanta or South?"Usually almost always it was not only no,but HELL NO!They would usually have so many pre conceived notions that were more in line with 1930's South than at that time in the late 1990's.To argue would be pointless because you cannot convinced people who think they know everything!

So after all that.I decided to leave and go back to GA.Back to ATlanta.Travell somemore and eventually stop traveling as much.

So since then I have made it my point to get to know ALL of Atlanta.GOD and BAD.ANd I can honestly say ,I do.
So the bad things first:

THE BAD:
I wish MARTA was like Bostons transit.
The Deli's,corner bodegas
The water.Crossing the Verrazano bridge and taking the ferry when I lived on Staten Island for a few weeks.
The proximity to all the other destinations outside of NYC
More 24 hour options(Atlanta compared to other cities is not the worst by ANY means)

The GOOD:
The people.Friendliness.Not segregated by neighborhood.Less diversity,but more integration.Better attitudes.More open minded.(yeh I said it)
SPACE.I LOVE MY SPACE.I do wish for some more density,but manageable density.Not OVERCROWDING.There is a difference.

The trees and the greenery.
Cost of living.
I like the way the city grows everyday something is changing and evolving.
I have watched project like Atlantic Station go up and now the Beltline which people are really undervaluing the work this project is already doing to GREATLY and VAST improve the quality of living.

New Parks popping up everywhere.And not boring parks.
Atlanta's neighborhoods.From Inman Park to Buckhead,to the Cascades

HISTORY.I love NYC HISTORY JUST AS much.(African AMer)but Atlanta has been a parallel to NYC for several years.Just on a much smaller scale.
I am PROUD of the progressive nature in which Atlanta has made bold decisions to be what it is today.Atlanta is the ONLY city in WORLD I dare say that has market itself to where it wanted to be.Atlanta was not everything it portrayed in 1996 to the Olympic committee.Some people claim that was an embarrassment.Perhaps.I look at it like this:It was sheer tenacity.No city since has ever faced as much of a challenge up hill to win the Olympics as Atlanta did.

It take PRIDE in order to get somewhere you never been before.And Atlanta other than any city on this site has more PRIDE than anybody else!
As a result,look where we are today.We are a BETA + city that has joined the ranks of Boston,San Fransisco and even in most cases surpassed MIAMI!Those cities are in the same place they were 20 years ago.They have been international since then.
A thread with ATL vs NYC!WOW!We must be something!

There is SO much more I have found out about Atlanta that o the surface you really dont see.It does take a little more effort than say in other established cities.Well thats part of the excitement of Atlanta and why living here is great.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
hmmmm, even with all the wonder and excitement that is new york city, it's atlanta all day and everyday for me. to live in, anyway. an extended vacation is about all i could take in the big apple. except for maybe brooklyn. that's the only part of the city i would even think about living in

Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Neither are you, but we are supposed to trust you out of anybody else? Even guys who live there?

It has to do with ratio and not quantity. Having 8 millions of woman with a small chunk of them having big asses vs having a few million with huge chunk of that having big asses is totally different.
first, i live in queens.

one of my best friends lives in atl so we chill from time to time (if we're going to take va's friends and fam and former gf story then you gotta accept mine as well).

second, the odds are in our favor because we have more women, more ethnicities associated with having thick women, etc. etc. its like somebody saying that a city like santo dominigo (for example) has less women with fat asses than atl. i don't buy that either. the reason why i bring up santo domingo is because we have more dominicans than that city does.

our pop dwarfs yours. the odds of finding a thick female are greater. even within my borough alone, the odds are greater.

atl has a smaller pop so ppl might notice it more (i don't even buy that tho) but within say...bk, the bronx, queens and def manhattan, on a summer day you can find more hips, thighs and ass.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM

468 posts, read 786,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
There is no category on Earth where ATL outdoes NY. Those are facts, all global rankings, fashion designers, entertainment giants know this as the truth. Sorry but the truth hurts. NY women > ATL women on pure size, diversity, variety, fashion. ATL is cool city though, besides its weak transit, bad infrastructure, and bad economy I have nothing negative to report on ATL.
WHO CARES That Atlanta can't beat NYC... You posters from
that region all you guys do is come
on here beating your chest like wild gorillas bragging boasting and being arrogant.. I love NYC but it's also not gods gift to the world..

Please let's not get on the topic of mass transit and infastructure There is so much I could say on that subject about NYCs urine and rat infested subway systems..

Now let me tell you why I choose Atlanta over sickening NYC

Low Cost of living..and quality living.. I get alot more for my money here living wise ..
I like the laid back atmosphere here and the friendliness of the people.. I'm excited to be in a city that's evolving into something awesome. I have enough amenties here that a major city needs. Shopping,dining, arts nightlife etc... Despite how many times I'm reminded about sprawl lack of this and lack of that.. There is nothing that will make feel some kinda way towards Atlanta.. Forever I love Atlanta, and forever Atlanta will be my home..

Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Atlanta is not even close to being in the same league as NYC... this was no contest. It's like comparing a shiny new Hyundai to a classic Rolls Royce in mint condition.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
and eek, you can't just count atlanta's city proper of 530K (the urban pop is in the millions) because you're not including intown suburbs like decatur, college park, east point, etc. where there is a surplus of your "fat asses"

even if new york did have more, everybody knows they can't shake it like a down south gal .....

Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM

287 posts, read 494,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its not solely about having a larger population but its about which ethnicities make up said population. i'm sorry but i'm inclined to believe that the city with large numbers of ethnicities known for thick women will win no matter what.

our puerto rican (800k last count) and dominican (650k last count) populations alone are both larger than the entire atl population (530k last count).

add to that that we have more african americans in this city than the entire population of atl. add to that that we have more west indians than the entire population of atl. each of these ethnicities is associated with thick females due to diet.

IMO the way to measure it is by diet and which ethnicities historically are associated with what we're talking about (again due to diet, which is/can be cultural).

our odds increase because the amount of various ethnicities associated with thickness that are represented here.

the same person that pays you to find anything negative about nyc is the same person that pays me to boost nyc. and i really don't have to explain why i'm on here all the time.

you lost me with the word "niger-os" tho. not sure where you're going with that...
If this is so true then why aren't other New Yorkers visiting? I have yet to say anything bad about NYC either nor did I say I lived in ATL.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,613,796 times
I’ll say this; ATL can take a page from NY when it comes to consolidation. What do I mean? Well, Atlanta’s core counties are Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, & Clayton (which should merge with Henry). I think that those 5 counties should all be annexed by the city of Atlanta.
Another thing, check out our cities in the ATL area, they’re really the size of neighborhoods. Take Clayton County (“cities”):
College Park (give that to Fulton), Forest Park, Jonesboro, Lake City, Lovejoy, Riverdale, Morrow. That’s not even counting the unincorporated areas like Conley, Rex, etc.
Take Fulton County too: Sandy Springs, College Park, East Point, Alpharetta, Hapeville, Union City, etc…these “cities” are neighborhoods not (well they shouldn’t be) cities.
I also look at ATL proper; it already has neighborhoods like VA Highlands, Inman Park, Castleberry Hill, etc. I used to look at Buckhead as an ATL neighborhood but I guess it’s just a district (because it has a slew of n’hoods itself).
Yeah, I admit that ATL could do what NY did and consolidate the five (maybe six or seven) counties into something to make ATL a little more unified because it’s a little too fragmented. It just seems as if it’s screaming to be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Atlanta is not even close to being in the same league as NYC... this was no contest. It's like comparing a shiny new Hyundai to a classic Rolls Royce in mint condition.
Hmmm. I would say ATL is a Maserati Quattroporte (on chrome) and NYC is a Bugatti Veyron in mint condition, fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City