Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which WSC City is most influential?
Houston 44 41.12%
Little Rock 5 4.67%
San Antonio 5 4.67%
Tulsa 3 2.80%
Fort Worth 0 0%
New Orleans 10 9.35%
Dallas 37 34.58%
OKC 1 0.93%
Austin 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,844,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Culturally. Dallas, from what I hear, has more flash associated with it. I also know its influences extend to the Oklahoma metros, Arkansas, and northern LA. Houston gets the Gulf region, but I think Dallas has more folks.
lol, so you are just going by what you hear?

I would not underestimate the gulf region either. It accounts for 11M people.

I don't know what number of people the Dallas to OK_AK region would account for, but apart from north Texas, the gulf region is a bit more densely populated.

BUt I think influence goes much further than culture.

Houston has a longer History going back to the first capital of the republic. It has a history of industry, shipping and transport going back to the railroad days. Most things went through Houston before it went to Dallas or FW.

Houston has a longer history with cultural activities like Arts. some of the fist and biggest arts and theatrical events for the west south central area was handled in Houston and Houston only.

Houston is a forerunner for education in the area. It is a forerunner for medicine.

It has the largest port for foreign tonnage.

NASA brings it lots of attention.

Dallas just can't compare in many areas. I don't know if I said that before, but many people in that area may go there to shop, but they look to Houston as the big city in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, so you are just going by what you hear?

I would not underestimate the gulf region either. It accounts for 11M people.

I don't know what number of people the Dallas to OK_AK region would account for, but apart from north Texas, the gulf region is a bit more densely populated.

BUt I think influence goes much further than culture.

Houston has a longer History going back to the first capital of the republic. It has a history of industry, shipping and transport going back to the railroad days. Most things went through Houston before it went to Dallas or FW.

Houston has a longer history with cultural activities like Arts. some of the fist and biggest arts and theatrical events for the west south central area was handled in Houston and Houston only.

Houston is a forerunner for education in the area. It is a forerunner for medicine.

It has the largest port for foreign tonnage.

NASA brings it lots of attention.

Dallas just can't compare in many areas. I don't know if I said that before, but many people in that area may go there to shop, but they look to Houston as the big city in the area.
Lol, well I can only go by what I hear and read because I am not from that area nor have I been to Houston. I have only passed through Dallas and that was back in the 90s. I dare not try to talk over my head.

But their are several studies that rank Dallas above Houston. I find it odd myself, but there is more to influence and clout than GDP. And, btw, Dallas is a much smaller percentage of its metro than Houston, yet DFW has a larger metro. There is something about being near to Dallas that is important.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Lol, well I can only go by what I hear and read because I am not from that area nor have I been to Houston. I have only passed through Dallas and that was back in the 90s. I dare not try to talk over my head.

But their are several studies that rank Dallas above Houston. I find it odd myself, but there is more to influence and clout than GDP. And, btw, Dallas is a much smaller percentage of its metro than Houston, yet DFW has a larger metro. There is something about being near to Dallas that is important.
studies? are you talking about the GAWC? AA is headquartered in DFW and one of the rankings for GAWC is airports. That is why their first reports had Atlanta ranked on the same level as Chicago. It is interesting to see all the stats but some of it is a load of crap.

It is not just GDP that Houston pulls rank on. we have twice the number of F500 companies. we are twice as large. We have the Space Center. and OIL is one of the biggest industries in the state.

Posts like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
New York: finance, business, culture, economic engine
Detroit: Automotive industry
D.C: Politics
San Jose/San Fran: Information Technology
Houston: Oil/Space industry
LA: Film and Entertainment industry (has inspired the world and changed the way we look at life and entertainment)
Chicago: Making america badass
are sorta true.

what is Dallas influential for?

PS: if you listen to CD your impression of Houston would be opposite from what it actually is

Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM

20,509 posts, read 33,409,035 times
Dallas and Houston has advantages over the other. But neither are more influential on the state of Texas than the other. But when you say West South Central, you have to take in account of all states involved and Arkansas and Oklahoma is heavily influenced by Dallas and Dallas is seen as the big city there. Same with Central Texas.

Dallas is a leader in many industries as well including telecommunications, business, banking, and transportation. They have a couple of the best high schools in the nation and one of them is in the budding Arts district in downtown. There's many more accolades for Dallas but my point is that I disagree with most people in the state look to Houston as the big city. Just as many look to Dallas as well.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,274,860 times
Quote:
studies? are you talking about the GAWC? AA is headquartered in DFW and one of the rankings for GAWC is airports. That is why their first reports had Atlanta ranked on the same level as Chicago. It is interesting to see all the stats but some of it is a load of crap.

It is not just GDP that Houston pulls rank on. we have twice the number of F500 companies. we are twice as large. We have the Space Center. and OIL is one of the biggest industries in the state.

Posts like these:

are sorta true.

what is Dallas influential for?

PS: if you listen to CD your impression of Houston would be opposite from what it actually is
GaWC is just one of several studies. I'm also curious, what do you perceive my impression of Houston to be? Dallas is influential as being the stereotypical city of Dallas. For example, the Federal Reserve Bank is located in Dallas and not Houston for a reason.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,669,593 times
Houston

Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
GaWC is just one of several studies. I'm also curious, what do you perceive my impression of Houston to be?
no clue, all I am saying is if you go by city data posts, your opinion of the place will be highly skewed
Quote:
Dallas is influential as being the stereotypical city of Dallas. For example, the Federal Reserve Bank is located in Dallas and not Houston for a reason.
you do realize that FR banks are regional things right? They don't necessarily locate the regional bank in the most influential area. If that was so then the 10th district's FR bank would be located in Denver instead of Kansas City, the 12 would be located in LA instead of SF, and the 5th would be located in DC instead of Richmond.

Beside, that bank has branches in every major city in Texas with the exception of Austin and FW.

The Bank's rightful place was in New Orleans though.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,964,355 times
Quote:
In terms of :

Economyy I would say Houston
National Importance: Houston (they get more terrorist threats and NASA is there)
Shipping: Houston
Business: Houston has way more fortune 500 companies than Dallas
Air Travel Domestic: Dallas
Air Travel International: Houston
Air Travel Overall: Dallas
Better Museums: Houston
Better Arts Scene: Houston
You could also add in "Culture" and give it to New Orleans. Maybe the arts scene too? I don't know for sure, but culture overall could be given to New Orleans in my opinion.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,855,871 times
Dallas. Houston is the gulf coast all the way to West Miss. Dallas is OK, Northern LA, AR, North TX etc.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
You could also add in "Culture" and give it to New Orleans. Maybe the arts scene too? I don't know for sure, but culture overall could be given to New Orleans in my opinion.
I would give culture to New Orleans to,. I don't know much about Nola's art scene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City