Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which South Atlantic City is more influential
DC 32 45.07%
Baltimore 3 4.23%
Atlanta 24 33.80%
Miami 5 7.04%
Orlando 1 1.41%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Tampa 2 2.82%
Charlotte 1 1.41%
Raleigh 1 1.41%
Greensboro 0 0%
Salem 1 1.41%
Charleston 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I wish DC were not included in that it seems like it doesn't belong from a functional perspective in the south Atlantic. To me without Atlanta is the clear choice. the Texas cities seem like they exist mostly in another region which is interesting in that it is really the only area that has two nearly mirror images.
I agree exactly. DC's importance isn't tied any region in IMHO. It could be in the middle of Montana and still be just as influential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
I am more familiar with Atlanta with limited knowledge of Charlotte but guess can see this. In perspective Philly a larger city/metro than Atlanta in some ways still looks to NYC in the region but to me this always seemed because it is literally right next door - the area in between has grey areas that are both considered commuter areas for Philly and NYC with NYC being the larger (4 times the size) but it seems like the differance between the size of Charlotte and Atlanta are no where near the same thus it seems harder to believe that a city smaller than my own would have such an influence on a place more than half it's size so far away
The difference between the size, are no where near the same?... Half the size of Atlanta?.....and so far away?

Charlotte 1,745,524
Atlanta 5,475,213

But that's the thing Atlanta is over 3 times the size of Charlotte and Charlotte is less than 4 hours away I made it a little over 3 hours once to Charlotte. Doesn't New York influnence Boston being over 3 times it size and being 4 hours away. Same story on a smaller scale. P.S And Philly is less than 500,000 more than Atlanta. It's the same difference between Houston to Atlanta. But Atlanta is just so much smaller than Philly so it's hard to imagine, may be because you turned 1.7 mil as half the size of Atlanta.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egaregions.png

And don’t forget that Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Greensville and Atlanta are connected though a emerging mega region or megalopolis it actually goes to Birmingham but that not part of the south Atlantic it’s literally called the Piedmont Atlantic. Also the bulk of the south Atlantic population is on the piedmont region not the coast. The piedmont is also a cultural region I don’t care if Raleigh is slightly closer to DC, the cultural, development, vernacular architecture and etc is closer to the other NC cities which makes it closer to Atlanta overall in these things as well. Oh yeah DC is part of BosWash which isn’t the south Atlantic.

There's something contradictory posters are doing. The reason why posters are going DC? south Atlantic huh? Because DC doesn’t associate with most of the south Atlantic out side of Virginia it associate with the northeast or mid Atlantic. How does DC influence a region the most when it doesn’t even associate with it. The OP put DC because to the census it’s the South Atlantic but that doesn’t mean it associated with south Atlantic. So now were arguing the Northeast or North Atlantic has more influence on the South Atlantic then the South Atlantic has on itself Seriously. If DC which associate with the northeast, has more influence over North Carolinas cities wouldn’t they reflect the northeast more than the southeastern sunbelt? I’m just saying?

And that DC the capital arguement is a trumiph card. DC being the capital doesn’t give regional influence it gives a national influence only though political issues "federal". If DC just being the capital has more influence over the southeast then you can argue DC has more influence over the northwest and challenge Seattle. Federal is the opposite of local were talking about regional influnence.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Dude you really missed the point

and BTW not to get nitpicky - but if 500K is insignificant that is also the differance between 50% and 33% in the comparison of 2 or 3 times

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-06-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Dude you really missed the point
explain?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
ummm... how can you possibly vote for any other city than DC in this poll?? i don't get it...

when it comes down to it, DC is the most 'influential' city on the planet--let alone the 'south atlantic' lmao.\

well..i guess it depends how you're using the term 'influential'..

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
ummm... how can you possibly vote for any other city than DC in this poll?? i don't get it...

when it comes down to it, DC is the most 'influential' city on the planet--let alone the 'south atlantic' lmao.\

well..i guess it depends how you're using the term 'influential'..
We aren't really talking about national political influence, since DC is in a category by itself when it comes to that. The influence being spoken of here is more along economic, cultural, etc. lines.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree exactly. DC's importance isn't tied any region in IMHO. It could be in the middle of Montana and still be just as influential.
i disagree.

put dc in the north east and see how much influence it has.
i feel like nyc dominates in that category and the other cities just draw off of it, to an extent.

dc in its current location serves as an influence to MD, VA, and eastern NC.

it seems to me, and somebody feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, that once you get passed MD (going north), dc's influence, politics aside, is non existent. dc belongs on the list of cities in this thread.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 16,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i disagree.

put dc in the north east and see how much influence it has.
i feel like nyc dominates in that category and the other cities just draw off of it, to an extent.

dc in its current location serves as an influence to MD, VA, and eastern NC.

it seems to me, and somebody feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, that once you get passed MD (going north), dc's influence, politics aside, is non existent. dc belongs on the list of cities in this thread.
This post doesn't make sense. If D.C. has national influence as the nation's capital, doesn't that include the northeast?

Example, where papers talk about the actions of the U.S. government, they don't say "New York is seeking talks with Tehran." It would say, "Washington is seeking talks with Tehran."

Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
DCs the most influential mid Atlantic city. Miami is the most influential South Atlantic city. The answer to the poll would be DC if it were actually in the south Atlantic.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
DCs the most influential mid Atlantic city. Miami is the most influential South Atlantic city. The answer to the poll would be DC if it were actually in the south Atlantic.

Miami is only influential in tourism....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City