Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ECS city is most influential?
Jackson 1 2.04%
Biloxi 0 0%
Chattanooga 0 0%
Memphis 11 22.45%
Nashville 29 59.18%
Knoxville 1 2.04%
Birmingham 2 4.08%
Mobile 0 0%
Montgomery 0 0%
Lexington 0 0%
Louisville 3 6.12%
Gulfport 1 2.04%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Nashville is an interesting city isn't it? I need to spend more time in the south. It is so culturally rich.
Couldn't agree more...surprisingly cosmopolitan for an American city of its' size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The problem with this region is that nearly all of it is influenced from cities in the neighboring regions.
I mirror these same thoughts, but if I give myself frontal lobotomy and just judge the groups in this region on their own merits I still can't come up with one that is obviously the most influential or even the most dynamic city.

But Nashville seems like it would be it on the strength and influence of it's music industry.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The largest metro areas in this region are Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, and Birmingham. For the most part, most of their influence doesn't go much further than the states they are located in; there's a bit of an exception for Louisville and Memphis since they are along their states' borders. But still, none of these cities are really large enough to exert a large regional influence here. I'd say the closest might be Memphis which has a cultural influence on its immediate region and Mississippi (and Arkansas, but it's not included within this region) and has somewhat of a broad economic influence due to Fed Ex.
Nashville has quite a bit of influence in Southern KY, especially the Bowling Green area. Since Nashville area students receive in-state tuition at WKU, there's a lot of traffic between the two cities. Most of Southern KY is also served by the Nashville TV stations.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I mirror these same thoughts, but if I give myself frontal lobotomy and just judge the groups in this region on their own merits I still can't come up with one that is obviously the most influential or even the most dynamic city.

But Nashville seems like it would be it on the strength and influence of it's music industry.
Well I can't comment on Nashville, but I can say that Birmingham has a little pull on the extreme northeastern parts of Mississippi (These are the areas also pulled by Atlanta). Northwestern Mississippi and eastern Arkansas are Memphis all day, while Jackson pulls into a little of northeastern Louisiana (All of this is Dallas territory on the bigger scale). Natchez and Southwest Mississippi are thrown out because they look to Baton Rouge as "the city" (Now we're in Houston's land). Mobile (Atlanta), pulls the eastern end of coastal Mississippi and New Orleans pulls the western end. It seems like the cities in Alabama and Tennessee wield just a little regional influence, whereas Mississippi is influenced by everything around it (sad when you think about it, but it makes for an interesting mix of culture in MS).

Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
I agree with others and don't see one city that has pull over the region, but Nashville I see as steadily outpacing the others in terms of growth. Birmingham also has a good chance, but its metro is smaller. Memphis has more potential to grow and influence the area due to its history, but its current economic climate gives way to Nashville.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
I never realized that the Birmingham metro area was that big. Didn't know any major metro was that close to Atlanta
Both Birmingham and the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson metro areas are relatively close to Atlanta and are about 1.2 million.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Both Birmingham and the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson metro areas are relatively close to Atlanta and are about 1.2 million.
I did not know that thanks. I guess ya do learn stuff from City Data.

I thought that ATL was the only Metro over a million in that area.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
I did not know that thanks. I guess ya do learn stuff from City Data.

I thought that ATL was the only Metro over a million in that area.
Nope. The emerging Piedmont Atlantic megalopolis region is full of 1 million+ metro areas: Birmingham, Atlanta, Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson (SC Upstate), Charlotte, the NC Triad, the NC Triangle, and Richmond.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Nope. The emerging Piedmont Atlantic megalopolis region is full of 1 million+ metro areas: Birmingham, Atlanta, Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson (SC Upstate), Charlotte, the NC Triad, the NC Triangle, and Richmond.
Sweet. The area is more fluid than I thought

Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Sweet. The area is more fluid than I thought
Oh yeah! This is the greatest area (second greatest to you ) in the South. Upstate, SC is sort of misleading when you look at the city proper boundaries due to SC strict/archaic annexation laws. But the area is one 1 million + CSA connected to the other. Mostly from I-85 and is also known as the I-85 corridor megaopolis. You should come check the area out. Especially Greenville, you will be impressed that a town of 40k is more urban than you expected and has a higher urban area than Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City