Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will see brighter development?
Boston 14 33.33%
Philly 28 66.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,679 times

Advertisements

Both awesome downtowns with great urban bones.

Looking forward over the next 10 years or so, which will have the brighter future in terms of development?

Seems like they have opposite challenges. Philly is more accommodating to development and has put up some awesome building in the past 20 years. But it doesn't have the SF/NYC style yuppie economy to attract the same level of investment.

Boston can attract the investment, but development is fought tooth and nail. The city cant seem to build anything above 20 story stumps anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
So 'development' means tall buildings?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
So 'development' means tall buildings?

To make it simple, lets say yes.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,919,524 times
Philly, because Boston is already developed...

EDIT: I see we are just talking about skyscrapers. Now the answer is seriously Philly.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,043 times
Having just visited both. I would say philadelphia. They have tall buildings right in the middle of rowhouse areas. /oston only seems to allow tall buildings in a couple of areas.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Seems like they have opposite challenges. Philly is more accommodating to development and has put up some awesome building in the past 20 years. But it doesn't have the SF/NYC style yuppie economy to attract the same level of investment.

Boston can attract the investment, but development is fought tooth and nail. The city cant seem to build anything above 20 story stumps anymore.
These are two salient points. I started to vote for Boston, as I think the high-tech industry, one of Boston's great strengths, offers a critical mass for continued growth. In the end, I voted Philly since they simply seem more eager to encourage development compared with the stronger anti-development sentiment I find quite common in Boston. Philly would seem a "no-brainer" if I was an executive looking to locate my business in one vs. the other - do I want to fight to get in or rush into open arms? This climate in Boston may end up being a continued boon to its suburbs (such as Waltham) to the city's detriment.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Philly, because Boston is already developed...

EDIT: I see we are just talking about skyscrapers. Now the answer is seriously Philly.
A little bit of a nitpick: Philadelphia is certainly maxed-out in terms of development, but unlike Boston, it has much more land ripe for redevelopment (i.e., under-utilized former industrial sites and surface parking lots).

To be sure, zoning in both cities is very much on the strict side, with plenty of NIMBYism to boot. However, due in no small part to the availability of more land for re-development and much more affordable real estate (outside of Center City and its enviorons), Philadelphia would seem more amenable to developers.

Also, in terms of skyscrapers, high-rises tend to be confined to being between Market & Arch Streets in Philly, but there is very ample space for CBD growth north of the Vine Street Expressway. Unfortunately, Boston does not have the luxury of being able to re-develop a plethora of under-utilized space.

All in all, though, I think both cities will be prime targets for future growth, particularly because these are well-planned, walkable cities with robust transit systems and great residential neighborhoods in close proximity to their CBDs.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-03-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 05:33 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
definately philadelphia. There are hundreds of proposed plans aiming to make the future brighter for the city. Philly was in a condo boom as well as having a mjor expansion period for colleges and hospitals. There has been some down time because of the recession, but i think within the next 10-20 years there will be some big changes, such as the new proposed water front, more highrised, college and hospital expansion, comcast and its taking over of NBC.

Ive said this before boston is farther along than philly, i really dont see boston changing that much. I think the city is pretty much as good as it will ever be. PHilly is much larger, and still behind because the development period hit the city later. Also phillys location helps it out a lot more as well.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,263,544 times
Boston by a mile.. Its workforce is much more educated by far.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Boston by a mile.. Its workforce is much more educated by far.
boston has the better educated work force and that's a great positve atribute... But I struggle to see why that is so important here. Madison wisconsin has a better educated work force than nyc; this doesn't mean that madison has a brighter devepmental future than nyc. Boston may indeed have the brighter future here but if tjat's the case it won't be because of it's highly educated work force... A topic which is at best, only distantly related to the topic at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City