Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 11:50 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
With exception to a lot more than that.

There is no DC equivalent to New Jack City or the Harlem Rennaissance in black culture. Especially not for black people from the Northeast.

This is a world of Teddy Riley, Honey, And 1, Sean John Fur Hooded Jackets with the Orange in them, Forces/Uptowns, Fire Escapes and walk-ups, and ethnicities crossing cultures

DC is more of an institutional base for black culture in America (News Papers, Colleges, corporations, Military, etc.).
The issue is era's. DC's Black Broadway was a bigger deal happening before the Harlem Renaissance. I'm not saying that Harlem's didn't gain more notoriety or fame, obviously being in NYC. But the point is DC received tons of Blacks from the 1920's-1950's as part of the Great Migration and thus turned it into a "Chocolate City" and Black Capital for specifically African Americans.

Regarding more recent history much of local DC's black culture, it has been very insulated by the locals, not caring or wanting to destroy it for the sake of taking over the popularity of a NY/ATL etc. Only recently since the wave of social media are we seeing locals want to really showcase DC Black culture on a bigger scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 11:52 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The issue is era's. DC's Black Broadway was a bigger deal happening before the Harlem Renaissance. I'm not saying that Harlem's didn't gain more notoriety or fame, obviously being in NYC. But the point is DC received tons of Blacks from the 1920's-1950's as part of the Great Migration and thus turned it into a "Chocolate City" and Black Capital for specifically African Americans.
Before? Okay. Bigger deal? How Sway?

Old 01-17-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
This is the point..

She was correct. You replied...

The point is we're disproving that. DC is the black capital for the DMV, I'm sure. Not refuting that. But it is not for the entire Northeastern black population...no no no. That is definitively New York City. Maybe you didn't mean northeastern but that is what Shakeesha said.

In 2024 DC is more the Black Capital for Black Americans at large, sure. I don't argue that.
No my overall point is that NYC is not a "Black Capital" more than DC or Atlanta, it is just the overall cultural exporter along with LA in the United States. It exports local culture at a higher volume than any other cities sure. But that doesn't mean that African American's look to NYC as their shining star for Black anything. Even in the "Northeast" by Census designation, I see NYC as more of the overall dominate city of exporting everything culturally yes, but not necessarily being a "Black Capital" where Blacks before anyone look to move there, choose to leave Boston, Philly, South Jersey etc. to move to NYC by choice because of it being the "Black Capital" of the region. I'm talking about more than cultural exportation.

Old 01-17-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
No my overall point is that NYC is not a "Black Capital" more than DC or Atlanta, it is just the overall cultural exporter along with LA in the United States. It exports local culture at a higher volume than any other cities sure. But that doesn't mean that African American's look to NYC as their shining star for Black anything. Even in the "Northeast" by Census designation, I see NYC as more of the overall dominate city of exporting everything culturally yes, but not necessarily being a "Black Capital" where Blacks before anyone look to move there, choose to leave Boston, Philly, South Jersey etc. to move to NYC by choice because of it being the "Black Capital" of the region. I'm talking about more than cultural exportation.
So why do you think someone decides to move to Harlem or Brooklyn?

Old 01-17-2024, 12:19 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
To the bolded, that doesn't seem true to me at all as an ADOS who lived my entire life in the region.

....If I wasn't a super Boston head... I would've moved to Harlem straight out of college. A charter school from CT (where I went to college) was opening up a branch in Harlem. But my offer wasn't enough IMO, I'd been told not to trust Steve Perry, and I had a better offer to do the same job in my neighborhood. I could've definitely made it work for sure but I wanted to go home.

It's where my brother and my cousin live now; they're both from Boston. Both live in Manhattan; to be fair my cousin is 1/2 Cape Verdean so don't fully ADOS.. Actually, both my brother and I lived in DC before he moved to NYC (we didn't overlap) but didn't stay over 3 years. Today id move to NYC before DC. Closer to home, less crime, more exciting, more culturally comfortable- I feel at home in NYC in a way I don't in DC. I feel too judged/alien in DC.

The main thing keeping black people out of NYC right now is it being the most expensive city in the US. If you're from the NOrtheast there are much cheaper places that are basically NYC outposts with a twist from a cultural standpoint

I also think older black people like late 30s and up have different tastes and inclinations than younger black people for whom NYC is a massive tik/tok and social media draw.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-17-2024 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-17-2024, 12:26 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
In a way this argument is somewhat similar to how I said I understand how people in DC might not see ATL as THE black capital.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
In a way this argument is somewhat similar to how I said I understand how people in DC might not see ATL as THE black capital.
In terms of people wanting to up and move to a place for "Blacks" and get ahead/ start their businesses. Atlanta is the Black capital today. DC's still in the mix but Atlanta's 1st. There's other aspects like Black wealth, job market etc. where DC and NYC, maybe even LA or Chicago compete more with Atlanta.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So why do you think someone decides to move to Harlem or Brooklyn?
Harlem has been NYC's best example, but even that is diluted now as a "mecca" for specifically Blacks to move to. BK, especially nowadays, is everybody trying to move in who can afford it. What's the percentage of Blacks leaving metro Boston, Philly, Hartford etc., moving to domicile in BK the last 10-12 years as opposed to those of other races? You're the stats guy here.

Last edited by the resident09; 01-17-2024 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-17-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Harlem has been NYC's best example, but even that is diluted now as a "mecca" for Blacks to move. BK especially nowadays is everybody trying to move in who can afford it. What's the percentage of Blacks leaving metro Boston, Philly, Hartford etc., moving to domicile in BK the last 10-12 years as opposed to those of other races? You're the stats guy here.
DC and Atlanta are not diluted? A while back I looked at the 20001 zip code in DC (containing Howard U.) and roughly 86% of college graduates between the ages of 25 and 34 were non-Black.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DC and Atlanta are not diluted? A while back I looked at the 20001 zip code in DC (containing Howard U.) and roughly 86% of college graduates between the ages of 25 and 34 were non-Black.
I'm aware, but DC and Atlanta have adjacent Black belt suburbs that buffer or offset any of that dilution. Black people are still opening businesses at high rates in both cities. I'm sure you have some data on this. Or least percentages of Black owned business by zip code or city/borough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City